One More Try to Find the Love - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Default One More Try to Find the Love

I have owned two ARs. One was a DPMS and one I built myself. I never had any problems with either. I just could not warm up to the black plastic quad rail tactical styling. I just never formed that "bond". Both were sold off after a very short time. :'(

But I recognize the AR 15 platform is solid and dependable firearm and I really do want one. :

I am giving it another go. This time I am going with a more organic approach with an A2 style wood stock, pistol grip and forearm. In addition it will be chambered in 358 mgp. I just ordered the barrel and dies for that round. It is a legal round for all deer hunting in my neck of the woods. Hope this makes it a bit more loveable. ;D

Cartridges for My Entertainment: .223 Rem, 30-06, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, 358 MGP, 35 Whelen, and soon the 358 Norma Mag. I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Re: One More Try to Find the Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8uck5nort
I have owned two ARs. One was a DPMS and one I built myself. I never had any problems with either. I just could not warm up to the black plastic quad rail tactical styling. I just never formed that "bond". Both were sold off after a very short time. :'(

But I recognize the AR 15 platform is solid and dependable firearm and I really do want one. :

I am giving it another go. This time I am going with a more organic approach with an A2 style wood stock, pistol grip and forearm. In addition it will be chambered in 358 mgp. I just ordered the barrel and dies for that round. It is a legal round for all deer hunting in my neck of the woods. Hope this makes it a bit more loveable. ;D

I like the sound of that! I had never heard of the 358 mgp so I looked it up, sounds like a great wildcat. 35 Remington performance in an AR is very cool. Plus I'm a lefty like the guy who created it so having the lefty 6.8 option from Stag is cool too. Good luck with it!

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Re: One More Try to Find the Love

To be totally honest, I don't love AR's either. At least not in the way you describe it. There's nothing romantic or nostalgic about them. They're just plain black plastic, aluminum, and steel. That hasn't stopped me from buying one and keeping it ready to go, just in case. I agree - there's nothing more appealing to the eye than a beautiful bluing job accented by a good old-fashioned walnut stock. AR's do, however, have a few redeeming qualities that have earned them a permanent home in my collection.

Good luck! I hope you're able to find those redeeming qualities this time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Well I am working hard on this relationship. I ordered a pure AR aka unfinished wood stock set and just got it done and fitted. I have collected all the parts for assembly and will put together for function testing in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0182.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	158162  

Name:	KIMG0185.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	158170  

Last edited by 8uck5nort; 03-10-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Add pics
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:33 PM

That is bad a$$.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room. Lifetime member of shootin stuff.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:30 PM

That's the best looking "black" rifle I've seen yet! Great Job!!!!!

What do you mean plan B didn't work and you need duct tape and safety wire?????????
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

She 's alive! Put everything together Saturday. Loaded up some 200 gr SP and h110 to do some function testing and fire form brass. Threw on scope went out on our first date. Little rocky at first. She would fire the round and eject but not feed the next round in. I knew the gas block position probably had to be the issue. I had to ream up the end cap hole from .750" to .875". to fit the barrel. So I dressed the edges where reamed getting rid of any hanging metal. I also torqued the barrel on at exactly 30ft lbs and the gas tube went in on the first try. However, it did rub on the side of the receiver inlet. I put the barrel nut wrench and gave it just a tad more torque and then reseated the gas turned/block assembly. No perceptible contact this time. So I reassembled, but did not put on the wood hand guard. Went back out and this time she went through 5 rounds without missing a beat. Before I put the hand guard back on I noticed that it was contacting the gas tube on one side. A little more Dremel work with narrow drum sander and it too was clear of any contact. Now fully dressed and ready I took her out again. 20 rounds and no failures. I think I am feeling it. Recoil was not much. The bass formed nicely. Next step is to decide if I stay with standard feed ramps or modify them to use pistol bullets. I am leaning towards modify, but will want to talk with Mike at MGP to get some more info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0187.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	158538  

Name:	KIMG0190.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	158546  

Cartridges for My Entertainment: .223 Rem, 30-06, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, 358 MGP, 35 Whelen, and soon the 358 Norma Mag. I can't right now I am going hunting!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I made up my mind. I am going to modify the A4 feed ramps today to more of a 7.62x39 style to allow a wider selection of bullets. I will take some before and after pics to show my work good, bad or ugly. Anyone have any last minute advice on how to reshape feed ramps?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Default Success

Ok. Done. I plugged the chamber with a foam earplug and taped off my work area. Only goofed once cause I failed to tape up the inside top of the upper receiver. Dremel skipped and took off some of the finish . Taped it up right afterwards and kept chugging. I used a combination of dremel grinding stone shapes and a steel rod with 500 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around it to shape and polish. I then loaded two dummy rounds each with the following bullets: 200 gr RN, 200 gr SP, 180 gr XTP, 158 gr XTP, and 220 gr cast HP bullets. All of them fed fine by allowing the BCG to slam home and stripping the dummy cartridges from the magazine. All ejected fine and none were mis-shaped upon inspection. The cast bullets required light mortaring to extract. Not sure why. Next up is to finish fire forming my first batch of brass and testing the various bullet shapes for reliable feeding and tweaking the feed ramps if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0200.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	159546  

Name:	KIMG0204.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	159554  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:08 AM

I was not sure about wood on an AR. But that is sexy! Nice job on the ramps too.

Lonny

INDIANA GUYS, WE HAVE OUR OWN FORUM Here>>http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,249.0.html
GBO SERVER DONATION INFO
: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,12050.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page