Magnum Handgun Rounds; As a practical matter? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Good points Lloyd.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM

Most handgun fights do not end with one shot, my opinion is that's why so many shots today in gun fights. Not enough stopping power. All the wonder nines are good for several shots per instance but, not good enough on stopping power. Two Detroit LEOs determined long ago the best one shot fight stopper was a .357 Magnum with 125 grain bullet by either Winchester or Remington.
I believe todays ammo(9mm, .380) with todays gun falls short of yesterday's standards but, predators travel in pacts. Consider how many shots in todays gunfights, that's why they call them gangs
Let the flames begin, Long live the .45ACP, Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Might get hammered for this, but I think I'm missing something here. What is the point of the original question? I don't remember ever hearing or reading that any of the big magnum calibers were developed with self defense in mind. From what I remember, many were about hunting, some were about long range shooting.

Yes, some tout them as being good self defense calibers. I don't argue most shooters aren't up to using them for that.
Not settled on my opinion of using them. Yes, they bring more to the table, but they take away a lot if you miss. I've heard people say they won't miss, but those people mostly have never actually been in a gunfight. Those who have say differently.
I like a big magnum handgun, and have one that isn't very bad to shoot, but I don't get enough practice with it to carry it.
That, and it's freaking huge. Only be able to conceal it in winter.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Excellent points Gunfixr. My query is about the hundreds of thousand of two-inch and three-inch magnums out there, being touted by owners for self defense and carry, when not one in a hundred can actually handle one. Very good observation, that magnums "take away alot if you miss."

Not sure, but I seem to recall that the .357 Mag was originally developed and touted as the be-all and end-all police weapon, to replace the old .38 Specials in a four inch revolver.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Actually, Daniel B. Wesson's(of the original Smith & Wesson family) brain child. He killed just about every big game animal on North American continent with an 8 & 1/2" magnum, early twentieth century.
Steve.

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Good info SB.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov

''quick follow up shots''

that one always is mentioned
and the more i hear it the less i like it

that and '' an auto is quiker to reload and holds more rounds''

i just worry about how ''fast'' i can put ''one'' in the middle
and i want a big one
now the 454 might be slow with the first one
[never mind the follow up]
because you had bette have a good grip....preferably with 2 hands

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:27 PM

Yeah, the snubby magnums are touted as defense guns, but they came after.
I'd have to do some research, so I may be wrong, but I doubt you generally get any real "magnum" performance from less than about a 3-4" barrel. Might be able to custom load with faster powders to get it, but you'd have to keep them away from longer barrels.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 PM

So am I to understand more ain't better?

The nice thing about the magnum revolvers is you don't have to run em at full throttle unless you want to.

I bought my 327fed mag primarily to shoot 32 S&W through. But it's kinda nice to have a pocket full of kryptonite use if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Here is what I've heard about the. 357

Back in the Thirties, when there was a lot of bank robbing, police found that the .38 Special lead round nose was ineffective against car doors, etc. The round was boosted and adopted by many agencies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page