.44Spl. bullet size - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Default .44Spl. bullet size

Opinions needed: I'm going tomorrow to a reloading supply house I've never visited hoping to find some hard cast .44 bullets for my Ruger flattop, new model. I've had the gun for two years, but have not been able to hand load ammo that matches my accuracy demands. The best my gun will do is with factory DoubleTap jhp's, 200 grns. I want a heavier cast bullet, maybe 250 grains that will give me the accuracy of the old standby of 7.5 grains of Unique.

My question is, what size bullet should I buy? The LBT's from my .45Colt are 300 grains over 2400 and are absolutely amazing in accuracy, and I so want a load for the .44 that I can hunt with that has similar accuracy. Bullet diameter is my concern. Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated because I so love the Ruger flattop. Don't mind buying other propellants or primers, although I have many non-magnum large pistol primers and lots of Unique.

I would especially like to hear from .44 flattop owners. Velocity is not so nearly important to me as accuracy. I'm looking for 1.5 inches at 25 yards.

Thanks in advance. God bless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: .44Spl. bullet size

I shoot .430" Lyman 429421 in mine. I have bought them from several places and all shoot far better than my old eyes and shaky hands can these days. In fact I've shot a few groups that would have made me proud back when I actually was a good shooter and shot competition weekly.

Mine has the 5.5" barrel and Bisley grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Single Actions 027a.jpg (359.0 KB, 13 views)

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Ive had probably 20 ruger 44 mags through the years and 430 seems to work well in all of them. I wouldn't fool with anything as heavy as a 300 in the special. If you like lbt bullets id look and see if he has about a 260 grain lfn. If I wanted the best possible accuracy id stick with an lfn and not a wfn and id prefer it with a gas check. Lots of good shootinging bullets for the 44s. Greybeard advice is sound too but ill say ive seen some 44s like various 240-250 swcs fine and some that didn't. For the most part any gun that will shoot decent will do well with an lfn. this advice goes against what I myself like. I like a keith or swc because they just look right. the 44 spec is a traditional old round and to me just should be loaded with a swc. But I'm willing to put in the work to overcome there sometimes cantankerous habbits. Ill tell you my favorite bullet for them but I doubt youll find them and will have to cast your own. Its the 240 rcbs swcgc. that bullet is accurate in about everything and still looks right and flys well at long range. Ive yet to find a 44 that didn't like it.

sixgun addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm off to Daytona where I'm told there's a great reloading supply house. Again, thank you. I'll look for .430.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Well, I am a 45 shooter, but a bullet dosen't know what diameter it is. The cylinder openings, combined with the barrel dia. is whats needed to know... Measure the throats of the cylinder.

I too like the looks of a SWC best as a shooting bullet. It makes a good game bullet as well, IMHO just not as good as a WFN. If your going sonic a GC would be a good addition. As a rule I always go GC as when I buy bullets, (Or cast them) I dont know what I will need that bullet to do. To my mind, having one when its not needed isn't as detrimental as NOT having when when it IS needed. :

Here is some reading...

http://www.mountainmolds.com/helpRevolver.htm

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/measurebore.shtml

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Good advice, cw. I'm back from the "reloading supply house," which turned out to be smaller than my bathroom. But I did find some .430 SWC, hard cast, but not gas check. I really wanted gas check. I suppose I will have to order online, but these look very nice, except packaged poorly, just lose in a bag. No powder. They acted like Unique didn't exist. I do have some 2400 on hand; might try that. If I can get about 900fps with the accuracy I require I'll be okay. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 AM

try 12 grains of 2400.

sixgun addict
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:39 AM

Well, I'm late to the party with a response but the Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 gr. RNFP .431" available from Midway and others, gives best accuracy in my 2 Ruger Flat Tops (7-1/2" an 4-5/8"). Those guns and my Bulldog prefer .431" to .430", and 200 to the 240 SWC. YMMV.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Miss Lilly: I do not believe that attaining 1.5" groups at 25 yds is not possible but, you are shooting a Ruger and Rugers are known for having a 'crush fit' barrel to the frame which in effect sizes the bullet to the diameter of the crush fit at the forcing cone as it moves down the barrel. If the crush fit at the forcing cone is smaller than the bore diameter it is doubtful you will ever have any accuracy with cast bullets. Also, you may need to measure the mouths of your chambers to see if any are undersized and should be opened up or at least polished.
Rugers are built like tanks and rough barrels are not uncommon. You may wish to venture on down to Veral Smith's forum and read what he has to say about bore-lapping or fire-lapping to improve accuracy with cast bullets and to attain jacketed bullet accuracy and velocity with cast bullets. Very informative. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

That helps very much, Mikey. I'm surprised that you said you don't believe 1.5 inch groups are impossible. Is that because of the gun or the cast bullets? 1.5 has always been my standard of "good enough." I achieved that and better with cast bullets in my .45C, 4/58 Blackhawk. Must I got to jacketed bullets to get that level of accuracy? If so, I will. Not overly educated on the .44Spl, except I am in love with it. My best groups so far have been factory DoubleTap jhp's, 180 grain, but they are not 1.5 inch capable, more like 2.5. I simply must do better with sufficient velocity for hunting. I thought maybe hard cast bullets would do that for me. Further advice is much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page