posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ

Hello guys, I kind of have a differant take on some of this, I have asked for favorite loads on a couple of differant rifle cartridges. OF COURSE I checked the replies with a couple of differant manuals just to be sure they were within safe working limits. I only have so many differant powders on hand. And I know there is someone here who has tried other loads, seating depths etc.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreed
Hello guys, I kind of have a differant take on some of this, I have asked for favorite loads on a couple of differant rifle cartridges. OF COURSE I checked the replies with a couple of differant manuals just to be sure they were within safe working limits. I only have so many differant powders on hand. And I know there is someone here who has tried other loads, seating depths etc.
John
I could tell you all my secret, favorite loads and none would propably do you any good. The main most important factor in the reloading equation, is the gun. No two guns will shoot alike. So all this information is more then likely useless to you.

I work up loads for all my guns, even if they are the same calibers. But if you are not really worried about consistant shot placement or POA/MOA reliablility -- then just go and buy factory ammo. This would be the easiest and less troublesome route to take.

Just another voice in the crowd!!!

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM

Just to add another suggestion. Do you think it would be a good idea to require a certain minimum amount of information with load data. Some people will list just the powder charge and bullet weight.

I would think that as a minimum for heavy loads you would need to know: Bullet style, weight, Powder type and weight, OAL, brass brand, primer brand and type, and crimp info. I always like it when people come straight out and SAY this is a heavy load.

Even a new reloader ought to know his limits. I didn't play with other people's heavy loads when I first started. In fact I still don't. Although I eventually cooked up some of my own, mainly because I just can't find published data on 200 gr. lead and Lil' Gun in .357s.

Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Too many people use even the manuals incorrectly. They go right to the MAXIMUM and maybe a little more, banking on the assumption that the published load has a 'safety factor' built in. Nothing could be more wrong. I've been reloading cartridges for over 45 years, and I have NEVER found a max or near-max load to be as accurate as a milder one. Some of the most accurate cartridges I ever loaded were with the little Lee 'loader in a box' that used scoops. As a young, underpaid guy with three babies to feed, I couldn't afford the nice RCBS set-up I have today. And those mild loads with safe scooped charges shot as well or better than factory. In a couple of cases, MUCH better. This is the reason that manuals give a loading RANGE (I don't even think they should call it Minimum and Maximum.) Somewhere in this SAFE RANGE you will find the best accuracy for your gun. Rest assured, it will not need to wring the last xx feet per second of velocity from your bullet to do the job. It will usually be found that the optimum load is 3-5% below the safe limit. And that's the load you want. When someone asks me for loads, I'll recommend a best powder and bullet AS I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE FOR MY GUNS. It's then up to the loader to find the right recipe for himself. You can't have someone else zero your rifle for you, and you can't have someone else find the best load for it, either. In that respect, shooting is pure 'do it yourself'.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 PM

it's a good call lloyd. preventing even one accident is reason enough.

Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away. Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites. He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to georgeld

Lloyd:
I'm all for this overseer policy.

I've asked for and given a bunch of loads that I've found were real good for my use and guns.

I also posted a load by mistake that was over max 2gr and wasn't aware of it until I started having
problems. Then checked the jug lable. Sure as **** there it was!! Yikes! No wonder they seemed hotter than normal. aa2200. Although my gun shoots them well, and handles good, extracts easy, etc.

After reading the above posts I shall start rethinking the info I've been and will post from now on.
I thank you all for opening my thick head to the 'possibles'.

George

LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM

I guess in practice I agree with you guys. But on another level, I think we are dumbing down our society with all our rules of protection. Just like the yield to pedestrian signs, I don't expect cars to stop for me. We are raising people who aren't encouraged to think or observe. I personally don't mind people getting ran over by vehicles. It allows me to show my children that they can expect everyone else to look out for them, which will work some of the time, or they can look out for themselves.

I would think that most people coming on these types of forums and asking questions are people who do a little more research than the average joe. I allow people to make mistakes instead of cuddling them. We should give information when asked and allow for people to be individuals, otherwise let's just take all the guns away because we would be safer without them.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Don't have to worry about me. My memory is so bad I can't remember anything I haven't written down anyway and I don't carry a manual with me.

Just another worthless opinion!!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:33 PM

I always cross check every new load in several loading manuals. I do not trust a single loading manual because it is so easy to make a typographical error. If I see an interesting load on the 'net, I definitely cross check the data.

Sometimes there is no official load data available for a combination I need, then I extrapolate from other similar powders and other similar calibers.

I sure hope no one tries a load straight from a forum posting!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Gun Cabinet

Forums are a good place for general info - Like "a 240 grain XTP at 1350 fps is a good 44 mag deer load in a superblackhawk". But you should ALWAYS use an up to date loading manual to find a safe load to reach the stated goal.

That way, the next time a guy tells you about a load he is using to get 1600 fps with a 300 grain SWC in his 45 LC, you can be sure you are not standing next to him at the range......

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page