Good Cheap 45 LC - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Good Cheap 45 LC

Got hooked on the 45 LC by accident, I put a 45/410 barrel on an H&R shotgun frame I had laying around and I have a badass short rifle that shoots hole in a hole at 25 yards and will hit decent at 50 yards too. I sold my 40 s&w and my 38 super is at the ranch so I'm stuck in town with only my collection of 32 Mags. I want a decent 45 LC wheel gun, I'm thinking a cheapo cowboy or a Ruger convertible so I can jack around with 45 acp as well. Thoughts on 45 LC???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Handi's
357 Magnum
30/06
45/410 Survivor
20 Gauge Tracker II
R73 32 H&R Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Good Cheap 45 LC

got the Ruger new model Blackhawk Convertable 2 yrs ago. Since then have just about worn out my Dillon RL-550 trying to keep 45acp and 45 colt on hand. I have the Bisley model.

Gun Runner

I cant go to HE77,, cause satan has a restraining order against me.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I think you need to forget about finding a "good and cheap" .45LC revolver. The Uberti guns are good but these days are far from cheap. Might as well go with the Ruger. Personally I don't trust Pietta guns based on a sample of one I owned. They aren't that much cheaper than the Uberti anyway.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 AM

I've owned a wheelbarrow load of Blackhawks over the years and am still waiting for the first failure or disappointment. The .45 LC will handle some pretty violent loads as it comes from the factory, but a friend of mine had his converted to a five shot a number of years ago. This relocates the cylinder's bolt notches between the chambers instead of directly over them, allowing for a much stronger chamber. Seems like we were shooting 300 grain bullets at around 1500 fps out of that old gun, but I wouldn't swear to it. The several I've owned in .45 LC have been great shooters, but I've never had one of the Convertibles.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard
I think you need to forget about finding a "good and cheap" .45LC revolver. The Uberti guns are good but these days are far from cheap. Might as well go with the Ruger. Personally I don't trust Pietta guns based on a sample of one I owned. They aren't that much cheaper than the Uberti anyway.
+1 ;D

I've got 2 Ubertis.

If I were to get another it'd have to be a Ruger... flat top... adjustable sights... :P

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Another vote for the Ruger.

I recently bought a 5.5" barreled Blackhawk convertible, and I must say that it's a great revolver. It's probably the most accurate handgun I own. It loves 250 gr. XTPs and 2400. I'm so enamored with it, I haven't even shot any ACPs through it yet. Ruger Blackhawks are really a great gun, and difficult to beat.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Don't know if there is such a creature as a "good cheap .45". If you really want a convertible or are planning to use powerhouse loads you need to go with a Ruger Blackhawk. If you are not stuck on a convertible or heavy loads consider a late model (last five years or so) Uberti.
A few years back I bought a Uberti "El Patron" SA new for $500. Don't know what more one could ask for, great fit and finish, factory action/trigger job, Wolf springs from the factory. My sights are dead on at 50' and my first five shots out of the box grouped 2.5 inches at that range with two handed non-resting hold. I also have a mid 80s Blackhawk in .357/9mm. When compared to the Uberti the Blackhawk fit and finish is an ugly redheaded stepchild. I also have small hands so the Colt clone Uberti fits me much better than the Blackhawk.
GuzziJohn
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 PM

get a ruger... my 44 super blackhawk survived a way over charged reload without a scratch. The other shots from that cylinder sounded like a 22 compared to that one round. My hand felt like a truck had run over it, but i did not even have a scratch... dont think that is possible with anything but a ruger.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Blackhawk, Blackhawk, Blackhawk!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention Blackhawk.

OK, SuperRedhawk too if you want a different answer than the other four above.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 PM

Just in case no one's mentioned it yet I recommend a Blackhawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page