30 cal 165+/- gr mono metal bullets in 300 win mag - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Default 30 cal 165+/- gr mono metal bullets in 300 win mag

I want to develop a load for my 300 Wiin Mag using mono metal bullets like Barnes TX or TTX , Hornady's GMX for hunting caribou. I shot 2 last week with conventional bullets at about 150 yds and made a mess with poor placement - was spitting out lead pieces when I cooked up one chunk of meat. I want high speed because sometimes we only get 300 + yard shots, and yet all of a sudden animals may appear at 150 or less. For years I've been pursuing moose with 180 gr and more often 200 gr partition bullets that don't shoot quite as flat.

I'm thinking the Barnes, Hornady, or Nosler solid alloy bullets might be the way to go.

What are the benefits or problems of one brand or other? Tipped or not?

Is there really that much difference between 165 and 168 gr bullets? I find it interesting that both are offered.

I have to admit I find the Barnes and Hornady with their relief grooves more appealing than the Nosler but I'm open to recommendations and advice.
I experimented with the OLD X bullets, even blue coated ones but its been 10 15 yrs since.

thanks

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Nosler 150 grain E-Tip out of a 280
At short range recovered out of a Blacktail buck.
It held together well at 280 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the photo Alderman! Impressive and what I'm looking for. Was it hard to come up with a load?

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 AM

ive tried them in many guns. Seems to me either a gun loves then and shoots them better then any other bullet or it wont shoot them for crap. Ive killed deer with the nosler and barnes. Not much difference between them on whitetail. My personal findings show that the ones I shot with 7mags, 300 mags and they didn't show me any less meat damage if the deer was under 200 yards. Out at 3-400 they did do a bit less damage. Bottom line is I don't care what bullet you use if you shoot a shoulder its going to ruin that shoulder and the off side shoulder too. A much better cure for what you ran into is to shoot them behind the shoulder and if that's not the shot presented to you be paitent and wait. Ive shot deer with a 300 ultra mag using 150 ballistic tips behind the shoulder and ruined nothing but ribs. Put that load into a front shoulder and its going to be like a bomb going off. Anyone I don't even fool with high dollar bullets. I buy plain old cup and core bullets and maybe a few boxes of partitions for really big stuff. Nothing kills quicker then a cup and core bullet like a ballistic tip, sierra pro hunter, hornady interlock ect. Plus I HATE TRACKING DEER. If your talking small bore stuff 25 cal and under id stay away from them. My buddy and I both used 2506s and 257 wbys one year loaded only with 100 grain x bullets. We did more tracking that year then all the other years combined. Very few dropped at the shot. Many showed little or no signs of expansion. We also penetration tested a bunch of 223 bullets one year to see which would work best for deer and found the 223 barnes rarely expanded. Personly I wouldn't even fool with a mono metal bullet unless it was at least a 7mm I was fooling with. Id say the 270 might fit in there too but I don't like them and have never kept one long enough to work up a load or shoot something with an x bullet in them.

sixgun addict
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 PM

This is the only load I tried with the 150 grain E-Tip. Not bench rest quality but worked well on the two deer I took with this bullet.
This rifle has also put 150 grain Partitions and Ballistic Tips under an inch at 100 yards on a good day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 PM

20 years ago, I shot a 165 X with Rl 19 in a 300 win mag. I wanted a tougher bullet in case of closer range shooting. I only took 1 deer with it. Through the heart at 25 yds. Accuracy was good, but I would use the TTSX 165 grain when I try to duplicate it. Never tried the other brands so I can't pass judgement. The 168 tsx has a different ogive, than the 165. I read where the 165 was better suited to the 300 win mag due to shorter nose length.
I went to experimenting with other rifles after that, but I think I will pick up some 165TTSX and load them up with Rl 19. Should work better than my old load. I have the current Barnes manual if the OP needs data.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM

In my Ruger .300 Win Mag my go to load is a 165 TSX behind 75 grains of RL22. This is the max load in Barnes #4 manual. I get groups under one inch at 100 yds and have taken deer, pigs, and a nice cow elk this last December in Eastern Oregon.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all recent posters - good info. Magilla - I have those components and the Barnes manuals - Rl22 has worked really well for 200 gr bullets so I'll give it a try. Also have RL 19 and H / IMR 4831's to work with.

Jaydub - thanks for the ogive info - helpful. My rifle has a long throat but I have t he 165's so will start w them.

Lloyd - thanks for the info. I wish I could wait for the right shot. In both caribou I shot this month I was trying for behind the shoulder but there couldn't be much waiting. The animals were dancing around and ready to run. This herd has been hunted hard - probably too often chased by guys on snowmobiles so very very jumpy. Even when not spooked they are constantly walking at a fairly brisk pace. Thanks for all the info and sharing your experience. I know there is no substitute for proper bullet placement. And I worry a little that at distance if I don't have adequate velocity the mono metal may act more like a FMJ.

Right now I need to work on the basics - went hunting again and missed my 1 shot at about 150 -175 being hasty and not having my rifle properly held. That animal was dancing and only allowed a frontal shot. I realized afterward that I didn't have my face aligned w the scope. I need to practice more with heavy winter clothes on - harder to get the butt pulled in tight enough and a good cheek weld.

NRA Life

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 PM

Dand,
the ogive difference was more a matter of short neck length combined with the fact that many 300 win mags have short magazine length. The concern was that the secant ogive of the 168 tsx would not leave enough bearing length to hold the bullet in the case neck during recoil.
All that aside, I hunted caribou the next year with my 300 Winnie. I had been told all about 400+ yard shooting so I used 180 grain ballistic tips. Both of my bulls were inside 150 yards. I would have been better served with the X bullet load.
I no longer have that rifle, but have a different 300 Winnie. I need to pick up a scope and then buy some 165 TTSX bullets. RL 19 worked well in the past so I'll try it again. I'm going with the tipped version as I 've been told it expands easier due to a larger hollow point under the tip.
good luck hunting
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks again jaydub - very helpful info. Now if it would quit snowing and the range thaw enough I don't have to wear snowshoes to set my targets.

NRA Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page