side focus vs AO scopes - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Default side focus vs AO scopes

I have been looking at various 4-16 scopes, especially side focus. Some brands have side focus but say parallax is set at 100 yds.

I thought Side Focus was pretty much the same as the AO function that allowed some adjustment of parallax. I thinks some brands call it side PA or something.

Can some one help me understand this?

For a couple of my air guns I have AO scopes that allow me to aim and focus better from 10 yds to infinity.

What I'm looking for now is a scope for an AR that might be used from 20-30 yds to 300 + and I figured I'd need adjustment.

I don't like reaching way out to fool w the objective lens on AO scopes so thought the SF would be much easier to reach, adjust and stay hidden if I'm working on game.

I need to understand this before I spend big $$ on the wrong thing

thank you

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Default Re: side focus vs AO scopes

side focus and ao are the same thing different approach. I don't know why they would say the parallax is set at a 100 yards unless either its a mistake or possibly cant be adjusted to less then a 100 yards but ive had a ton of both styles and haven't seen one that didn't start at zero yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dand
I have been looking at various 4-16 scopes, especially side focus. Some brands have side focus but say parallax is set at 100 yds.

I thought Side Focus was pretty much the same as the AO function that allowed some adjustment of parallax. I thinks some brands call it side PA or something.

Can some one help me understand this?

For a couple of my air guns I have AO scopes that allow me to aim and focus better from 10 yds to infinity.

What I'm looking for now is a scope for an AR that might be used from 20-30 yds to 300 + and I figured I'd need adjustment.

I don't like reaching way out to fool w the objective lens on AO scopes so thought the SF would be much easier to reach, adjust and stay hidden if I'm working on game.

I need to understand this before I spend big $$ on the wrong thing

thank you

sixgun addict
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Probably a mistake on the ad. Side focus and ao do the same.
I prefer side focus myself.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:48 AM

I have both, like most the side focus is handi-er... : :P :P :P

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks all - very helpful.

I would think they'd want to use the adjustability as a hot selling point.

Its critical to me given the variety of distances I expect to shoot.

OH and now I go straight to the Manfr's website and they are very clear "Parallax Adjustment - side."

I bet the seller site I was checking was a little careless or hasty about posting the products and didn't check all the specs carefully.

have a good weekend!

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Location: Northeast, south of "Live Free or Die" soon north of
Gun Cabinet

i have both also,the side focus does require a good set of lapped rings. went through a high $$ scope because the rings were not perfect, soild base and just a hair off and bound the side focus. i still like the side focus on my long range rifle.

Kevin
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 22LR x2, 22 Win Mag,17 WSM, 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger UV, 22 Hornet UV, 223 Ultra, 223(for now), 22-250 UV, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 30-30, 30-06, 20ga x2, 20GA USH, 12ga USH, 12 ga Turkey, 44 Mag, H&W 45-70 BC, H&R 45-70 BC(for now), 45 LC CC, 500 S&W and 40+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end!" President Harry S Truman Sept 1, 1945
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM

Spend your money on a quality scope with a lifetime guarantee.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 AM

i always check my scopes with AO or side focus at the range at different ranges as more than a few didn,t take the parallax out at the range on the dial. the worst one was a 4x12 leupold and they fixed it for no charge. eastbank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks folks - esp for the warning on well lapped rings and Eastbank for the advice to check at distances. Good to know.

NRA Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page