RCBS rock chucker kit? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Default RCBS rock chucker kit?

Dad and I are looking to get into reloading, mostly 9mm, .243,.223 and .45-70.he would also like to load for his .32 ACP, Anyways I've heard good things about RCBS kits, anyone on here use one? We're buying a few books first to get an idea of what we're doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have and love an RCBS Rock Chucker - one of the old originals. It is a great press to learn hand loading, and with reasonable care and maintenance will likely outlast your children (although I've heard some say the quality of the current made in China presses isn't as good as the older made in the USA presses.)

In general the kits are a good way to get everything you need to get started for a reasonable price, though you could likely save a bit if you were to buy used.

BTW, good on ya for getting some books to read and understand what you are getting into. I like the Lee and Lyman reloading books in particular, plus once you get started I recommend having the books from each bullet manufacturer you plan to use. (Powder manufacturer data can be found on their websites for free generally.) You'll also find videos on the equipment manufacturer's websites that can help a lot if you don't have a hand loading friend / relative that can act as mentor. And, many times local gun shops will have hand loading seminars on occasion, so keep your eyes out for those as well.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

The Rock Chucker kit was the best piece of reloading equipment I've ever purchased. I have had numerous other presses and, at one time, had several presses mounted on my bench so I could have a "poor mans' progressive" station. That phase came and went, but the RC has never moved. Mine gets used for reloading and case forming .32 Miller Shorts.

Just my Awf Hand comments...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM

I started with the kit and have been quite happy with it. I added a tumbler is all.
GuzziJohn
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

1.) Kits are excellent, have the basics, and then some, to help you get started.

2.) Kits are economical, containing more NEW products than each can be purchased separately.

3.) Kits do not have ALL of the components necessary to make rounds. You will still have "stuff" to buy following the purchase of a kit (i.e. projectiles, cases, powder, primers, reloading dies, other?).

4.) Regardless of old or new, RCBS equipment is guaranteed for LIFE - yours, not the equipment's.

5.) If anything GREEN (= RCBS) ever bends, breaks, chips, or galls, whether you "beat it with a stick" or by itself, call RCBS Customer Service and they WILL replace it, including shipping, free of charge to you, no questions asked...and they actually don't mind if you tell them truly that you beat it with a stick.

6.) JustaShooter is correct. Used Equipment is cheaper.

7.) Used equipment should be completely functional. You should ask before you purchase. Regardless, it is still guaranteed by the manufacturer (transferable through ownership) for the equipment's life, which is practically indefinately!

8.) However, with Used Equipment you first have to know the equipment you need. That takes a certain amount of experience. You have to take time to find used parts and pieces advertised on the Net. You have to negotiate prices, often on multiple sites. You pay multiple shipping fees (more likely than not). In the end, you get exactly what you bought and no more. Better have a good Mentor to advise you.

9.) The Kit might get you farther ahead in a shorter time.

10.) Come here and ask a million questions. Perhaps you will ask some that have not been asked a hundred times before. It doesn't matter that it has been asked. It is better to ask again. We'll be kind and respond with our opinions, cross referencing, experience, and you can bet if one of us fails in our response, THIS BOARD will correct that right fast.

11.) We at GBO are ALL ABOUT dissimination of truthful and accurate information concerning our collective hobby. Some of it is insight gained from bad experience, which is good experience for the rest of us.

12.) We want you to succeed and enjoy this rather than the alternative.

Last edited by land_owner; 04-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Red face

I started with a used Rock Chucker.. it hasn't aged a day in 15 years. RCBS is a great company. When I moved I lost the handle to my RCBS Trim Pro. I called asking if I could buy a handle, answer was no, it was in my mailbox about three days later at no charge. Most of my dies are RCBS and I have had zero problems with any of my RCBS equipment. Start slow, double check each operation and have fun shooting what you loaded with your own hands.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM
mdi

You aren't going to get any bad reviews on the RCBS kit. I'm not a fan of any one manufacture and my bench is "Rainbow Colored" (not LBGT though!). I have 4 single stage presses, one turret press and one Co-Ax, all from different manufacturers. My dies are the same as is most of my 1.31 metric tons of assorted reloading tools (they have a tendency to reproduce). I don't care for kits as I prefer to research and purchase each tool separately, and usually as I need it.

But as others have already noted, you won't go wrong with an RCBS kit (but don't get into being a "one manufacturer is the best, all others junk" thinker, all makes will make excellent ammo)...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 PM

All I can say is you can't go wrong with RCBS. The majority of my reloading equipment and dies are RCBS, but like mdi, I also have die sets and equipment from Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, and Redding. I also have a universal deprimer die, and a crimping die from Lee, along with Lee case trimmers.

land_owner is correct in saying, a kit is probably the best way to get started. If your like the rest of us, you will end up buying all sorts of stuff, that you'll eventually discover you need.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

My "insanely clean" reloading bench (photo from 2015) is colorful too with RED (Lee), GREEN (RCBS) presses, GRAY (Pact Digital Scale), and SILVER (PatMarlins RockDock , which I was in the process of setting up). Many of the my off-bench supporting equipment pieces are BLUE (Franklin Arsenal).

By the way, RCBS literally stands for Rock Chuck Bullet Swage http://rcbs.com/Company/About-Us.aspx and is headquartered below the tailwater of the Orville Dam, CA.

In retrospect, were I "just getting started", a kit would be my Eye Candy, knowing what I know now and wished I had known then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2252.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	164266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKDock and SHELFDock.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	164274  

Last edited by land_owner; 04-22-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:14 PM
mdi

Land-owner, that's a good use of Rock Docks. I only have room for one, but the system works quite well for a few presses and one spot on my bench...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page