Why no swing out cylinder single actions. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Default Why no swing out cylinder single actions.

Why has not anyone manufactured a single-action center fire revolver with a swing out cylinder that ejects and loads like a DA? I do almost all of my revolver shooting single action with DA revolvers. A SA would be a simpler mechanism but I got rid of my SA long ago because of the loading/reloading hassle, especially when the gun was hot or I was hurried.

A feature article in an old Gun Digest mentioned an exhibition shooter who had a custom gun he used in his shows. Is it just another historical artifact like SA guns loading from the wrong side because Sam Colt was a lefty and he designed guns to be convenient for himself and not the majority of shooters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225
Default Re: Why no swing out cylinder single actions.

Don't know about Sam Colt, but I have seen Colt Officers Model Targets advertised as having been converted to single action and one that was advertised as factory produced as a single action. Those are swing out revolvers for target shooting.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:29 AM

I would assume that any double action swing-out revolver could be easily converted to single action only, by having a competent gunsmith remove or file down a few parts. Am I wrong?

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 AM

Gun Cabinet

I'd guess nostalgia is a big reason why traditional single actions are how they are. Both Colt and S&W did offer SA only revolvers with swing out cylinders for bullseye shooters. They, I would assume, were unpopular, or they would still be produced.

Really, in the modern DA revolver, there is no downside. Shoot it SA if you desire, and take advantage of the usually crisp SA trigger pull they offer, and still have the option of DA fire for self defense practice.

Kind of a solution looking for a problem.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock
I would assume that any double action swing-out revolver could be easily converted to single action only, by having a competent gunsmith remove or file down a few parts. Am I wrong?

Mannyrock

There are SA only conversion kits available for S&W's, and I believe Colts as well. Some might offer a slightly faster lock time than the traditional DA system, when fired SA, but I really cant see anyone, other than, maybe, an Olympic class shooter being able to take advantage of the minuscule reduction in hammer fall time.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:56 AM

Ruger made the Hawkeye back in the 60's, quit production because of poor sales, caliber offered might have played a part in this also.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/191389...le-shot-pistol

Edit; reading comprehension is important, I read swing out single shot not single action...............oops!!..........

"People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM

I assume you mean in the "colt" configuration? Most of us want SA to look like the traditional guns. Modern DA doesn't havethe same feel, natural point as the old Colts. I am LH and don't really figure the loading gate is more convenient, it is on the side where you use your right hand, which is usually the more dexterous. A lot of lefty designers do think of the major market when designing things. I think Ruger was LH, but you found few of his designs being that way, or even ambidextrous.

What I really like is open tops, the strength keeps them from being any hot caliber.

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM

OK, now I get it. You are looking for a cowboy type gun, but with a swing out cylinder.

Yes, I would love to have a Colt Peacemaker or Ruger Vaquero with a swing out. I'd buy it in a second.

But, apparently the big market for Colts and other cowboy guns are cowboy shooters, and they wouldn't give these a second glance. So, no market, and no production.

Closest you can get is a break-top Schofield.

Mannyrock

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:42 PM

It makes , but I'm a traditionalist and like the SA's the way the were made back then. Although I love my Ruger SA's, I'd betray my boyfriend if I could have a real Colt, even a 3ed generation. Looks and balance and pointability. The clicks when cocking. The beautiful simplicity. Not a good carry gun, not much of a hunting handgun, extremely slow to reload, but still my favorite of all handguns. The image of a Colt SAA comes into my brain when someone says "forty-five." I think if I had one and the factory fixed sights hit to point of aim with a medium to stout load, I'd want for no more guns.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Miss Lilly,

You are sounding better all of the time!

Mannyrock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page