CVA BOBCAT .50 CAL. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Default CVA BOBCAT .50 CAL.

Ok I know that it is a CHEAP little rifle but have any of you bought one or shot one?

I just bought one from Wally world for 59.00 for the parts ( I am going to make a full stock for it and brown it then give it to my soon to be 5 year old.

I don't see them on CVA's web site...Are they not making them anymore? If not I might go back and buy the other one that is there.

Let me know what you know about this Bobcat

Thanks

HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Re: CVA BOBCAT .50 CAL.

no two bears CVA no longer makes any side lock weapon . there are parts still available* though through different venders .

* while the bobcat* was meant as a cheep entry rifle . IMO they are* very good . well i should clarify* that and say* *sure they have their problems most are very good accurate shooters .

i have done a number of stock conversions and even 2 or 3* conversions to flintlock on these rifles .
* wood stock use to be available and* i even found a traditions deer hunter that the CVA parts fit well into .

now days however i just order a good curly maple or cherry stock . if you accepted seconds these can be had for 50 bucks or less ,shaped* *with the barrel channel and RR already inlet .
these are most times full size custom stocks* that have worm holes , mineral stains* or feather cracks in the but plate area . any of which are easy to fix .

Here is a bobcat* that I* re stocked for a costumer this* spring . I used the bobcat trigger, barrel , tang , RR thimble and lock . I replace the nasty plastic stock and added* a brass butt plate , trigger guard and nose cap . the fellas over on the TMA forum re named it " kat la plum" i probably screwed up the spelling on that* so for you french speaking ,, sorry .
if i recall correctly it refures to the bobcats meaner cusian the linx cat

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

That is very nice !
Can you PM me and we can discuss what you would need to do a full stock conversion if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchee
no two bears CVA no longer makes any side lock weapon . there are parts still available* though through different venders .

* while the bobcat* was meant as a cheep entry rifle . IMO they are* very good . well i should clarify* that and say* *sure they have their problems most are very good accurate shooters .

i have done a number of stock conversions and even 2 or 3* conversions to flintlock on these rifles .
* wood stock use to be available and* i even found a traditions deer hunter that the CVA parts fit well into .

now days however i just order a good curly maple or cherry stock . if you accepted seconds these can be had for 50 bucks or less ,shaped* *with the barrel channel and RR already inlet .
these are most times full size custom stocks* that have worm holes , mineral stains* or feather cracks in the but plate area . any of which are easy to fix .

Here is a bobcat* that I* re stocked for a costumer this* spring . I used the bobcat trigger, barrel , tang , RR thimble and lock . I replace the nasty plastic stock and added* a brass butt plate , trigger guard and nose cap . the fellas over on the TMA forum re named it " kat la plum" i probably screwed up the spelling on that* so for you french speaking ,, sorry .
if i recall correctly it refures to the bobcats meaner cusian the linx cat

HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
kb

Sweet. Very nice. Where do you order your seconds???

kb

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 PM

Most all companies that build stocks will sell you seconds even though they donít list them . I find their quality of those seconds depends a lot on how they grade their stock .
Myself I like to deal with dic at pecatonica river even though I have purchased from tiger hunt and a couple others .
Dick is very picky about his upper grade stocks . The prices are very reasonable even for the #1 stocks wich he grades fro 1P- 5P

He lists his 3P maples with 70 to 80 % curl from 100 to 140.
4 P at 90 to 100% curl at 145-225
He also lists a 5P can you imagine what a 5 P would look like if 4 P has 90 to 100% curl ? ;D
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 AM

Captchee...

Beautiful stocks !

Is that color Bombay Mahogany ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zermatt7
Captchee...

Beautiful stocks !

Is that color Bombay Mahogany ?
Thank you for your kind words

Actually its cordovan , red and just a hint of coca brown .
The stock was shaped with scrapers , . I then soot the stock with and old candle , all over .
I follow this up with burnishing with hemp . This takes off most all the soot but leaves the striping much darker then the harder wood around it . Really make the grain pop out .

For this one I used leather dye. If I recall this was true dye from Tandy leather . If used correctly and from the same line it can be mixed to achieve the color one wants. It also goes much deeper into the wood then a wood stain does so it gives a lot of depth .. Also if you use an alcohol based stain it doesnít raise the grain back up .

The stock was then dyed and let set over night to dry .
I then come back and Bone the complete stock . This is really nothing more then polishing the stock with another object that harder then the wood .
When finished the stock will be just as shinny as you see in the photos .
HOWEVER. If you do not seal the wood , any moisture will cause the boning to go away as the wood swells .
The rifle above has 7 coats of hand rubbed tongue oil applied after the boning process is complete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page