favorite powder for 32H&R mag - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default favorite powder for 32H&R mag

just got a ruger single six in 32H&R mag what powders are you guys using for reloading the 32 ?only powder that i had on hand and had load data was for 2400 i loaded up 50 85g xtp and 50 100g xtps .groups were ok 11/2-2" at 40 ft with the 100g but the groups from the 85g xtps looked almost like a shotgun patteren.also the 2400 was fairly dirty .i was thinking about trying AA#5 if i can find some looking for a good cast bullet load for plinking and a jhp load for small game/varments. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:22 PM

I'm using 5 gr of unique with 85 gr xtp. Spread was not all that great either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I haven't loaded for it in a lot of years but I used W231 back when I did load for it. I cast my bullets in a Lyman mold, don't recall the number on it but they were gas checked bullets a bit more than 100 grains as I recall. I didn't use jacketed bullets. I used it in NRA silhouette competition and needed it to be both accurate and have enough momentum to take out the rams at 100 meters. It did both.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:17 AM

I use about every powder in mine but mostly for heavy loads aa9 and 2400 and for lighter loads aa2, bullseye and unique. Don't remember ever shooting a jacketed bullet in my 32 mags though.

sixgun addict
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM

With 85gr. Hornady bullets I like and have used 5.5gr. of 800x, very accurate load that chronographs at 1250fps. For 100gr. Hornady or 100gr. hardcast, in my opinion, there's no better powder than Lil' Gun. I can get 1200fps with either out of a 4 5/8" barrel with great accuracy. Those same 100gr. loads move out at 1700+fps out of my Marlin rifle. For target work I use 3gr. Bullseye with a 100gr. hardcast that gives 950fps. Hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper...one of my favorites.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

thanks guys just got back from cabellas picked up a pound of ltl'gun and CFE pistol powder and a brick of cci500primers as i was out of spps i had used some fed smp on my first loads .i was talking to a guy that also loads for the 32h&r and he recomended the CFE pistol powder for the 85g xtps and he also said he really liked ltl'gun for 100xtps .i'm going to load up some 100xtps using lil'gun and i'm going to try 2400 using standard small pistol primers and a slightly heaver charge to see if that works better than the first try before i give up on 2400 [2400 is the one of the first powders that i try if it's listed for a round that i'm loading for the first time. it's one of my favorite powders ]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 PM

If you would, could you post your results using CFE Pistol? I've been curious on how well it works in this cartridge. I'm happy with what I'm loading now(see above), but always wanting to know about other powders that I haven't used yet. Thanks and have fun experimenting to see what works for you.

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper...one of my favorites.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM

watch out with that lil gun. It burns very hot and will do damage to your forcing cone.

sixgun addict
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM

That's why I don't use it for 85gr. bullets. Not an issue with 100gr. bullets or heavier. Lil'Gun has been known to damage forcing cones but only when light for caliber bullets are used like a 110gr. in a .357 magnum or a 180gr. bullet in a .44 magnum. I had a long phone conversation with a Hodgdon technical rep. and he told me to use Lil'Gun with standard weight for caliber or heavier and there won't be an issue with forcing cone damage. That conversation was probably 7 or 8 yrs. ago and when I look at the forcing cones on my guns there's no damage being done, even after many thousands of rounds. It's a great magnum type powder when used properly.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM

I use Green Dot for cast AA9 for jacketed.The only powder that didn't work very well was 4227 burned too dirty and would tie up the gun I didn't spend a lot of time with it.AA5 is very good in fact one the best handgun groups I've shot was with the .32 and AA5.I'am using the green dot because I don't shoot shotgun much anymore and trying to use up my shotshell powders but it works fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page