14" .44 Mag or 10"? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Default 14" .44 Mag or 10"?

I currently have a Contender with multpile barrels, dont we all? Anyway, with the exception of a lone 14" super-14 chambered in .44 Mag, the rest are all 10" barrels. I have to admit I really prefer the 10" over the 14" as far as handling and everything else goes, but dont know how much performance I would be giving up if I was to sell the 14 to fund a 10, or just trade for one. It currently wears a 4x scope, so the lenght of the sight plane isn't affected by the lenght of the barrel. What do y'all think? Would it be worth it to get rid of the 14" and replace it with a 10", or would y'all just stick with the 14" tube? Any pros/cons are appreciated in favor of either. My other barrels are .22LR, .30 Herret, and .357 mag, if that makes a difference in your opinion. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Re: 14" .44 Mag or 10"?

Like you I prefer the 10" barrels for most but not all calbers. I had a chart that showed the difference in velocities for a 10" and 14" barrel and the 44 Mag was one of those listed.

Of course I cannot find the chart but from memory I think the 10" barrel gives up about 50-75 fps versus the 14" barrel with most loads. For my use with the 44 Mag I sacrifice the velocity for the handier 10" barrel.

Shooting near max. loads I can attest that the 14" barrel does more to tame recoil. With a scoped 10" and a non-scoped 14" recoil is about the same to me.

Ken

NRA Life Member
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM

i had a 10" sold it and got a 14" some time's i miss the 10" barrel
butt most time's i dont ;D

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM

I hated the 14 so when young and dumb I cut it to ten and now I will put a brake on it and see.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I usually tend to not shoot the absolute max pressure loads anyway, so I am not getting the maximum velocity the 14" is capable of. That makes me think that the 10" would probably be a good compromise for me then. At the same time, the 14" shoots so well, I am not about to go cutting it and possibly ruin a great barrel. I know this wasn't the original plan, but part of me is starting to think that the best way to go would be to save up and buy a 10", and then try them side by side and keep the one I prefer. The down side of it all will be what to do if i end up liking both, and I haven't met a lot of guns I didn't like. If only the heater and AC hadn't just gone out a few days ago.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM

sounds like a good idea to me..that way you won't be sick if the new 10" doesn't shoot near as good as the 14"..

the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you" Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito. C.S. Lewis
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Lonegun, You might like a new style 12'' better than either 10" or 14" barrels. I have ,or had 10,12,14&16.25 lengths and like the 12" best. Great balance and good velocity. The older 10" bull barrels are not the same contour as the 12&14in barrels. I personally like the look of the larger forend on the 12in. Great for bench, pack or bi pod shooting, yet this length is still manageable when fired offhand. Try it, you might like it!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 PM

I agree with the 12" option. My first contender what the hunter package that came with a 12" .44 barrel with a muzzle tamer on it. I have had several 10" through 14" barrel over the years in many calibers. I always seem to go back to the 12" barrel or shorter just because it feels good to me and shoots well for me. You can still find these barrels out there if you look for them.

Jim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM

Location: Eastern Oregon, Spittin' distance from the Oregon Trail

I started with 12 inch barrels for my Encore and G2 pistols by accident. I handled other lengths at gun stores and shows. I like the 12 inch barrels and will stick with them.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I dislike muzzle-brakes, but a 12" doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Assuming they are made without muzzlebrakes also, that may be a great option. I know I'm about to be told I need to look at the new types of hearing protection available, and I will eventually, but at least up until this last hunting season, I have always hunted without hearing protection. I know hearing damage is cumulative, but I also believe that the one or two shots per year at deer are the least of my worries. Now if we're talking practice, I use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page