Rat shot loads? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Default Rat shot loads?

I've got this itch I'm wanting to scratch. A home built shot load. Being as how I'm a contrarian I want it in .32 caliber.

I've got a choice of 32 S&W, 32H&R, and 327 Fed brass I can use. I have Unique available.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? By the way, .41 is also available but the .32 is preferred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Looking for some 38/357 shotshell capsules.....

The redirect in this link seems engaging. Pretty simple really. How much powder to shot is the key I think. I don't have any data on that. If you find some, please advise...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM

You want a very small shot shell fired in a rifled barrel. Understand that even at its best you won't get much range but 8-10 feet is possible. I do it with .303 Brit cases modified to fit a .44 Magnum chamber because standard cases are too short to hold much powder and shot. Mine are deadly on snake heads at 6 - 8 feet.

1. Fine shot works best, #9 or smaller, as much as you can get on top of a few grains of Bullseye or Red Dot. I use 3 gr of Red Dot but for your slmaller cases I'd start with maybe 1 1/2 - 2 gr. Bullseye. It's virtually impossible to load enough powder and shot to make it dangerous to shoot but excessively hot charges will blow through the powder wad and do sad things to your pattern.

2. An "over powder" wad of toilet paper packed in tightly with a dowel rod end, use just enough paper to make it maybe 1/8 " thick, works about as well as anything fancier. After it's packed down, drip 4-6 drops of candle wax on the paper wad to weld it more or less together much like an old time fiber shotgun wad.

3. Run your charged cases into a seater die and "crimp" roll the mouth just a tad to give your shot cluster something to grab hold of.

4. Add as much fine birdshot as you can get in and still be flush with the case mouth. (stacked up, over filled shot "round offs" are too fragile for much handling.) Drip another 5-6 drops of melted candle wax over the top exposed pellets to seal them into a more or less solid blob. The pellets easily upset and separate when fired but mine don't pull out when (modest) regular cartridges are fired.

I have a tentative plan to extend the length of my shot column by placing a rolled paper sleeve inside. I'll make it long enough to completely fill the cylinder and use the same melted wax treatment to hold everything together before firing.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncchester View Post
You want a very small shot shell fired in a rifled barrel. Understand that even at its best you won't get much range but 8-10 feet is possible. I do it with .303 Brit cases modified to fit a .44 Magnum chamber because standard cases are too short to hold much powder and shot. Mine are deadly on snake heads at 6 - 8 feet.

1. Fine shot works best, #9 or smaller, as much as you can get on top of a few grains of Bullseye or Red Dot. I use 3 gr of Red Dot but for your slmaller cases I'd start with maybe 1 1/2 - 2 gr. Bullseye. It's virtually impossible to load enough powder and shot to make it dangerous to shoot but excessively hot charges will blow through the powder wad and do sad things to your pattern.

2. An "over powder" wad of toilet paper packed in tightly with a dowel rod end, use just enough paper to make it maybe 1/8 " thick, works about as well as anything fancier. After it's packed down, drip 4-6 drops of candle wax on the paper wad to weld it more or less together much like an old time fiber shotgun wad.

3. Run your charged cases into a seater die and "crimp" roll the mouth just a tad to give your shot cluster something to grab hold of.

4. Add as much fine birdshot as you can get in and still be flush with the case mouth. (stacked up, over filled shot "round offs" are too fragile for much handling.) Drip another 5-6 drops of melted candle wax over the top exposed pellets to seal them into a more or less solid blob. The pellets easily upset and separate when fired but mine don't pull out when (modest) regular cartridges are fired.

I have a tentative plan to extend the length of my shot column by placing a rolled paper sleeve inside. I'll make it long enough to completely fill the cylinder and use the same melted wax treatment to hold everything together before firing.

Thanks a ton. The fed case is what got me thinking it might be possible. S&W loading in a much longer case.

I'm planning a trip out west, the snake at spitting distance is what this is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 AM

Seems like I have seen comments that folks might use a couple proper size gas checks between powder and shot and over shot - but have never tried it and those gas checks would be significant projectiles themselves - could be hazardous in the wrong place.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 AM

I handed loaded some .410 shells by using an overshot card made out of cardboard. Bought a hollow punch kit from Harbor freight, found one about the size of the .410 hull opening and cut out the cardboard (from some packaging material such as what the punches came in). I put it over the shot and glued in place with elmers school glue. I could see that working just as well for other cases. May even use the same cardboard for an over powder card also. I believe a 5/16 punch might be about perfect for a 32. I used the drill type hollow punch and put in drill press, makes punching out cards easy.

Rosewood
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

Rosewood, how does a drill type punch differ? I got the kind you hammer from Harbor Freight, but don't remember seeing any other kind.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov

i had the itch to build a ''rat gun''
currently using a ''SMOOTH BORE'' 22lr

what i wanted was a 357 handi......remove all the rifling
posibly attempt a backbore/choke

tried to get a cheap beater barrel from some one but failed

but 36 cal or 41 cal...not that much different
i already have several 410s and a bag of 410 wads

now just need to find the motivation
NOISE is a consideration....i shoot them at night
and i get pretty close......10 to 40 feet max
thinking larger shot to make up for reduced powder/noise

but my point.....410 is the path of least resistance
we don't have to fill up that big hull
[speaking about the 41 as if it were a ''big hull''....overkill]

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
Rosewood, how does a drill type punch differ? I got the kind you hammer from Harbor Freight, but don't remember seeing any other kind.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-67030.html
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Speer still makes shot capsules in .38, .44 and .45 caliber, come in box of 50 each and include the base wad which also closes the capsule. Speer's reloading manual includes load data for these capsules. Ballistic Products will sell you a small bag(1lb., I think) of # 12 shot and it is the deadliest thing I've ever found on close range small vermin. I've never killed a snake with anything that the dead snake didn't squirm for quite some time...EXCEPT #12 shot. A head shot at 10-15 feet simply turns off his whole system...doesn't move...DRT!!!
Walt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page