Blackhawk convertible??? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Moderator
 
scibaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,791
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11
I've read where a 9mm bullet will pass for a 38, but I've never tried it before. Interesting.
i have. ive loaded and shot bullets intended for a .380, 9mm, and .38 special all in 357mag cases out of my 357mag ruger sa

the 380 and 9mm are both about .356 diameter , the .38 special is .357 as is the 357mag ...other that the poi being different due to weight, they shot just fine

Dave, in Phoenix, AZ
scibaer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,612
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibaer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11
I've read where a 9mm bullet will pass for a 38, but I've never tried it before. Interesting.
i have. ive loaded and shot bullets intended for a .380, 9mm, and .38 special all in 357mag cases out of my 357mag ruger sa

the 380 and 9mm are both about .356 diameter , the .38 special is .357 as is the 357mag ...other that the poi being different due to weight, they shot just fine

I've always wondered, but I've never tried it. How about the reverse? 38 lead cast through a 9mm?
It may not be a real smart thing to try. Believe I'll pass on that.
Argent11 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Moderator
 
scibaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,791
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

yes, you can use a bullet meant for a 38 special in a 9mm case.
they are both .356 diameter.

if you are using the appropriate powder charge you'll be ok
a bullet that is .356 in diameter will work in any cartridge that requires a .356 bullet for the cartridge

i have even used a very light 89 grain cast bullet meant for the 380 in a cut down 38 special case with 1 grain of powder for a cat sneeze load to shoot indoors or outside for a very quiet subsonic load in my ruger vaquero

Dave, in Phoenix, AZ
scibaer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,612
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibaer
yes, you can use a bullet meant for a 38 special in a 9mm case.
they are both .356 diameter.

if you are using the appropriate powder charge you'll be ok
a bullet that is .356 in diameter will work in any cartridge that requires a .356 bullet for the cartridge

i have even used a very light 89 grain cast bullet meant for the 380 in a cut down 38 special case with 1 grain of powder for a cat sneeze load to shoot indoors or outside for a very quiet subsonic load in my ruger vaquero

I'm going to try that because I have lots of 38 cast lead I bought. But I love to shoot my 92 I can work that gun with one hand. I can with my 1911 but not as well and you never know when one hand is all you can use.
It would be great for plinking, and knowing that I can experiment.
Thanks Scibaer, if I die I will come back and haunt you lol.

Argent11 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Moderator
 
scibaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,791
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

if your cast lead bullets are .356 to .358 and have a nose that will work with the feed ramp in your 92 and not hang up you should be ok.
use an appropriate powder charge for whatever weight bullet you are working with.

your not going to die just watch your COAL too , make sure you seat them to the right length so they will fit your magazine.


Dave, in Phoenix, AZ
scibaer is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,612
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibaer
if your cast lead bullets are .356 to .358 and have a nose that will work with the feed ramp in your 92 and not hang up you should be ok.
use an appropriate powder charge for whatever weight bullet you are working with.

your not going to die just watch your COAL too , make sure you seat them to the right length so they will fit your magazine.
10/4, I have data on that gr bullet in cast for 9mm. But I shoot it a lot it would be nice to do something with all that 38. Boxes boxes of this stuff I got 5000 bullets for 50 bucks.
Argent11 is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Moderator
 
scibaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,791
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

if it were me.. id use the lowest powder charge i could get away with.
and target shoot them... maybe get your wife some training / practice too

Dave, in Phoenix, AZ
scibaer is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 10,990
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Used cast 38 bullets in a S&W 639 years ago when I shot Bullseye. Mine were a bit heavier than any 9mm load data bullets but, for me, cast bullets are always a lower velo loading. I started low from the data and upped the charge by 1/10gr. increments until the slide fully functioned all the time. They were sweet and punched tight holes. As has been said, feeding may be an issue so keep the ramp clean. Some semi-auto's will feed SWC as well as round nose. DO NOT seat the trial bullet too deep into the case or you will get bulging; the interior case wall tapers to thicker in there. You must have a balance of OAL and bullet length that does not compromise your cases. You may need to size the bullets to .356. Lee's Push Through Die system is pretty nice and inexpensive. They also make 9mm specific bullet moulds.
FWIW, Colt's well regarded 38 revolvers used to be a .356 bore and a gain twist.

Anyone who wants to fundamentally change the USA is not a Patriot.
Many things in life are negotiable but not Honor or Integrity.
Celebrating the 2nd Independence Day of the USA as of Noon on Jan.20 2017, We have thrown off the yoke of bondage of the Dem/Socialists and taken back our Constitutional Republic.
gcrank1 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,095
Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

I had one years ago (mid '70s) and traded it for a Yamaha 250 dirt bike......about the dumbest thing I ever did.........

It was very accurate with 38 SPL and 357 Magnum cast bullets (mostly 358477s and 358156s). Shot milsurp 9mm not much more accurate than the M39 and M59 I had at the time. However, with 358242s, 356402s and the 358156s all sized .357 the 9mm cylinder was every bit as accurate as with the 38/357 cylinder.

Larry Gibson
Larry Gibson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome