Graybeard Outdoors banner

Aging Brass

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  S.B. 
#1 ·
How do I go about aging the brass on my rifle? I want it to look like the sample in the pic.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, if it has been coated with something, that has to come off. The most reliable method is using copper sulphate. Root killer. The kind you get at the hardware store. The problem on a rifle part is. it will stain every thing else.
Clean the part with denatured alcohol to get rid of oil. Warm the part slightly. Use the solution like rifle bluing, and rub it on repeatedly until you get the effect you want. Another method I have used is a cotton cloth, dipped in burned black powder residue and water. With either method, use gloves and eye protection.

Here is a pic of a katana tsuba (guard) that I did with copper suphate.

#3 ·
Black powder fouling from a bore swabbing cleaning patch 'ages' it quickly, you have to wipe it on 'smoothly' and keep track of what it is doing so you dont end up with splotchy spots.
I would clean the brass to be sure there is no stuff covering it and shy a patch from cleaning the bore maybe burn some black powder safely outside on a 'coffee can' lid, take a damp hunk of cloth and rub it up in the fouling residue and smear it on. If you dont like what it has done some Brasso will spiff up the brass again.
Some 'cold bluing solution' will also darken brass but I dont like the look as well as the 'natural' as above.

#6 ·
Yes in the plumbing section. Copper sulfate is the main ingredient. Get the liquid , it's easier to use. Use a glass bowl or plastic cutoff bottle and soak it. Overnight won't hurt it. If it doesn't take, use 0000 steel wool or buff it to freshen the surface. Let me know if you hit any snags, it should be easy.

email: ;)
jgleason_818@yahoo.com

#8 ·
Not that difficult. Clean the brass with a light abrasive. Although this will shine the brass, it is clean and ready for "aging." Use a the first damp and filthy patch you used on a dirty bore. Apply that to the brass. Done deal. That is the fast way. The other way is no simply leave it alone; do not clean or polish it. Me, I always shined the brass to keep it bright. However, iron mounted rifles have a lure unto themselves. If you don't oil the iron or steel, it will slowly rust and looks quite nice. Brown those parts for a more lasting authenticity.

#9 ·
The question also is, why? Are you wanting to make the rifle look like Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett used it and it's been in various hands up to now? I'm pretty sure that, when those gentlemen and their cohorts bought a gun it looked like new! Just like if you buy a brand new rifle today, use and take care of it, in a hundred years it will also look "aged".... even though now it looks like new!

I've read about people dragging their brand new muzzleloaders up and down their driveways behind their trucks, just so they look old. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me!

My $.02 and about all it's worth!
~WH~

#10 ·
Mine are not aged that well yet. But my colts and Kentucky get better each time out . The burnt powder does part and after cleaning I give her a good rub down with my bare hands before oiling. The oils and salts that we always try to avoid help slowly turn the brass.

With the Kentucky pistol I built I started shooting it as soon as I had the parts properly set in the wood. The wood and brass were getting black long before I even began sanding and shaping. Shoot and sand. It gave the wood some stains that look good.

#14 ·
You didn't list the make of your rifle but, give it time and it should do this all by it's self.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.