6.5 Creedmoor ..Why? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Default 6.5 Creedmoor ..Why?

I've noted the new 6.5 Creedmoor and am wondering why this cartridge was needed in light of the .260 Remington, which appears very similar.

Any comments, any explanation welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 PM

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor ..Why?

I never understood that either. Seems that the 260 could be loaded to same velocity with lower pressure, that makes sense to me.
I am guessing that the shorter powder column will burn more completely and evenly than a longer one will, just as the 308 vs. 30-06.
Looks like the more capacity would be better for extended ranges when flight time and fighting the wind at over 600 yds. would
be an asset and we are not talking about much more case length when comparing a 260 to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
JMHO
HM
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 AM

The 6.5 Creedmore is designed to have more of the bearing surface of the bullet exposed from the case neck than the .260 Remington does and still be within the SAAMI Spec O.A.L. dimension of the .308 Winchester.

So, you don't have to seat heavy-for-caliber bullets so they intrude in to the combustion area of the case with the 6.5 Creedmore as with the .260 Remington.

The 6.5 Creedmore chamber specs have more of a leade in to the rifling, too. That plus exposed bearing surface limits bullet yaw prior to engagement with the rifling. That might not make a difference on your hunting rifle. It might matter on your target rifle. Or, it might not. But that's the idea.

Also, I think the 6.5 Creedmore has a higher operating pressure limit than the .260 Remington does.

One way to look at it is that the Creedmore makes more effective use of available common short action magazine length than the .260 does, where heavy-for-caliber bullet use is concerned. You could do the chamber of a .260 Remington with the kind of leade common with the 6.5 Creedmore, and then seat the bullets out to have more of the bearing surface of the bullet extending beyond the case neck, but the result will be too long to feed through magazines based on the .308 Winchester O.A.L. dimension.

BTW, "flight time" of the bullet isn't just a function of starting velocity, but also one of drag in flight, or deceleration. Highpower target shooters tend to use fairly heavy for caliber bullets for this reason -they tend to have higher ballistic coefficents and thus retain a higher percentage of starting velocity over distance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 6.5 Creedmore is probably easily found on Hornady's website, since it is their brainchild, based off their .30 T/C case, IIRC..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the FAQ on the 6.5 Creedmore !
Interesting how cartridges are designed and why.

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV Fluted, 30-30, 25-06 UH, 7-08, 223
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 AM

OK, thanks for that info JP, had not read much about the creedmoor other than it's good tgt. round.
HM
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the responses. This site has amazing people on it who display and encyclopedic knowledge of any subject related to fire arms.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM

One of the things a shooting buddy likes about his 6.5 Creedmore rifle that shoots very well for accuracy is the case design. Taper of case body and angle of shoulder lends to reduce tendency of brass to stretch giving him more reloads from a piece of 6.5 creedmore brass. Also, long neck on the creedmore is beneficial for using longer bullets.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:24 PM

There is also just the name...

Thru history names play a large part in popularity... America in general dosen't like metrics. The 7mm Express flip flopped from 280 and back because of just this.

We have dozens of calibers and cartridges that all but duplicate each others performance and one will flourish when the other barely hangs on yet both are excellent and sometimes the better one dies off...

The 260 seems mired in meritocracy... Bench resters like it, but thats a small market.

Personally I never gave it a second look but have considered the Creedmore more than once.

Some things there is just no figuring...

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 PM

I have three rifles in 6.5x55 (two bolts and an Encore) and have no hankering for a creed or 260 unless I find an AR upper in one of those. Then I could swap out the barrel on my .308 and have a semiauto in my favorite .264 caliber.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:05 AM

one for sure cases for the .260 are a lot cheaper, i have several thousand once fired .308 match cases i bought for .04 a piece and use them to reload .243-.260-7mm08. if you think you will have trouble buying .260 ammo at a gun store,wait till you try to by 6.5 cm. eastbank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page