Remington 700 old vs new - which to buy? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Remington 700 old vs new - which to buy?

I am looking to buy a 700. Is there any advantage to finding one built in the 80's vs buying a new one??

Is there a difference in the quality over the years?

Thanks for the help,

North Nick

"It is the pressure of going against the wind that makes eagles, planes, and kite soar" - Howard E. Hyden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Remington 700 old vs new - which to buy?

When the short mag craze hit, about 5 years ago, I picked up two very good Rem 700 BDLs in 30.06 for a little over $300 each. One had a Weaver V9 and the other a Tasco 3x9. One had some bluing wear on the floor plate and bolt. The other looked new. The gun store was getting overstocked on trade-ins so I got a deal. At this time I think you can find a good used 06 because the caliber is so common. Personally I like the older guns but thats just my preference and I have no scientific data to back it up. I just leave the keys to the j-locks in the box and forget lock is there. If you want a good deal watch for a used one. If you want a purty one, call up the custom shop and you can spend some $.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM

My first Remington 700 many years ago was a 70's model BDL 25-06...Great gun,good trigger,no problems.
More recently, I have a new 700 Classic(2004) 8mmMauser...Great gun, good trigger,no problems.
Even more recently I have acquired 2 700's made in '64 and '67 respectively both wood ADL's...Great guns, good triggers, no problems.
I cant tell any difference except cosmetics.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/vv\/V)
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 PM

I'd kinda watch the magnums. Some of the fellows don't realize just how fast they can heat up and wash out a throat by playing "machinegun kelly". That's from a dyed-in-the-wool Remington man. The same can happen to any magnum rifle.
'course, sometimes you can get a real cherry in a magnum because the fellow doesn't know what he's getting. I bought a 8mm Rem Mag once that came with 17 rounds left in a box of shells.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemanbeme
I'd kinda watch the magnums. Some of the fellows don't realize just how fast they can heat up and wash out a throat by playing "machinegun kelly". That's from a dyed-in-the-wool Remington man. The same can happen to any magnum rifle.
'course, sometimes you can get a real cherry in a magnum because the fellow doesn't know what he's getting. I bought a 8mm Rem Mag once that came with 17 rounds left in a box of shells.
Was he wearing a shoulder brace?

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/vv\/V)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 PM

I have an early Remington 700BDL in 243win. and last years model 700xcr in270wsm. Both guns are accurate and shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds. So in my opinion quality is equal.

Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Val

I have a Remy 700 in 30-06 that's a 1982 made rifle and a Remy 700 Mountain rifle in .280 that I bought last year. They both shoot very well but the quality of the wood stock on the older rifle is much better than last years Mountain rifle.

Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM

I haven't really seen a big decline in quality. One step backwards in my opinion is when Remington moved from Walnut to cheap synthetic stock on the ADL line. I like the CDL stock much better than the old BDL stock. I also preferred the older Mt. Rifle with the hinged floorplate to the later models with detachable magazine. Accuracy and reliability have been excellent with any of my 700s. Remington recently introduced a new trigger on some of their models that is reported to be better out of the box than the old trigger. However, a gunsmith can typically smooth up an old Remington trigger for a reasonable price.

-Lou
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Price and wood stock would be my considerations. If you are buying a '06 or greater caliber probably won't need to worry about an older barrel being shot out. I like the 70's ADL's as the wood is often quite nice on them and not glossy as the BDL's are. You can always put a synthetic stock on an older rifle if weather is a concern.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM

I have 14 700s from old to new I love all but 2. Every one but the last 2 will shoot 1/2 with carefully developed handloads bedding and trigger tuning. I bought 3 last month and two had barrels that were drilled crooked and wouldn't shoot,until I rebarreled them. after taking them apart I hate to say it but I think since they took the bolt lock off, Remington's main caliber is P.O.S. unimproved not only did they have bad barrels but when I called them they said since I had the stock bedded and adjusted the trigger, they wouldn't warranty the barrel even though it was clearly a factory defect I was told by someone in a position to know that Remington's only pays $35.00 apiece for barrels. I was no fan of the bolt lock. but when they took them off they made other changes that screwed them up even more. The new triggers are crap and not as adjustable as before and they made the trigger block just a little smaller so you cant drop in a decent trigger. After dumping an extra 600 a piece they now shoot like previous versions. Until Remington pulls there head out and gets there act together I wont buy another one. I am an ex Remington lover, not a bitter internet poster, but 100% of the newest models I bought were defective and Remington would not stand behind them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page