which compact deer rifle? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Default which compact deer rifle?

Hi,i am interested in getting a compact deer rifle .I think i want either a 7mm-08 or a 308 and am curious as to what guns seem to be the best as far as accuracy,price ,reliability? Right now I am thinking either Rem model 7 or Ruger compact. Also wonder what kind of velocity loss I would get with the Ruger as opposed to the Rem? What about blast out of the Rugers short barrel . Thanks,Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Re: which compact deer rifle?

I really like my Weatherby Vanguard Compact in .308, heavier than the others probably but well-balanced and very accurate, hinged floorplate, fluted bolt, adjustable trigger and not bad at $400.

Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:06 AM

I have a browning micro hunter in 7 mm-08 that I think cant be beat . Weighs in at 6 lb 4oz that is well balanced between the hands unlike some composite stock guns that are muzzle heavy. I also like the shorter LOP when wearing heavy hunting cloths, it shoulders easier with out snagging. Mine will shoot nosler ballistic tips and accubonds bullets into sub MOA 3 shot groups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 AM

I have the Ruger Compact in 308. It carries a Leupold 3X scope with heavy plex cross hair. Rifle and scope weigh in at 7 lbs 5 oz.

You loose about 25 fps velocity per inch as you go down in barrel lenght from 24".

If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Any rifle chambered in .243 or larger will make a deer rifle. I have or have had rifles built on about every comercial action and a bunch of military actions and they all worked. The first thing you have to do is figure out how much you are willing to put into the gun. I recomand buying used gun buying used guns if you have the time to look around you can find some real deals in them, hit some gun shows. For the best buy you cannot get stuck on any certain round, the deer cannot tell the difference when the bullet hits them. 1 other recomandation is put the best scope your can afford on it. I do not mean the most power as I believe the best all around scope is a 3 x 9 Leupold.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Does the Ruger Compact have a shorter LOP also?
Thanks.
Dan

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 PM

I would like to have a Browning TI for myself, but they are so spendy.

Cheese

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcraig
Hi,i am interested in getting a compact deer rifle .I think i want either a 7mm-08 or a 308 and am curious as to what guns seem to be the best as far as accuracy,price ,reliability? Right now I am thinking either Rem model 7 or Ruger compact. Also wonder what kind of velocity loss I would get with the Ruger as opposed to the Rem? What about blast out of the Rugers short barrel . Thanks,Craig
Hmmmm in answer to some of your concerns I would suggest that if possible you try to shoot a few compacts as you will then know if they suit you. I also think too much is made of the muzzle report for 20" barrels : as you don't hear may complain about a 22" barrel which is common place today. If you handload then changing the choice of powder used can to some degree reduce the muzzle blast. I did this with a 20" barreled .270 winchester chambered rifle I have and I use H-380 powder in it and that almost eliminates the fire ball that the slow burning powders normally associated with the .270 produce.

You said commpact but did mention weight and it seems a lot of posters have assumed you meant a light weight rifle ??? Good luck in your search .
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Ruger Compact in 308. LOp is shorter but it fits well when you have your winter deer hunting clothes on.( i'm 6'2") Got it with a nikon monarch 1.5 x 4 shotgun scope which is perfect for the woods where I hunt. As for comparing it to a remington, once I got used to the three position safety I can't go back to a remington factory safety. It gives a real extra feeling of safety when still hunting with a bullet in the chamber. In fact I was a little fearful of carrying my 700 with a bullet in the chamber which is at least half the reason why I switched, the other half being the smallsize of the compact and the big claw extractor. If you get a model 7 seriously consider getting an aftermarket 3 position safety added on, the cost for me was prohibitive versus getting a new gun(my 700 is a 30-06 and now a stand gun only for me and i will probably sell it.) but the model 7's are very nice guns and can see why you are considering it. Muzzle blast isn;t even an issue. Accuracy was a little spotty till I glass bedded it. I luv it now. take care.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foto
Ruger Compact in 308
Was looking at that model for my daughter in .243 due to the shorter LOP, but the really short barrel has me concerned with how it will effect the .243 downrange. Nice looking gun though.
Dan

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page