SAA & a Luger. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Default Re: SAA & a Luger.

what i had chambered up that night was my hunting load of a 158 grain hard cast keith style bullet over 15+ grains of powder fired by a magnum primer.. its a fairly stout load.

from what i understand mother ruger made the new model vaquero with the smaller dimensions for the CASS crowd wanting a colt clone size . i have read the vaq is the same size, others say its a bit larger and some claim it just feels different, i dunno but i like mine.

i have cartridges charged with black powder, black powder subs and smokeless powders and it runs flawlessly and shoots better than i can and it loves the 158 grain bullets .

GoodYear Arizona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibaer
what i had chambered up that night was my hunting load of a 158 grain hard cast keith style bullet over 15+ grains of powder fired by a magnum primer.. its a fairly stout load.

from what i understand mother ruger made the new model vaquero with the smaller dimensions for the CASS crowd wanting a colt clone size . i have read the vaq is the same size, others say its a bit larger and some claim it just feels different, i dunno but i like mine.

i have cartridges charged with black powder, black powder subs and smokeless powders and it runs flawlessly and shoots better than i can and it loves the 158 grain bullets .

15+? Holy moly what powder are you using? And with a 158, that's not stout that's suicide lol.
I like the Vaquero it found its own little nitch in the SA line up and it fills that nicely.
And the handling isn't that much differant than a Colt or the clones.
It's the preferred revolver in the competition they do out in Arizona, shooting from horseback at a fast gallop.

I had an insurance agent who used us to investigate claims of lightning damage to equipment who did that
kind of shooting. And she was very good at it, she raved about the vaquero and so did the other riders.
It was the only gun they would use, of course they had done a lot of expensive tuning on them.
Hers was worth $2,500.00, but the winning purse in that competition can be 10x that amount.

They took that very seriously obviously, and she said she had never seen a Colt being used.
The 45lc was the preferred caliber because of the bullet weight knocking over the steel targets.
But there were 357s useing hot loads like you described and she said they did just as good a job.
Scibear those guys acually had sponsers it's a sport, and Ruger would at times show up for the publicity.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 PM

15.5 grains of H110 .. its my standard go-to hunting load

suicide ? na, they shoot real nice , smooth and accurate

i have some made up with H4227 too... but i double lube those

GoodYear Arizona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I figured it must be the powder, bullseye would blow that gun up.
So are you partial to 158gr over 125gr? All I use is 125, but that's in my model 27.
I don't own any SA revolvers in 357, I'm thinking about a six inch Blackhawk my gun store has had a long time.
But I can't decide on it or a vaquero in 357, how accurate is your vaquero?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:29 PM

yes, the 158 grain semi wadcutter ( keith style ) bullet is my favorite by far.

i have used bullets as light as 89 grains ( a lead bullet for the .380 ) for some loads, but i normally practice like i play ( full power loads )

my vaquero is dead on accurate at 25 yards or closer... with the sights as they are ( blade and groove ) i have tuned my loads to shoot to point of aim at 25yds

i have made a few mods to mine, but i have not touched the sights and it shoots real well. my barrel is the 4 5/8 inch model.

GoodYear Arizona
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

That is a gun slingers gun lol. With a barrel like that I bet it's pretty loud in 357.
I just like SA revolvers, even my double actions I still use then single action anyway.
Habit I guess, it's my thumbs fault.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM

with the H110 i get a bit of flame from the barrel .. not alot but just enough to notice it.
yes its loud

a short story... went to the local indoor shooting range, well known place. it was a full house that day, guys shooting all kinds of handguns. after about the 3rd cylinder full, two guys complained to the manager that my gun was bothering them.
mark the range master, asked me what i was shooting , making sure it was safe and all. i showed him and he asked if he could shoot it.. he ran a full cylinder down range, and said "wow" .. and let me continue on.
the guy in the stall next to me , said he's had enough ( of my muzzle blast i guess ) and left. he was shooting a glock 9mm.

i appologized to the manager and packed up and went home. i dont think its all that bad. but i guess it is for some folks.
the 357 used to be the king, then with all the light weight guns out there for ccw carry, they have effectively watered down the book loads and the factory ammo for it.

i shoot the 357 like it ( elmer and bill ) was intended to be shot .. nothing against those new 125 grain ccw loads , but its full power magnum power for me

GoodYear Arizona
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

A wimp at the range crying about your gun? I would be to embarrassed to do that, was his gun dura coat pink lol. You can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Nothing much against a 9mm, some of the new loads are hotter than a 38. But they are sure no 357 either one.
357 can hold its own up against any magnum I've seen where they took down a ferrel hog with one shot.
I've read story's where they have even killed a charging bear.
But there is nothing wrong with your revolver or your loads, I sure wouldn't mind haveing a gun like that.
The only one where I couldn't handle the noise was a 223 AR short barrel pistol, it was nearly unusable.
Unless you walk around wearing ear muffs all the time. Useless gun very inaccurate.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:55 PM

well it does carry some stout muzzle blast but yeah, he quit shooting after complaining about it / me :

to be honest, its not that loud when i shoot it outside. the walls and stall dividers make it louder i think.

GoodYear Arizona
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

We only have an outdoor range and it's in town. Out here you just find the nearest caliche pit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page