Why didn't I buy a Lee Loadall II sooner? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 AM

Location: Northeast, south of "Live Free or Die" soon north of
Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Why didn't I buy a Lee Loadall II sooner?

i like mine, i have the 20 and 16 ga convesion kits for it. in 12 ga all my special load go through it, the mec does the high vol stuff. did have some case flex issues with the cheap winchester hulls. remember if you get any thing but american huls to get the same brand primers,stanard 209's are smaller that rio or cheddite primers. puling the wads, depending which ones ya use can be a pain and a bit messy. most of the one i have to unload just get the shot unloaded and become training blanks for the dogs.

Kevin
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 22LR x2, 22 Win Mag,17 WSM, 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger UV, 22 Hornet UV, 223 Ultra, 223(for now), 22-250 UV, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 30-30, 30-06, 20ga x2, 20GA USH, 12ga USH, 12 ga Turkey, 44 Mag, H&W 45-70 BC, H&R 45-70 BC(for now), 45 LC CC, 500 S&W and 40+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end!" President Harry S Truman Sept 1, 1945
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:30 AM

I have a 20 and 12 model. Used to load my own shotshells all the time. When I did it lead shot was 15 dollars a bag. I used Activ all plastic hulls. They were good shells.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

After crunching the numbers it is costing me $6-$7 to load high brass 1-1/4oz loads. All the top shelf high brass loads are around $15 locally. High brass Herters can be had for $8 and cheap low brass for $5-$6. It will take a year to recoup the cost, but I enjoy loading my own shells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 PM

If you enjoy doing it that's all that matters! If you save a few dollars doing it that's a good bonus.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper

I may not save any money by loading my own but I find it a relaxing hobby for those cold well below zero winter days. Beats stamp collecting or sorting coins way I see it.

Al

Darn right! I will never save enough money on reloading to justify the money I have already spent on components and equipment. But it's money well spent keeping me in good spirits and out of trouble.

"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:01 PM

I have the Load All II for 16 gauge. It doesn't get used a lot, but I have had MEC presses for 20 and 12 for many years. That means I had primers, powder and shot. I only had to come up with wads and hulls.

16 gauge ammo is hard to find here and most that is on the shelf is bottom end loads. The cheap stuff is loaded with cheap soft shot and does not give good penetration. I find I can load premium shot for about the same price as the cheap Walmart ammo. And I bought the Load All II for $25 used. My friend bought it and found he was getting lousy crimps with it. He bought a MEC and found he was still getting lousy crimps. It was the cheap hulls he was using. So I got a good deal. I ordered 100 Cheddite hulls and have been doing fine.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

16ga is definitely one to save money by loading. I was getting some lousy crimps then I weighed my shot. The bushing was throwing the shot a little light. I then used an .030 over shot card and it made perfect crimps.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM

I have a Load-All in 16ga as well. I really don't use it as much as I should...I got it as a gift and loaded a few boxes right away, since then it has been sitting on the shelf. I even bought a bag of #2 steel shot to load my own waterfowl loads, but haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjmpr View Post
I may have to unload the shells I loaded. I realized Hodgons website gave me some bad data. I am using cheddite hulls and they recommended WAA12-F114 wads. That is a tapered wad in a straight shell.
I think you will be OK. A wad for a tapered hull will be looser in a straight hull. Flip that around and you get PSI problems. I trust the powder makers data over the others for hot loads.

Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not Deportable !!!!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 PM

Personally, I'd like to see them re-issue the Loadall Jr.

Has all the good features of the Loadall... but not the complication of powder and shot reservoirs.

Appeals to me as being halfway between Lee Loader Classic and the standards Loadall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page