First time cast bullet shooter - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Default First time cast bullet shooter

Hey guys,
Really wanting to hunt with my H&R 45-70 this year. Years ago I bought some cast bullets. .459 325 grain FN. BHN 12.5 gas checked. Loaded some up with 4198. I got good accuracy at 1920 fps. So my question is should I slow them down a bit,& what kinda performance can I expect on deer. Will it expand or punch thru. Also have some 425s I wanna try. But I'm thinking the 325s are plenty. I'm looking for performance at 50 - 150 yards. Oh I need to say "dang these are big bullets"

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM

I think those might be a little hot. At those speeds, meat damage and recoil might be a problem. 1600-1800fps are better for hunting. 4198 is a good powder for that case. If you get a chance H322 is good also. How is your recoil? With the 350gr, you can go through and through broadside on bison. I have a 458 bolt gun that I duplicate 45/70, and I love it. I have used 460gr flat point lead that were great in 45/70, but really, all I got was extra recoil. Good luck, and good shooting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	147002  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Recoil is stout, I thought it was the steel but plate. I'm gonna load some up , slowed down a bit.

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 AM

I learned the flat of the bullet and the caliber sized hole the cutting shoulder made did all the work. (Elmer Keith) No need for expansion! The first bunch of (458) 460gr I loaded were too hot. I recruited a buddy to shoot them up. We joked after a few days, our shoulders were better, but our heads were still crooked...but boy, that steel gong flew around like a paper plate!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 AM

actually for hunting like was said you don't need that speed. Yes it will flatten trajectorys some but basically the 4570 is a 100-150 hunting tool anyway so trajectory isn't that critical. If anything at the speeds your running your going to loose penetration over the same bullet going 1500 fps. What happens is the bullet deforms and doesn't penetrate straight anymore. Now that said your load is going to kill ANY whitetail on earth! I'm talking penetration in bigger animals like moose bison ect and in the case of those animals your still better off with a 400 grain bullet at 1500 fps. 12 bhn is going to be iffy for expansion and if the bullet has a good meplat you don't need expansion and like I said in really big animals it can hurt more then it helps. The original factory 4570 loads had a 405 going about 1250-1350 and believe me that load will do a heck of a lot of killing. Your talking power levels of a 475 linebaugh handgun and they have been used to kill everything that walks in this world as has the 4570. When I want to step up in power with my 4570s I load a 505 wfngc to 1600fps. This will give the recoil junkys all they want to boot and will penetrate ANYTHING end to end leaving a big wound channel. I'm not a real fan of the lighter (under 375 grain) bullets. I much prefer a heavier bullet a bit slower. The 405s is the bullet weight that the 4570 was designed around and its still hard to beat today.

sixgun addict
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Lloyd is suggesting another instance of large for caliber bullet at slow for caliber speed that does all the damage necessary for a humane kill. The GBO pages are full of these instances.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 AM

I like 2400 behind a 500g lee cast from old phone cable coating. Loaded to around 1250 fps (if I remember right), it will pass straight through an elk. They will walk about 5 steps and fold up. Recoil is not bad and it is quite accurate to 200 yards if I do my part. I have had really good luck with 2400 in the 45/70 and it is really economical, somewhere around 250-300 shots per pound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page