Boggy did what ???? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Default Boggy did what ????

YEP Tom got up this morning ! Tom yr not trapping so how about posting trapping hints from equipment to setting to putting fur up? Big male bobcat crossed rd by house this morning plus next road a couple yotes and one fox..... whats in your part of the suburban area doing? Any squirrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM

Always a lot of squirrels around.Found a big dead possum last week at the back of my driveway.
Now after the snow we got the last couple of days,the crows are finally working on the possum.. I think they are more interested in the fur(for nest lining),than they are in actually eating it.
Tom

Yes I am a trap supply dealer.
Yes I have Lenons Muskrat,coyote,fox,Bobcat,fisher and Marten--4 ounce lures.
(651)436-2539
Also Blackies Blend ,his entire line of 1 and 4
0z. lures and his baits .Also my MoundMaster beaver Lures.
Wiebe knives and fleshing tools ,Too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeppers yr right on nest material, surprised your lab hasnt dragged possum up on back porch for you....LOL Crows are paired up and eagles and great horned owls sitting on nests.... robins back, no bluebirds yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM

I saw my first road killed Robin Friday, so spring must really be here LOL! Trees don't know whether to run sap or just bud out? Thinking I'll cook what ever sap I have tomorrow call it quits. Should end up with about 3 gal syrup if I have any amount of sap to cook tomorrow? Kept a bakers dozen of perch last Tuesday, couldn't beg a bite Wednesday.. I'm as confused as the weather.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Trees in town especially soft maple have huge buds already. In sugar bush nothing really, some trees leaking, boiling now but with this warm weather night and day, might be very short season.... Havent hit the crappie scene yet waiting for some more ice out. Missed you at WTA spring banquet put a pic of you Mac on power point at banquet dinner.....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:05 AM

RdFx
I just had so much going on I didn't drive up to Wausau again this year. That is one doings I enjoy though good people good eats... I pulled all my taps at the lake and I think I'm done playing with sap this spring. Just got the tree in my yard tapped and that didn't run only little yesterday. So may pull that too. I ended up with about 4 gallons syrup I think. I put it all in pint jars and lost count. My trees at the lake have small tops, aren't very sweet so it take a lot of that sap to make little syrup. I cooked all day Monday probably 60-70 gallons sap got just over gallon syrup. Not a spectacular return and I'm pretty stiff and sort from splitting wood and bending down to feed the burner. It was a beautiful day at the lake by myself and clear night sky showed me lots of stars, I sat out until 9pm. I sleep like a rock there at the camper, and except for my neighbors yard light, it's so dark and quiet compared to home. In the morning the wind was pushing on the new ice formed on lake last week. Ice was making that pinging, boinking sound like someone hitting guide wire on a steal tower. I'm told that is the sound they used for the lazer guns in Star Wars movie. Not the ice but someone hitting guide wires on radio tower with a hammer???? That analogy usually helps any one more in tune with Star Wars Movie than lake ice LOL!

Did the power point photo have a caption? "Have you seen this man?"

Mac

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

No quote on power point lol, i sent pic to son who did power pt.... finished batch of syrup last nite. 29 degrees here today Thurs and rain on the way, up to half an inch. Running otter traps and bvr, when otter tagged will pull traps. Going to start snooping for walleye and hope to hit crappies when warm enough.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Geeze RdFx
News makes it sound like the wild west up there by you. Bad deal any time Officers get shot up killed by someone. Sad deal.

Cooked my last couple buckets sap today so I'm officially done for the year. Counted all my jars and my total was 4.5 gallons syrup. Kind of like panning for gold move lot ground do lot work for little jar gold. It's so good! I'm far from big operation one man couple dozen small trees, so I'm happy with that much. Not like I'm selling any got to turn a profit.

I got an unused otter tag sitting on my desk. Pretty sure I could pop one on the river here in short order. But I didn't by tags for the river this year first time in many. Having had my hip replaced in September I really never set a trap for 2016-2017 season. Don't think I'm to many days away from running now if I want. Took the bike out peddled couple miles yesterday and that went well so will be doing more...I'll try to keep fishing much as can now until Mushroom and Turkey time..

Mac

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Yes wild west up here, to bad so many innocent people dead and shooter alive....my thoughts anyway. Trees ran like crazy last nite, 6 gallon buckets overflowing and same today, finished two batches of 12 gallons syrup yesterday. Trapping partner got one otter, now to fill my tag. I want my walleyes, dont have boat so i work shores in various places like stream mouths on Wi river.... need to taste those fillets and beans and bread.. Got to get back on mountain bike and keep my knees limber.... building a trap supply storage shed, selling down alot of my long line stuff, possibly new young trapper will benefit. Keep us informed when walleyes hit yr area and your water temp.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Tom
Your awful quiet? I'm guessing your not doing spring beaver? Busy selling art?
Once we get a couple nice days again where I can be outside in just flannel shirt. I have to go in a take my trap storage room apart end to end. Come next fall my kid wants to do a week or two at the camper running a mixed line. My traps are such a mess having only done hit and miss trapping for last 3 seasons. So I need to clean up straighten up get reorganized, clean dip and dye. Also have to do a bit of studying to trap based out of the camper. Only ever did that for the wolf I caught. No idea how to run a mixed line in forest type country. I've always run my big long lines in farm country. Mixed line in forest area be a whole different deal as to where to make sets. Did see a mixed bag of critters on bear baits couple falls back, so they are there.

Mac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page