1911 ejection problem - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Default 1911 ejection problem

I have a Kimber that throws empties at my head. After any range session, I go home with a bleeding forehead. How does one adjust the angle of ejection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 AM

Default Re: 1911 ejection problem

By putting on more tension or loosening the tension--Bending.
A new ejector would need to be adjusted also.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem after I had put an extended ejector in my springer. Check the angle of the ejector and then see if the cases are getting all dented up from not being thrown out properly. If the port has not been lowered consider having it done.

Paul
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Mike: I'm willing to bet the face of your ejector is pretty flat. I usually bevel half the face of my ejectors toward the port with maybe a 35 degree angle or so and that allowed the brass to drop more to the right than to my forehead. I would not try and bend the ejector - it is secured to the frame by two posts with the front pinned in for security. If you try and bend one of those you are liable to bust it or one of the posts and you are also liable to hang up your slide.

I would call Kimber and ask them. They may have used a 9mm/38 Super length ejector but whatever they used should be able to be tuned to keep you from being on the receiving end......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Sounds like excessive extractor tension, although there's no way to tell without checking it. If you haven't done it before, there are likely instructions online on the proper tensioning of the extractor. There is another cause for brass hitting the shooter's head, but I'm sure Mike doesn't allow his pistol to rise in recoil excessively.
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM

I think the problem is more lilely the angle on the end of the ejector rather than the extractor. Since it's a Kimber, it probably has an extended ejector rather than a military style ejector. Check the angle of the Ejector and if it is angled up, or straight, you can file it to give it a slight downward angle. Try not to change the overall lenght of the ejector any more than you have to.

If it has a military style ejector (i doubt if it does) then replace it with an extended ejector.

You might also want to go with a stronger recoil spring to reduce the distance the cases fly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Here's some good material on extractor/ejector tuning:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/e...perfection.htm

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."-- Abraham Lincoln
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM

My 90's springer does that at times too. I get hit right in the middle of my forehead. I guess if we get hit right the case mouth could cut us. I found the ejector to have sharp edges and burrs on it so i figure it wasn't functioning properly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM

ive got a alloy commader kimber with the dreaded external extractor that does this too. I wont touch it though as this gun has gone well over 10000 rounds without any missfeed or malfuntion. I have to laugh when i hear people badmouthing the external extractor. Ill like with an occasional piece of brass flying at me to have a gun thats a 100 percent reliable.

sixgun addict
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Dee

Many times all that is require is to strip the slide off the receiver, and a few (5 or 6) passes with a not too agressive file, over the face of the ejector will change the trajectory of spent brass. Emphasis on the lower portion of the ejector face.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page