Where are y'all??? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Where are y'all???

I'm here.. Have been enjoying my latest purchase. A flat top 44 special. It could end up being my favorite. Shooting the elmer keith load of 7.5 gr. unique with the lyman 429421 bullet. Have started powder coating the bullets. Still get out the SBH hunter 44 mag., SBH 45 colt , and the BFR 500JRH to shoot, but mostly the 44 special. Just put up a 32" x 32" steel target for long range handgun. Eager to see what i can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid aliens had abducted everyone on the forum. Glad to see everyone's alive and well. I too don't seem able to have near the range time I used to have. Will try to change that. Am anxious to use my new old Colt SAAs. If I can ever figure how to copy and post photos from my email to here, I'll show you the pair of Colts I'm talking about.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 AM

I haven't had much time to get to the range but the last two trips I've been shooting the bisley single six at both the 100 and 200 yard steel plates with the iron sights and with enough hits to make it interesting.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP
I haven't had much time to get to the range but the last two trips I've been shooting the bisley single six at both the 100 and 200 yard steel plates with the iron sights and with enough hits to make it interesting.

Bruce
Yep, It's lots of fun using a six-gun for offhand long range shooting. Haven't tried it with my single actions, but could bust clay pigeons set at the 100 yd berm pretty regularly with my S&W Model 19 W/ 6" barrel, target trigger and hammer. (Shooting it single action style, of course.) Sweet!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:44 AM

I've been shooting my 44 special Ruger flattops a bit, had them sighted in for 429421 cast 245/250 gr. bullets, decided to try some 429215 bullets, I liked them so well I raised up the rear sight a few clicks on the Blackhawk and decided those would be the normal load for that one. These bullets are about 230 grains lubed and gas checked, a tad heavier than some other 429215 from what I've read, but I really like them a lot out of the 44 spl Blackhawk. I left the other 44 spl (Bisley) sighted in for the 245/250 grainers. I am wondering why I never tried the 429215 design before, they sure are easy to work up loads for, I just used the same power charge I used for the 250's and that was good enough. Plus the sight on that Blackhawk was only one click off the bottom for 250's, I raised it up about three more clicks for these 230 grainers. I really like that bullet.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Jimster,

Thanks for posting. I haven't tried a .44 Special but, from what I've read the cartridge gets lots of praise. My personal big bore all-time favorite is .45 Colt, loaded with a 255 grain lead projectile on top of a case full of black powder . I've used a pair of Ruger Vaqueros and a Rossi '92 SRC so chambered, for cowboy shooting and enjoy the authentic sound, smoke, and "aroma" of genuine BP.

Cleburne
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:36 PM

These have been keeping me busy.
Hunter is 44 mag Bisley. Liked it so much I converted my BH45 colt to Bisley and added the bone grips.
Bought the single six as a regular and converted it to Bisley also so it'd match the other 2. Bummer, cant find Bisley hammer for Single Six. Homemade grip on SS. Still need a little fitting on the SS also.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trio.JPG (248.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 44hunter.JPG (208.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 45bh.JPG (200.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ss_conv.JPG (217.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg trio.JPG (248.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 44hunter.JPG (208.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 45bh.JPG (200.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss_conv.JPG (217.8 KB, 4 views)
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

hpdrifter - Nice collection of Bisley's. I have just one Bisley, a .44 mag super, and I like that grip when shooting the heavy stuff.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bisley 44.JPG (500.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bisley 44.JPG (500.1 KB, 5 views)

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Thanks. 2 of the 3 weren't Bisleys to start. I liked the Bisley grip also. The Hunter came as a Bisley, I changed the others to the Bisley.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeasy
hpdrifter - Nice collection of Bisley's. I have just one Bisley, a .44 mag super, and I like that grip when shooting the heavy stuff.

Larry
Agreed, nice group of Bisleys. I currently have a couple "old" model Vaqueros and a New Model birdshead. All stainless, all chambered in .45 Colt, all used with black powder loads.

Had an original Bisley Vaquero with 4 3/4" barrel years ago and foolishly sold it when I stopped shooting CAS regularly. I miss it now. Maybe one day I'll have another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page