Thompson/Center Hawken Peep Sight - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Thompson/Center Hawken Peep Sight

For those of you who have tried the T/C tang peep sight on a T/C Hawken, did you mount the sight between the two screws on the tang or did you use one of the existing screw holes on the tang as a connection point?
What type of accuracy to you get with such a set up; better than the regular factory sights or worse than the regular factory sights?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 04:25 AM

The accuracy depends on your prefrences. It tends to be better than regular iron sights. I remember using one of the existing screw holes. The top one I believe.

C F

IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 07:54 AM

Default t/c peep

I finf the best place for the peep is about 1/2" back from the front tang screw.,so 2 new holes will have to be drilled and tap.
I found that if you use the rear screw and drill one hole for the front of the sight ,you have to dig your check into the stock to pickup the peep sight set up.
I find shooting a peep make a world of difference compared to open sights
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Thompson/ Center Hawken peepsight

Miked,
I have a 54cal Renegade with a 30" round ball barrel. This spring I had the TC tang mounted aperture sight installed by a local gunsmith. I used the back screw and had the smith drill and tap a hole for the front. In addititon I put a Lyman A-17 front sight on too. The A-17 has 6 interchangeable front sights as well. I find my groups are much tighter now and it is easier to aquire my target. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I find an aperture sight to be just the ticket for these tired eyes.
Also, I find the comb on my Renegade to be a bit high and with the tang sight and A-17 I get a good comfortable fit now.
Good luck, Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 PM

Location: North Carolina by way of Indiana, Ark, Louisiana & Oklahoma

I mounted my TC peep front and rear on my 36 Seneca. Like Swamp Yankee, my eyes are not what they used to be. I am currently using the "post" type insert and shoot thumbnail size groups on a calm day at 50 yrds off crosssticks. Hope to take this puppy squirrel hunting this year. Since the rear sight did not line up correctly on the tang, I used the back tang screw and then mounted a round brass threaded insert in the stock...works great.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 09:51 PM

Can this sight be mounted on a Cabelas Hawken? It looks like it would fit if you D&T two holes in the tang.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:51 AM

Default peep sights

should fit with no problems ,here a picture on my set up
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Thompson/ Center Hawken Peep Sight

Well I guess I gave out some bad info. After seeing Lone Wolfs peep sight on his flinter I realised that you were talking about hunting style peepsights not Vernier tang sights. My mistake, I have an old out of production TC vernier tang sight #7190. that I had installed which used the back tang screw. Its a much different animal.
Sorry about the bad info, Jim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:16 PM

Default TC vernier tang sight #7190

Correct the TC vernier tang sight #7190 does use the back screw and the older tang's did have a predilled front screw
The hunter peep will not go that way otherwise you will have to dig you check into the stock ,the sight sits to low. :-D
What I hace inmind is to open up the peep a little seem hunting at early morning or at dusk the sight picture is hard to see threw even with the fiber optic front sight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page