Info on remington single shot rifle???? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Info on remington single shot rifle????

A friend has traded for a remington single shot rifle,it's a .243, the barrel is made twisted ( it looks like the twisted chrome handle bars on a old school chopper ) and the lever that breaks the barrel down extends from the trigger gaurd. ( the saftey is also located on the trigger gaurd ) . I've seen these rifles for sale but never caught the name other than remington, but it does have "made in russia" stamped into the barrel.
What we would like to know is just how good a fire arm is this gun? how accurate, barrel tradable, can the trigger be worked on? Any info would be a help,Thanx.

I've never been lost,,,just rite fearsome confused for a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Info on remington single shot rifle????

Yes this rifle is made in Russia by Baikal. The twisted barrel you mention is not twisted but it is a pattern caused by hammer forging. A cold method of forging the barrel's outside and the inside cold forming the lands and grooves.

Depending on the experience of the forge operator barrels can either be just great and shoot very accurately, or just real bad.

Myself I have no use for anything made in Russia.

From some of the reading I have learned of trouble with the 11mm integral scope rail. There are not many good scope mounts to fit it, most of them shoot loose.

Some time ago I suggested to someone to mill off this rail and mount a straight Weaver or H#R rail by drilling and tapping, for no trouble scope mounting and suitable for many good scope rings.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Ok what you have is a Spartan rifle imported and made for Remington in Russia in the Baikal region, which plant made you rifle will be told by the proof marks. My Baikal (name it was sold under here in the UK) MH18 in .222 Remington was made in the Izhevsk plant. Their mark is an Arrow inside a Shield.

The only real difference between the Spartan and my Baikal is that Remington put Walnut as wood on theirs whilst mine is a pure White Birch wood that required staining after I reshaped the wood as I did not like the style it came with.

The triggers often require a little working on but the action is quite simple really. They can be made smooth with a clean break and they seem to manage this on the Shotguns.

The rifle is a very good strongly made rifle and they often produce quite remarkable accuracy. Iw a sshootign mine with soem factory 50 Grain SP Sako ammunition and both the range owner and myself shot groups of 1/2" for 3 shots. Mine is fitted with a Leupold M8 Compact 4x scope. As yet I have found no problems witht eh small steel dovetail even when I had a larger longer scope on it. Using good rings is the answer. Mine are a set of steel Hilvers but I have used an alloy set as well but prefer the steel Hilvers.

With normal use I doubt you will wear the action out but the barrel will of course eventually burn out the lead especially with a high intensity cartridge like the 243 Win. The barrel is screwed into the breech Lump not much different to a bolt action.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the input ya'll, I told him some one here would know something. The gun looks to be in great shape,nice bluing, pretty nice finish on the stock and fore arm, locks tight, but the trigger is less than great, feels spongy. But I'm chompin at the bits to give it a good try'n out and see what it can do.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Yes the trigger could do with some work cleaning up the pull. The pull on mine was not only long but must have been over 10lbs in weight! Anyway here is what the insides look like:-

This is what it looked like when I got it:-

and now except for the rubber pad which I replaced with teh Reddish platic Baikal butt plate:-

As I said I have swopped the scope for a compact 4x Leupold M8.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Gun Cabinet

I saw 4 of them new at a gun show in Oklahoma last winter all new with the boxes but that twisted looking barrel and made in Russia kind of turned me off but after reading a number of post I wish I had picked one up, you just never know.
Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Well,,, I've traded him out of it, a handi rifle in 243 for the Remington in 243. He already has a handi in 243 and wanted another, I figured that as clean as the remington looks thered be no trouble gettin my money back. Now gotta try it out over the weekend, see what I think. Found a good bit of info on them, most is positive, some aint, we shall see.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 AM

Well I must say you have done better out fo the deal. The Handi has never impressed me although I have never seen one in the flesh. The Contender I simply don't like and I have seen and handled them.

I suppose the Spartan and my Baikal is more like the continental single shots and old British Rook Rifles.

Now I do strongly suggest the strongest scope mounts you can find and please post photos so we can see what you got and how it does.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:54 AM

Kwik-Site makes a .22 adapter base that converts from 3/8" dovetail to accept Weaver style rings. Only $10.99 at Cabelas cat. # XZ-71-1575. That would be the first thing that I would buy! Good luck!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Hmmm more joints equals more chance of errors I just went with good quality steel rings and had no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page