Pondering a New 4x4 ATV. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Preacherman Send a message via MSN to Preacherman Send a message via Yahoo to Preacherman

Can't beat a Honda I rode a 500 Foreman for 22,000 miles in the oil patch in WV only major repair had to have 3rd. Gear replaced once.
Tuned it up 2 times a year changed oil every 800 miles.
Preacherman

Acts10:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 AM

brother in law owned two foremans. they were good reliable machines but one ride on my 700 grizzly and he took them both to the Yamaha dealer and traded for a new 500 grizzly. Now if you want to replace that Polaris with another Polaris. the xp Polaris's are hands down the best riding atv on the market. there like riding on a pillow. Id pass on one though because of reliability problems ive had with Polaris's in the past. I know a couple guys that have them and love them though and they ran just fine for them. to me its Yamaha that's the winner though. Best fit and finish hands down and just as reliable as anything on the market. Ive owned 3 of them now and haven't put a thing but oil and a plug or two in any of them and my stuff isn't babied. Never had one with 22k on it but had a used 450 that by the time I sold it it had 16k on it and it ran like new. the guy who bought it couldn't believe the odometer. He said it looked and ran more like 1600 miles and it did.

tell you a little story about another 450 grizz (well actually a big bear as that's what they called them then) I worked my life as an electrical lineman. We allways had atvs around to patrol lines and get into the bad places to work. they built a new prison here in our town and we had to put in all the power lines. We had probably 2 miles of trench. Back then we had a trencher and not a plow to burry cable. We only had the one trencher and it had a blade on it for back blading the trench but it was busy trenching. So I got the idea of using our big bear. It had one of those little snow plows on it. We started beating the crap out of it back filling the trenches. It got so hot it seized up tight. We thought we ruined it. Let it cool for 10 minutes and it started up. Boss said to go ahead and use it because we had a dedline to get out of there. We seized it up 4 times that day. the next day I called the Yamaha shop for suggestions and they said they had a little fan setup that would blow air across the cylinder (this was back before they were all water cooled) We ran it over there and they installed it. took it a back and went to work. in that week we beat the snot out of it it seized up two more times (it was hot out) That machine is still in our garage when I retired and still ran like a top and didn't burn oil. How many motors do you know that would still even run after seizing up 6 times let alone not use oil????It was shortly after that I bought my first grizz (big bear) that used 450. Since then ive owned two 660s and a 700. Only thing I wish Yamaha would do would be to make a twin cylinder 7 or 800 to compete in power with the other big boys but really the 700 makes enough and if I was really honest my brother in laws 500 is all the 4 wheeler id ever need anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherman View Post
Can't beat a Honda I rode a 500 Foreman for 22,000 miles in the oil patch in WV only major repair had to have 3rd. Gear replaced once.
Tuned it up 2 times a year changed oil every 800 miles.
Preacherman

sixgun addict

Last edited by lloyd smale; 03-07-2017 at 07:49 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:47 PM

I have a 2016 Honda Rancher manual transmission with power steering and I had been an awesome machine. I have a 1991 fourtrax 300 that stills runs like new after many hard years! Wanted power steering because of a bad shoulder and couldn't be happier. They both just run and I am very hard on them between work and play.

Having owned a bunch of different ones I will say Honda is all I'll ever buy. Although I have a Suzuki king quad 300 that has been bullet proof as well but is showing its age even being 10 years newer than the Fourtrax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM

we have one of those old 300 foretrax at camp. Its kind of the camp beater. Every son, daughter, niece nephew, grandson, granddaughter has beat on that old thing. Looks pretty raggy but it still runs. I don't think the oils been changed in it in the last 10 years or for that matter even looked at. Its one of those things that we though would have gave up the ghost long ago and I think everyone is just waiting for it to happen. Use to be dads, used to be mine, used to be one of my nephews. Now nobody claims it. Even sits out all winter covered in snow. We have to of them like that out to camp the others a 83 Yamaha 200 3 wheeler. I bought it new in 83 don't know how many miles are on that one but if it could tell storys. Things sits all winter in the snow and hit the choke and first flip it fires off. Seat is a cushion someone bungeed to the frame!! Young ones at camp still have a ball with those two old machines. .

sixgun addict

Last edited by lloyd smale; 03-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM

I would make an effort to try a Yamaha. They have been durable in my experience.

Do give power steering a try. Nobody is getting younger and the machines aren't getting lighter. Allows way more power yet easier handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:38 AM

After this last 700 griz with power stearing I wouldn't have another atv without it. Its amazing how much fatigue is eliminated by power stearing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Quiver View Post
I would make an effort to try a Yamaha. They have been durable in my experience.

Do give power steering a try. Nobody is getting younger and the machines aren't getting lighter. Allows way more power yet easier handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sixgun addict

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page