Blackhawk convertible??? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Blackhawk convertible???

Any one use a ruger blackhawk convertible in 357 mag. 9 mm.???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Blackhawk convertible???

Yes, I have one, a 5.5" barrel, 9mm/357. I like it, point of impact varies slightly between different loads, but it is a pleasure to shoot. It's a well made gun, like most all Rugers. It weighs a ton. What else do you want to know?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 05:49 PM

I've read where a 9mm bullet will pass for a 38, but I've never tried it before. Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:15 PM

I have one that I bought new in the mid 80s. Grip to frame finish is poor and as already stated, it is hefty. That said it has a decent trigger, is very accurate in .38SP and .357 and just a bit less so with the 9mm.
GuzziJohn
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 PM

Bought one years ago I think during Clinton reign Thoughts were a 3 in 1. 357,38 spec and 9mm.. Nice little prepper revolver. Had it out a few times but I dont care for the grip angle. Prefer stainless double action either S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Easier reloading and I like the grip better. Still have the BH for bad times.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM

So what do you do when you want to change calibers, change out the cylinder?
I can see shooting an ACP round through a SA revolver because they have the ejector rod.
But the only DA I know of where you don't need the clips is the Charter Arms, unless others are starting to copy thier design. My wife has one in 40S&W, when you flop the cyl. out to eject the shells.
These little tabs fold out and catch the rims and they pop right out. Then they fold back in, a really smart set up by them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:58 PM

The 9mm is a separate cylinder. The cylinders are cut so that the 9mm round drops in to the correct depth and then stays there. No clips needed.
GuzziJohn
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 PM

That's what I thought, clips are only for the ejection of the shell. This Ruger uses an ejection rod.
Colt can out with a SAA 45acp, it was nice but very expensive.
S&W still uses the clips, but them and Taurus are trying to now copy the Charter Arms design.
Clip revolvers don't sell that well anymore.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM

I have had two, and both work well. Only reason I traded off the newer one is it was to nice to shoot. Kept the more finish worn one. 9mm cylinder changes point of impact a bit. Similar to the shift between .357 and .38. All in all a fun firearm to shoot. Interestin that some +p 9mm cronos almost as high as some .357, but recoil much less.

Have lights? Thank a Lineman!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflineman
I have had two, and both work well. Only reason I traded off the newer one is it was to nice to shoot. Kept the more finish worn one. 9mm cylinder changes point of impact a bit. Similar to the shift between .357 and .38. All in all a fun firearm to shoot. Interestin that some +p 9mm cronos almost as high as some .357, but recoil much less.

That is odd I've noticed that as well. They are really tweeking around with the 9mm lately. I've seen loads that were much hotter than a 38. And they are playing around with the Hornady 147gr JHP with all these new powders coming out. I saw where they say that is one deadly round.
But you have to use it in a strong gun like a Glock or a 92. But I'm sure the Ruger would have no problems.
The Marines are testing the 147 in combat loads in their 92s. So far so good but if your going to do that how about a Kimber 1911? But even Kimber is messing around with the 9mm.

15 rounds in something close to a 357? In a production semi auto? Yea I would say that would do the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page