stevens favorite in 22 hornet! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Default stevens favorite in 22 hornet!

thinking of buying one of the remakes of the stevens favorite and converting to 22 hornet. i think i can duplicate the breach block out of plate with the firing pin hole on the bore center and then just rechamber the factory barrel while it is on the rifle so as to cut the extractor at the same time. the 1:16" twist may not be ideal but i think it should work with 45gr. bullets. anyone tried this or have any thoughts on the matter? should case hardened mild steel be durable enough for the breachblock? thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: stevens favorite in 22 hornet!

Bad Idea. The bore dimensions are different for rimfire and centerfire .22's and I would be concerned about pressure differences. Bottom line is that I would refuse to do such a conversion for a customer. Were I to do one, I would be begging for a lawsuit.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply wlmccann! if i cannot use the original barrel thats fine i can rebarrel. what had me thinking was i believe the very first hornet was made from a converted l.r. and .223 dia bullets are available for the older rifles as opposed to the newer .224 bore. do you know the actual measurement of the l.r. bore, i cannot find it mentioed in any of my references. thanks.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 PM

.22 rimfire barrels can be as tight as .219 groove. Lilja shows their"tight" barrel as .220 with standard being .2215. That however, is only part of the problem. Rebarreling will not make any difference. The Favorite action is not up to the .22 hornet. I think you are correct in that the original was a converted rimfire. I am pretty sure that a 1922 Springfield barrel was used. But it was on either a 1922 or "03 action, either of which is much stronger than the Favorite action. I am not trying to slam you with this post. I am trying to keep you from blowing yourself up. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY THIS CONVERSION. I have made most of my living for over 25 years as a gunsmith. It is my carefully considered opinion that such a conversion would be dangerous.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

wlmccann thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:38 AM

wlmccann is absolutely right. The Favorite action not strong enough for the Hornet..

gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 AM

Sounds like a good way to end up with Stevens parts implanted into your head. Use a 44 1/2 action instead, no other Stevens actions are strong enough. Hornet may be small but it runs some serious pressures.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 AM

How would the Favorite action stand up to either the 17HMR or the 17 Mach II ??

I also have an action that I would like to do something special with.

I was thinking of sleeving a bbl with bad rifling and reaming it to mach II or HMR

or maybe having a 17 bbl fit to the action (would prefer octagon)

Thanks
Mike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 AM

The modern versions made with modern steels stand up to those pressures but the original guns are quite cheaply made and I once again advise caution. There are too many ways to get a HMR/HM2 to risk the damage to your face or a grandkids later on.,.

gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 AM

Thank you , That is exactly what I needed to hear. I will keep it a 22 LR and be happy.

anyone know where there is a favorite barrel with a good bore or a straight one with a bad bore??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page