.300 win. mag. vs. .325 wsm. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Default .300 win. mag. vs. .325 wsm.

Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a blr for sometime just don't know what caliber i want yet. I wasn't going to go magnum at first but some people I know thought I should. The two i have really looked at are the .300 win mag and the .325wsm. What one would you choose and why?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Re: .300 win. mag. vs. .325 wsm.

A few more details would be good, in particular whether you plan on handloading or not and what your intentions for it are.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM

A few more details are in order as mountainview said . I have / had BLR's 300win , 358win, 270wsm and i have an A-bolt II in 325wsm I just have to say i love the 325wsm the performance of a 338 win mag without the weight or recoil i hated the recoil of the 300win in the blr it was nasty not enjoyable at all i still have the 358win and if you reload i would recommend that or the 325wsm i don't reload but i never needed more than the Winchester 200grn silver tip for the 358 . I use the factory 220grn power points in my 325wsm . personally i would never have another long action lever gun their just awkward and annoying in the Field . superdown
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Why not a .300 WSM. Use 165's or 180's for lighter stuff. If its time to hit like a .325, just use premium 200 grain loads in the .300. In the field, the difference would be...?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

I don't reload and the intentions are for whitetail, and black bear as of right now. I would like it to pull double duty if i decided to go elk hunting also. Just some friends told me to look at magnums as far as the reason bullet drop and knock down power on bigger game. I was originally planning on a .308 or .30-06 but i would like to see what others think. I have been putting off buying a new rifle for along time now because i would like a good all around riffle that could be used on big game or at least what i consider big game (moose,elk,caribou) and for whitetail and black bear.

I know their is always the option of buying another rifle if needed a larger caliber but i would prefer to already be familiar with the rifle from other field uses.

Seems like some are not a big fan of the .300 win mag? is it because of the kick? or also the long action on a lever action rifle? I have never actually shot one just one of the calibers suggested by a friend.

just looking for info guys and what you think would be the best route
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 AM

Let me wade in here ..............Me and everyone who hunts with me now shoots a 300 win ...I'm 58 but when I was 16 I worked for a gun smith I was the kid that got to go shoot all the different guns ..different calibers ....I (we) decided that there was nothing like the 300.....it doesn't kick like the 7mm until you get to 180 gr and larger .. I've owned 4 different ones and am looking for one for the encore....We also have a 300 weatherby but it cost to much to shoot...I don't like balistic tips 125 gr but they sure did shoot good.....Now over all we shoot 165 gr grand slams ...........I used to shoot 150 noslers partitions but cost have move to 165 GS...

Getting Old Sucks.........
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

For your stated uses the .308 or .30-06 are all that are needed. They have less recoil and ammo costs less. The .300 magnums "might" buy you an additional 50-75 yards of range IF you are up to the task but the .308/.30-06 are all one needs out to beyond the ranges most shooters are capable of making killing shots anyway.

If you feel you just gotta make 400 yard and over shots and are up to the task then yeah a magnum might be a better choice so long as you already know the recoil won't be a problem for you. For many of us it is a problem. I've owned a .300 Win. Mag and after shooting less than two boxes of ammo traded it for a .270 Winchester. I don't expect I'll ever own another for me the .308/.30-06 are plenty. I have both.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

well then guys guess my next big question is how do you think a long action is compared to a short action in lever action rifles? i mean is it alot easier to handle short action lever gun compared to a long action?

This will be the first lever gun i have owned. all others were bolts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Owning three BLR's and handling many more, use the short actions only. While the short action is handy and responsive, sadly the long actions have all of the grace and poise of a 2 x 6 with a grubbing hoe taped the end. Please try both for yourself, but I believe that you will find that the long action is one of those great ideas that just doesn't work out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 PM

If i were to go out and buy a BLR today i would buy the ss takedown in 308 win jmo. superdown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page