lee enfield no4 mk1/3 ideas - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Default lee enfield no4 mk1/3 ideas

I recently started working for a gunsmith by the name of butch, he's had a shop in my home town for a little over a year now.
the other day, suffice it to say, the back room got cleaned. during this escapade of sorting brass, finding the screw for the deprimer and a former employee getting to keep his ears from the loss of that screw, I came across a pile of rifle barrels and receivers in a corner.
one that caught my eye was a lee enfield no4 mk1 that looked like it had been pulled from the ground, just a nice even coat of surface rust. a little fiddling later and I've got the bolt pulled out. butch gave it to me the next Monday (I guess he hated the idea of it rotting away in a corner as much as I did)
short story long, the receiver is in great shape after a shot of steel wool, it's got faint markings the say "NO4 MK1/3 (F)FTR 5", a quick google indicates it was upgraded in the '50's (the second digit if the year is gone)
the barrel on the other hand, is hopeless, totally rotted bore.

my question is, what would be a good cartridge to convert it over to? I thought 32 H&R magnum would be good. any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Re: lee enfield no4 mk1/3 ideas

I would stick a .303 barrel on it and be good for squirrels to elephant. best all-round there is IMHO

democrats are in favor of the wholesale slaughter of God's most precious; unborn babies.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 AM

45/70!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

the one thing I do not need is yet another bolt action 'take anything on the north american content' milsurp rifle, I already have a mosin nagant and a Mauser for that.
so no to 303.
as to 45/70, I'm getting a revolver in 32 h&r mag, I would like to have a rifle that would share ammo. a matched set for the bush bag, if you will.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Bet it would almost feel like shooting a 22lr, sounds neat. You may get some ideas that would work looking at how they convert them to 223 since the rim diameters are similar. I've got deer hunting on my mind is why I suggested the 45/70.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

also looking at 357 magnum, I've got a huge selection of ammo and reloading data with that. and I can get a 21 inch barrel for $60
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM

Send it to JES reboring and have it rebored to 375 caliber and set up for the 37 rimmed cartridge. The 37 rimmed is basically the 303 cartridge necked up to 375 caliber with no other changes. Frank
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:11 PM

Watching this one for ideas.
I've got an Enfield that came in the shop with a rotted bore, and scored cheap. Had numerous ideas of what to do with it. Have a siamese mauser was going to make a 45-70 with, but apparently bolts recently dried up. So, could do that. Thought of something in a takedown rifle. Thought of an integrally suppressed 300 blackout. I've got a tde model 180 automag, thought of doing a 44amp rifle, using the same mags ( have 5).

So many ideas, so few guns...............

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM

Would it be possible to convert it to a .444 Marlin? I believe that that is a rimmed cartridge. Then you could shoot regular factory loads, or download it to .44 mag power.

If not, then how about the good old .35 Remington? It is not rimmed though.

But maybe, the best would be a .375 Winchester? It is rimmed, and I believe you can shoot the regular .38-55 cartridges through it as well. You would have to handload, of course, so if you aren't a handloader, then you would have to scratch that one off the list.

Don't forget the good old .30-30. A pleasant and accurate round to shoot, and deadly out to 200 yards.

Mannyrock

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM

The .303 and the .30/40 Krag shared the same rim, basically. This was also used for the .405 WCF. (And a forgotten .35 WCF.) ERGO the options are endless. Ackley in US and Epps in Canada took the .303/Krag case up and down. Yes, the .45/70 has been done but when you could go with a .25 Krag Imp and have the hot ".25", why? Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, has a series where he uses the .444 brass to duplicate the .308 family with a rim for the T/C. .444 shell holder and .243 dies.. like that. LUCK. Happy trails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page