Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in 240 Weatherby Magnum - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Default Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in 240 Weatherby Magnum

I was looking around this evening and heard that there chambering the 240 Weatherby Magnum in the Vanguard S2 rifle. This intrigues me as it is available for $500. Anyone out there have one or thinking of getting one? Also those with personal experience with the cartridge I would love to hear your accolades and opinions on the cartridge. Thank you for your time.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in 240 Weatherby Magnum

id consider one just to try the 240wby out. Did you see any for sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyfro
I was looking around this evening and heard that there chambering the 240 Weatherby Magnum in the Vanguard S2 rifle. This intrigues me as it is available for $500. Anyone out there have one or thinking of getting one? Also those with personal experience with the cartridge I would love to hear your accolades and opinions on the cartridge. Thank you for your time.

Dan

sixgun addict
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I checked out Gunbroker and poked around they have the Series 2 rifles out but I did not see any chambered in it but the weatherby site said it was chambered and so I would assume you could order one. I'm sitting here debating about it myself. The new Series 2 rifles come in right around $475-$500 in blued synthetic. The only set back is how **** expensive ammo and components are for anything with the weatherby name on it. As my dads buddy told me your always one gun away from happiness.

Dan
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM

I bought one of the new S2's this summer in 25-06 and it will flat out shoot 5 shot sub-moa groups easy. My nephew and i both did it. The trigger is as smooth as any I've ever squeezed and the gun feels really good in my hands. I just read about the new 2012 line-up also including for the first time ever in the Vanguard line the 240 WM. The price of this gun has already gone up $150 since last summer and the 2 original sub-moa's no longer exist. I'll guarantee you this gun will go up another $150-$200 in the 2012 year. The 240 isn't available yet but I will be one of the first in line for it when it is. Best to ya !
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Well Fred let us have a range report when you get it!

Dan
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 PM

I will sir, haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time !!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Its most certainly gotten my attention....So many wants so little money.

Dan
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Seems to be the story of my life...Mercedes tastes and a Yugo budget....

HWD
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM

It seems Weatherby is about to unleash a Yugo with a Mercedes engine. Actually the Vanguard is more like a Ford than a Yugo, and the engine is more like a Shelby GT than a Mercedes.

I don't think I know exactly how I would use a 240 Magnum but an 87 to 100 grain 6MM bullet running along at 3000-3200 fps seems a winner to me. Especially since its kick is about the same as a 270 Winchester or a 30-06. It might be the ideal antelope rifle.

The only thing that has held the 240 Weatherby magnum back is the lack of available rifles chambered for it. By the way, years and years ago I bought a 6MM Remington rifle which has better ballistics than the 243, but Remington didn't know what it had and Winchester won the marketing war before Remington figured out that hunters were going to use 100 grain bullets in it and that therefore it needed a barrel with a different twist than installed on early model rifles. I still love the idea of high velocity 100 grain bullets.

In the long run, the 243 hasn't done as well as it might have. People on sites like this seem to think of it as a youth caliber, but with the right bullet it can be as lethal as anything on deer sized game. You can set a 243 up to be light and handy. It is much better all around than the 30-30 since it can do all the 30-30 can do in the woods and can reach out to knock down antelope on the plains. The 240 Weatherby Magnum does the same except better. The only problems with the 240 Weatherby Magnum might be barrel wear and factory bullets costing $65 per box of 20. By the way I still think the 6MM Remington is the better solution to either the 243 or the 240 Weatherby Magnum. To bad so few rifles are built in 6MM Remington.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

A lot of merits to your case. The 240 is just so **** spendy to load for. I have heard it kicks less then an 30-06 and is rather pleasant. I know that hearing from a few that have them love them but other than that I have not had my turn at shooting one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page