What is up with our rabbit population????? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Default What is up with our rabbit population?????

:-\ This morning while checking email, I had a note from a Tx. outfitter who commented that rabbits seem to be down all across the country..he got this info. from the various hunters that came to his deer camps this fall..it was pretty amazing to me, he felt rabbits were down in even in Tx which I always thought was the rabbit capital of our nation..but I hear this comment quite abit as I travel, or visit with hunters from other areas..he felt it is a wide spread condition in our country...I know the areas I hunt frequently rabbits are pretty scarce...here in Wy. both Jacks and bunnies have been down for many years...I think the last excellent year I had for bunnies was in the late 80's..I see a few, but nothing like I did years ago..BUT the number of eagles, coyotes, hawks, and ravens is tremendous right now...he also commented on the lack of quail.. they have failed to return even though conditions have been excellent for nesting...I know our game birds have never reached the numbers in the 80's..Could just be a cycle, but it seems like a long down ward cycle and slow upward cycle.. I sometimes wonder if these small animals might not be the indicators of the quality of our natural enviornment..just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Re: What is up with our rabbit population?????

I don't know if its true or not. But I always remember my grandfather telling me that rabbit populations went in cycles, more and more until a spike in population then next to none the following year until it builds too many again then repeats... IIRC it was 8 years..

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

> cw, I have heard the same thing...that is my point..rabbits aren't coming back...I hunt the same country I did in the 80's..the bunnies aren't there nor are the jacks..when I deer hunted this fall in Pa. there were only a very, very few spots with any rabbit tracks..in areas where they were abundant..I have been making trips to this country for the last 12 yrs. or so..the cycles aren't happening..In Wy. were I live, jacks are seldom seen..in the 80's hundreds could be found dead on the local highways..now it is kind of an event to see one..hunters in other places tell me the same story..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

I've lived in NW Colorado for over 30 years and I have the same question as WYO. Rabbit populations do cycle up and down but in the last 10 or 15 years I've not seen any increase as compared to what I had seen in '80s. It's gotten to where I hesitate to shoot a rabbit because there seem to be so few.

"'Tis a far better place I go to than I've ever been."
"'Tis a far, far better rest I go to than I've ever known."

The older I get....the better I was.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Wyo. Coyote Hunter, I think your name speaks volumes here. A dramatic increase in coyotes locally, and less and less farming.

Ben

Where is the ammo?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM

I agree; in the 80's there were rabbits all over Wyo and now I hardly see any at all. Same with Jackrabbits and prairie dogs. Something is going on??? In the area of Wyo that I frequent, I wonder if it has anything to do with land reclaimation after the area has been strip mined, or just strip mining itself? Once you tear up the upper 50 feet of the earth for miles and miles, even though you can put it back and make it LOOK natural, one can only imagine that the underground dwelling critters have to pay the price. ??? Who knows, maybe they have a hard time burrowing into the stuff afterward?? So, if those areas are trashed for the ground critters, that leaves the predators only the unmined areas in which to hunt. With LOTS of predators and pockets of natural unmined areas, maybe the populations of ground critters in unmined areas become overhunted?
....if any of that made sense...

I don't know how to explain any decreases in other areas that are not strip mined, however.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM

I've always had the crazy thought of breeding tons of prairie dogs and releasing them back to WYO so there is something to hunt. Maybe a rabbit program is needed? Heck, they did it for the ferrets.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM

have to agree with mechanic the yotes are eating good in sw pa lots of fox n yote tracks following the rabbit tracks going to start trapping next season the pheasents are on the decline also was out pheasent hunting in my fav spot i get 1 or 2 every time almost but not this year but sure is lots of the yote n fox tracks everywhere heres a pic of my buddy he got nice grey yesterday in our rabbit spot its the 5th one out of that spot and my other buddy got 2 yotes same spot and plenty more there im sure
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM

In the past every raptor was killed as soon as possible and the same for coyotes. Sadly there are so many birds of prey now (and other predators) that we have no rabbits, quail, or much of anything in the way of small game.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Everything wants to eat a wascally wabbit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page