.303 Brit SMLE and Rimlock? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Default .303 Brit SMLE and Rimlock?

Hi All,
How does the Enfield action deal with the possibility of rim lock?

Mosins have an interrupter that is supposed to handle it, and I understand some Finnish magazines are built to prevent it (?).

So what's the deal with Enfields?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Load the stripper clips like this Works fine in the Enfields I've owned or shot.
Attached Images

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleman View Post
Load the stripper clips like this Works fine in the Enfields I've owned or shot.
Sure, but look at that diagram... those rims would have to lock without something preventing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 AM

The only time I had issues was before someone showed me how to load the stripper clips. I tried loading them staggered like you'd do with a 22lr, but that was a PITA to look to see which way to insert the clip. If you inserted it wrong and pushed all the cartridges into the mag My #4 would indeed get rim lock. Luckily some old timer showed me the correct way back in the 80's and since it worked I didn't question it. My best guess is since the Mosin-Nagant rifles have a single stack mag there is less room to clear a locked rim than in the double stack of the Enfield. If the cartridges are arranged in the stripper clips as in the photo they will make two rows one forward and one back as they are pushed into the mag. That way a locked rim would only be restricted by the cartridge under it, and not also all other cartridges that may or may not also be rim locked in series if that makes sense. Just a guess though, if you find out the correct answer let us know.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleman View Post
The only time I had issues was before someone showed me how to load the stripper clips. I tried loading them staggered like you'd do with a 22lr, but that was a PITA to look to see which way to insert the clip. If you inserted it wrong and pushed all the cartridges into the mag My #4 would indeed get rim lock. Luckily some old timer showed me the correct way back in the 80's and since it worked I didn't question it. My best guess is since the Mosin-Nagant rifles have a single stack mag there is less room to clear a locked rim than in the double stack of the Enfield. If the cartridges are arranged in the stripper clips as in the photo they will make two rows one forward and one back as they are pushed into the mag. That way a locked rim would only be restricted by the cartridge under it, and not also all other cartridges that may or may not also be rim locked in series if that makes sense. Just a guess though, if you find out the correct answer let us know.
That's interesting. I ever get the chance, I'll have to put two strippers worht in an Enfield and drop the magazine and see what's going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page