Heritage Arms legality change ? (Melting point laws) - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Default Heritage Arms legality change ? (Melting point laws)

Every website says these dont comply with the "melting point laws" in place for states that regulate them. However, my gun shop can get them in now..
I was briefly told it was due to Taurus buying Heritage and changing the frame material make up on them to Aluminum alloy instead of the "zinc alloy" ..
Can any one provide any insight to this legality for me please ?
Much appreciated !
-Ryan

Z.R.US on YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Heritage Arms legality change ? (Melting point laws)

I haven't read anything on this. Would you by any chance have any links to anything about this?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

[size=14px](720 ILCS 5/24‑3)[/size][/color][/size][size=14px]"(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer, manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled. "can be referenced at [/color]http://www.ilga.gov/...=072000050K24-3[/color]

My situation is pertaining to the Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22LR .. The online places ive talked to will not send them to IL. I talked (Chted text) to a rep from HeritageMFG. and heres what i got from that :

Susan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:00:26 AM[/color][/size]
[/color]
Thank you for contacting Customer Care. My name is Susan. How can I assist you today.

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:02:32 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
I was just looking for information pertaining to the material composition of the frame on the Heritage Rough Rider in 22LR, .. In ILLINOIS we were prohibited from buying these due to the previous materials used.. can you lend any info on the subject ?

Susan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:03:43 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
Hello Ryan - what is your question

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:03:59 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
The issue was with the "Melting Point Laws" ..

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:04:06 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
I was just looking for information pertaining to the material composition of the frame on the Heritage Rough Rider in 22LR, .. In ILLINOIS we were prohibited from buying these due to the previous materials used.. can you lend any info on the subject ?

Susan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:05:23 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
yes I can answer a specific question if you have one

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:06:53 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
Can you tell me what the previous make up of the frame used to be and what they are now ? Im writing an article for presentation and would like some insight on the subject.

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:09:36 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
My specific question is : What are the frames made of on the Rough Rider 22LR currently.. I was under the impression that were made from Zinc alloy, and now are different

Susan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:10:18 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
they always have been an aluminum alloy now we have models are made of steel

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:12:39 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
Not pertaining to the steel frames, but I ask because Illinois was prohibited from buying selling the Rough rider 22LR due to the melting point laws. And now my gun shop can actually receive them.. so if you havnt changed the frames, then IL must have changed a law..

Susan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:14:26 AM[/color][/size][size=14px]
yes that may be the case

Ryan[/size][size=10px][/color] 1:14:40 AM[/color][/size][size=12px]ok, thank you for your time

And after all of this, my Dealer tells me that we can get them now because Taurus bough Heritage arms and the material are now made of Aluminum alloy. ... [/size][size=14px]

Z.R.US on YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 02:30 AM

So this was a state of Illinois confusing things and making things harder on gun owners again thing? I hope you can get them straightened out and get them to quit messing with you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

The melting point law applies to IL and MI... i do believe its applied to a couple other states as well..

Z.R.US on YouTube
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonegun1894
So this was a state of Illinois confusing things and making things harder on gun owners again thing? I hope you can get them straightened out and get them to quit messing with you.

Melting point laws targeted "Saturday Night Specials" like those produced by Raven, Jennings, Phoenix, Lorcin, etc. All these companies specialize in small semi-autos in 22LR or 25ACP with cheap zinc alloy frames. Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York currently have melting point laws and South Carolina used to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM

SC used to prevent the sale of all Heritage Handguns except those with steel frames. About 5 years ago I bought a six inch barreled .22mag/.22 LR model with the aluminum alloy frame here in Columbia, SC at a newly opened Academy Sports store. They were selling like hot cakes at the time. It seemed that the use of aluminum and polymers in newly designed AR-15s and military arms had calmed peoples fears. We also have a really good firearms lab at the State Law Enforcement Division H.Q. here that provides R&D and state of the art information in firearms design. BTW my Heritage .22 mag is one of my favorite firearms and has been my go to plinker for TIN CAN EXTERMINATOR duties.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Melting point laws were/are nothing but "backdoor" gun bans. They serve no purpose other than to prevent citizens from buying budget firearms.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 PM

They have always been available in Michigan. (MI) 44 Man

H&R 158 30-30, Savage 219 30-30 plus 30-30AI barrel, Win M70 featherwt 30-06, DPMS .556
I hear people say, a loving God would not send anyone to **** and I agree; you make that choice yourself!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce
Melting point laws were/are nothing but "backdoor" gun bans. They serve no purpose other than to prevent citizens from buying budget firearms.
amen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page