357 mag vs 45 colt for black bears - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Default 357 mag vs 45 colt for black bears

how does a 45 colt compare with a 357 mag revolver for self defense from black bears and where would you place a shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 PM

Being able to shoot either accurately is more important. I personally go with the biggest handgun I can accurately shot and practice with. Mine is a 4 inch 500 Mag. But for the 357 Mag and 45 L/C, I would go with the 45 L/C and a head shot is the quickest way to dispatch a full on charge. Not an easy task when you adrenalin is rushing through your body.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Hot .45s (the buffalo bore stuff) would be more effective that a .357mag. If you're talking about the Cowboy loads, then the .357mag gets the nod.

The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of a Taurus tracker with factory loads. however from the Taurus reviews on the forum describing lack of quality perhaps I would be luckier playing the slot machines rather than gambling on getting a decent quality Taurus gun
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 PM

Just get a .44mag. You can get light loads comparable to .357's and .45's that still have more stopping power.

"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunpilot
I was thinking of a Taurus tracker with factory loads. however from the Taurus reviews on the forum describing lack of quality perhaps I would be luckier playing the slot machines rather than gambling on getting a decent quality Taurus gun
Taurus revolver aren't bad. Their autoloaders, on the other hand, are a different story. However, their .45 Colt Tracker isn't built to handle the hot stuff. Get a tracker chambered in .454 and you'll be able to shoot the hot .45 Colts out of all day long and the cowboy loads for fun.

The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:23 PM

I have a 357 Mag Ruger Service Six, SA/DA with a four inch barrell and when I carry it in the woods I load it with Buffalo Bore's 180gr 1400fps and 783lbs of energy. Now this is a self defense gun on black bears only and at close range 10 to 15yds at most. I do not feel unarmed or not safe as this is about the same energry produced from a 44mag 240gr round. The Ruger is a lot lighter and can be worn on a holster all day.

fknipfer

Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 PM

FK, not trying to pick a fight but.....
My Ruger produces over 1000fpe with a 240gr round. Most reloading manuals show the lightest plinking loads for the .44mag at very near the same energy your hot Buffalo Bore .357 loads produce.
To really compare apples to apples the Buffalo Bore website shows .44mag loads that generate about 1200fpe and one load that exceeds 1600fpe.
I love 357's too but they are nowhere near the same stopping class of the .44mag.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 PM

V-Man,

I'm not saying the 357 Mag. Buffalo Bore manufactures should be used in a grizzly bear hunt. But for black bear as a sidearm for backup it is adequate.

Federal Ammunition shows their 240gr C44A is 1180 fps with muzzle energy of 740 ft lbs in the 44mag.
Buffalo Bore shows their 180gr 357mag round at 1400fps with muzzle energy of 783 ft lbs.

Remington show the same data almost line for line. I am not talking handloads for the 44mag, I was talking store bought ammunition. I had a S&W 629 and hated to carry it. But the Service six with its 4" Barrel is just fine. If I was going hunting with a 44mag I would use the hottest I could get.

fknipfer

Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 12:21 PM

A 357 would definitely be easier to carry, but I would go with a 44 mag. If you go with a 357 or 45 colt, you will have to buy specialty ammo to even be in the same ballpark as standard 44MAG ammo. The standard factory stuff for either the 357 or the 45colt will be way underpowered for bear protection. The 44 mag has proven itself to be potent BLACK bear medicine with 240 JHP. See JJ Hacks posts on the subject in the archives of this forum. He has killed around 100 black bears with a 44 mag and he advises 240 JHP is the round of choice for the task. 44MAG in 240 JHP is available EVERYWHERE, where as the sepecialty ammo will have to be ordered way in advance, so it is not available on short notice if ammo is lost, forgotten, or takes the wrong plane.

Roll Tide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page