Wanted: Norma 205 powder - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Default Wanted: Norma 205 powder

Wanted: Norma 205 powder in factory sealed canisters only. Would anyone know where to purchase this powder? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 03:35 AM

I don't think it's called Norma 205 any longer. It's now Norma MRP (Magnum Rifle Powder). It's still the same powder, just a different name.
I think Norma shipments only come into the states once a year so it's feast or famine. This may have changed in the last few years, but I don't think so. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

RIP Cal you are missed by many.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 AM

I seen some in fin, feather and fur in ashland, ohio.

What is the sense in preserving collectible items just so they can be auctioned off by uncaring heirs for their pecuniary value ? I am inclined to believe that vintage cars are to be driven, old wine is to be drank, and fine guns are to be shot.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 AM

I recall reading that some of the Norma powders were marketed in the US by selling them as Alliant Reloder powders. I don't know whether 205 was one of thm, or if so, which Reloder powder it is sold as in the US. The advantage to the shooter is lower cost and better availability. You may want to call Alliant about that.

Safety first
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 AM

I found this post on another foum. I hope it provides a valuable clue. ....

Rover,

My favorite load was (notice past tense) 52.0 gr Norma N205 with a 85 gr Nosler Zipedo. Neither one is made anymore, but Nosler is getting back into the solid base bullets and Reloder 22 is a Norma powder that is almost identical to Norma MRP (that took N205's place). The "can" even says, "Made in Sweden" on it, plus I have a copy of a letter from Hercules stating that origin for the Reloder series.

That was a long time ago, about when you got your 700, when I was looking for speed. "Speed kills!" or so I thought at the time. Since then, I have finally figured out speed only kills if it hits what you are aiming at. I load things slower now than I used to, up to a certain point.

#1 son is shooting 27.5 gr Blue Dot in a 7mm Mag with 139 gr Hornady's at about 2300 fps and he killed a doe with that load this year. However, he wanted some of my dad's loads to try, so I loaded 68.0 gr IMR IMR 4350 with those same 139 gr Hornady's. Today that load is a gross overload, but it still shoots just like it has since the 1960's. Three shots touching at 100 yards and no signs of excessive pressure in his stainless 700.

The reported loads today don't even come close to what was used back then. So, all we can do now is use the manuals as a starting point and keep experimenting until we arrive at the desired results. The RL 22 loads in the manuals give a starting point for the 6mm, but it's going to take some time to actually wring a good load out.

A lot of people are scared of the old Speer #7 and Speer #8 loads, but I have brass headstamped .244 Rem from the days when anything other than 100 gr was .244 Rem. I don't know that I have ever had to throw away a .244/6mm case, which indicates safe pressures have never been exceded, regardless of what the manuals say today.

Sorry for the rant. It's just my opinions, so take it for what it's worth.

Safety first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page