Pistol Scope Information? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:21 PM

Very happy with my Bushnell 2-6x Trophy on my 14" T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have owned many yes Leupold is fine w/o a doubt But for the average person there are a lot of cheaper scopes that will serve one well I have had Bushnell, Simmons on not the hard kickers that served me well I have mostly Burris on my hard kickers and they have held up. As with Leupold Burris has the warranty that state they will honor repairs even if you are not the original owner So buying these two scopes if you get it and it isn't working send it to the factory and they will repair it free exceptions being abuse I've had very good dealings with Burris

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 06:20 PM
ddp

I have 2.5x8 Weaver on my Savage Striker 7mm08. It is a good quality scope that has handled the recoil for 18 years now. I wanted a Burris 3x9 with posiloc but the gun shop did not have one at the time and would have had to order. I was wanting to deer hunt with it the next weekend. I have acquired a Burris 2x7 without posilock but have not installed it. Anyway the Weaver is a good scope but if I was going to put a scope on a pistol it would be a Burris with Posilock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim-with-beavers View Post
I get the feeling you guy's have never looked through a burris
x2...been shooting them since early 80's...and taken over 40 head of big game since.

I'd recommend the 2x6 power.

I eliminate the field of view problem by keeping BOTH EYES OPEN. Works great and you can better follow a animal, and determine when it'll pass tween 2 trees and prepare for that shot.

Here's my daughter shooting the 41 mag with a Burris '83 model 2x that has never failed me since installing it in '83.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ars and 41 mag.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	147809  

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS
Buy a soldiers meal every chance you get!
Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea? Let's talk !
www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com

Last edited by 41 magnum; 01-08-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: add info
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 AM

I've tried Burris and Leupold both on my .44 Redhawk. It came to me 2nd hand with the Burris installed. The difficulty I have with both is lack of adequate eye relief. I can either keep my elbows bent or extend my arms to a proper, more stable position. Attempting to view my target through a fat, black rimmed donut isn't my idea of a good sight picture. Problem is all mine, not the scope to be sure. The iron sights turned out to be good to "minute of whitetail" to at least 60 plus yards. We're talking basket ball size vital zone here. I suppose if I carried shooting sticks or whatever...
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim-with-beavers View Post
I get the feeling you guy's have never looked through a burris

I have, many of them and swore off them years ago.
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 AM

I like a 2x leupold for any handgun getting scoped. I had one on the 730 I had and shot a couple deer out at 150 yards with it. Personaly wouldn't shoot farther then that with any handgun. 4x might be a bit better at that range but you give up to much with the close in stuff.

sixgun addict
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Lots of good handgun scopes out there & a lot of it depends on where you live & what you mount it on. In the Eastern US a good Red Dot or a 2X scope is a good option because the shots are usually close & it's also possible that they might be fast shots at a moving deer or hog.
Out here in the west where I live the shots can be on the long side & many times you can wish you had more power than 2X or a Red Dot, I've used both many times. Most of the time I use either a 4X Leupold or any number of Burris scopes & never, ever had a problem, either here or several other western states including Alaska & Africa. My Favorite for long range has always been the 3X12 Burris on my many single shot handguns but my all time favorite Burris was the discontinued 5X for all around shooting on big game & varmints.
Another fine glass is the 2X6 Busnell variable. You really need to match the scope set up to the target in mind as much as you can, although that's not always possible. The ideal situation is to have at least 2 different handguns scoped which gives you more options. If you go with the Red Dot then look at the Ultra Dots, they have a very good reputation for holding up under heavy recoil on the big guns. The 30mm is the best way to go.

Dick
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM

I have used multiple different types of hand gun scopes and now most of them work well. I like the weaver 2.5X8 ,good clear scope with decent field of view. I also like the old Simmons Gold metals from the past. Tough as nails scope and good optics.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM

I find a 2x8 Weaver hard to beat. They seem to hold up under the recoil of my 378GNR (405win necked down to .375)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page