posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 AM

Default Re: posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
I once found a post, not on this board, where a guy gave a load for a rifle round useing 4895 data by mis- typed and gave 4227 as the powder. For anyone who has any idea about the burn rate chart you could tell at a glance that this load would blow-up any test gun. I posted and the guy must have been watching the board because he came right back with the correction. It was an honest mistake, but it could have gotten someone hurt real bad. For that reason I recomand that that you check any loading data you get from any place other than a known safe source, ie. powder manufacture or good manual. With the improvements in powders even the older manuals have some dangerious loads in them. If your an Ackley fan you should know that mosy of his data was hot in his day and can be real dangerious today.
Whats even worse is that these loads will get into a google search. Its not just the new reloaders here that will see it but anyone who does a search on google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM

I agree, too much can go wrong if you are not very, very careful when reloading not just for handguns but of any firearm. Safety first, last and always.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM

My take on it has always been that posting any load data on an open forum is being just as foolhardy as the person asking for it is being, and both should be banned from forums completely for the safety and probable liability issues alone. The information is readily available from many sources, including on-line, that accept the responsibility for publishing it if someone is not too lazy to find it for themselves.

Just my opinion, but it's the one I'm sticking with.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I do tend to agree that both the person asking for load data on forums and anyone giving out such loads aren't using their head for what GOD intended. All load data should be obtained from reliable pressure tested data and for the firearm in which you plan to use it.

I'd not go so far as to say all such persons should be banned as if we did that it wouldn't be long until no one was left. Still I do not like folks giving specific load data on this site and for sure nothing that they don't provide the source data on. I'd rather just see them referred to the data source.

I sure don't get any of my load data from the internet and especially not from forum sites. I might ask someone what powder or powders they have found to work best in some chamering if it's completely new to me but I'll find the specific loads in one of the dozens of loading manuals I own or I'll buy another one for the data.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks Bill for your input and PM.

I wasn't very clear in what I posted above I guess...

I was not suggesting that folks doing so be banned for doing so (as your forum rules now stand). Rather that the practice of asking for or posting load data on any open forum might be a good idea to ban from GBO entirely by adding to or changing the board rules that they are unacceptable practices on GBO, for the good of all members and visitors.

L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

i really dont see a problem with guys posting as long as they have specific sources listed as to where they got it. No doubt for 99 percent of loading questions a guy should be looking in a manual and following it to the the letter. Thats why i put the stipulation in that they post a specific manual or sorce. Im not the one that would get sued but i still wouldnt want to feel i had anything to do with someone getting hurt if i can provent it. Back when i posted this there were a couple incidence of some bad info given and i felt that rule would make it so i didnt have to baby sit this fourm 24 hours a day. For the most part guys have been good at it. Another reason i did it on here is theres a reloading fourm just for loads and posting them here takes away from that forum. Since i made that rule there hasnt been much trouble with it and i dont think it justifys banning the posting of loads totaly. Its not greaybeards job or mine either to walk you through the world of reloading and protect you from idiots. We do it because we care not because its our duty. Believe me this is one of the most monitered forums on the internet as far as keeping the idots and egotistical ### ##### away.

sixgun addict
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM

I understand the intent of the post but would add that there are loads listed in older manuals that used different testing ( not psi) that have been found to be over max. today with better testing. Hornady also had some data that was incorrect .
Sometimes a fourm like this is the only place such imformation is passed along to some .

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Proper move Lloyd.. I can recall years ago, as a beginning hand loader, when I took for gospel, a load mentioned by a well known big game hunter/author...I found some pretty flat primers coming out of my .44 mag Blackhawk !

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
― Alexandre Dumas-fils
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM

I'm wondering what ever happened to the concept of individual resposibility? In the case here the poster should be sure of the data posted and the user should double check it against tested data in a manual. The user should also work up to the load as is mentioned adamently in every loading manual. I we say anything about loads what is to prevent "the newbie" from just using the max load in any manual anyway, they do it all the time. We now need to "police" them?

This is supposed to be a forum where we can openly discuss things, especially loads in certain places/topics. If we have to talk in generalities then what's the use, might as well just put a big notice up front and say "go look in loading manual as we will not discuss the particulars here." That is going to curtail a lot of technical discussion that many of us enjoy reading, comparing with our own loads and perhaps learning there is something better. Yes there can be overloads but that is also a problem with loading manual data. That's why any user of any data should work up to the load whether it comes from a manual or here. If we think all "data" that is published is safe in our firearms then perhaps we should read the caustion in most all loading manuals. Just because a load is listed as safe in a test rifle/fixture does not mean it is safe in your rifle. That's why they all say to work up to the load.

To censure information here????? Do we really need to keep ourselves from ourselves????? Has there been a problem with any "newbie" using any data mentioned here or are we just percieving a problem based on a pet peeve when there isn't a problem?

Larry Gibson

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Being paralyzed with fear is becoming the rage in this country.
We have to abide by the rules of any forum to remain on it regardless of how silly they are. They all have some silly rules.
I will abide by rules to remain here.
Just like indoor ranges not letting one shoot reloads. What kind of person, unless they have plenty of money, can afford factory ammo as much most good pistol shooters shoot?
Well pretty soon we won't be able to do much of anything except go to work, eat and sleep and even that may cause problems.
We may get sued over that.

You Know Me. I Don't Have a Clue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page