Zeiss conquest - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Zeiss conquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd
what I see a lot of on the internet is internet experts. they have never compared one side by side with other scopes. That and they just to bash Leopold because there the top dog.
We had this conversation, and I DID compare them side by side, I explained it all in another post some time ago...and I bought the Zeiss...

So, don't get your head swelled up too big, thinking you are the only one who takes the time to compare scopes...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM

never said I was and sure wasn't singling you out. Tell you another thing. Ive seen where two or more people looked through the same two scopes and picked different ones out as the best. What I use mostly to determine whats a good scope is low light. yes its only one aspect but most scopes that are good at low light are good everywhere. I have one Swarovski that was a 2k scope that I got for a criminal price at the local gun shop. Its my standard that others are compared to. When I look at scope performance ill take that one out to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Is it better in low light then the others ive suggested? you bet it is but it should be. But in all reality it only buys a couple minutes at the end of the day when compared to a typical 500 dollar scope.

Now if you want to be a ziess cheerleader please explain to me how many corners they have to cut to go from a 2k scope to a 500 dollar conquest. Also try to convice me that labor in Germany is cheaper then it is in japan where they make the bush 4200 or the Nikon monarch. The best glass in the world used to be made in Germany. But this isn't 1970. today the japs and the Chinese make glass every bit as good as the germans do and yes even glass from America is just as good today. Look at a nightforce or top end leupold or and youll see.

Personaly I more then satisfied with the performance of a 500 dollar scope. If you really want good german glass go get yourself a kahles. Me ill take a vx2 or vx3. Ive used them for over 40 years and my deer shooting goes for 3 months every year and most days find me in the field. They are not decorations on fancy guns that sit in the safe. there working scopes. Ive yet to have a leupold let me down in the field. By the way if you bought that conquest for 300 bucks you bought in many years ago and the leupolds you had to compare it to are not even close opticaly the the same models today. I paid 400 for the last 3x9 I bought and that was a GOOD 15 years ago. If they sold conquests for 300 bucks today id be all over them but ive looked through a couple of those zeiss terra and I personaly think they don't hold up to an optical comparison with a new vx1. I think youll find lots who agree with that. Even they cost more then 300 bucks today.

New conquests are in the 1000 dollar range and from what ive heard (and it surely might not be correct) Zeiss found they couldn't make the conquests to compete at the 500 dollar level anymore so they brought out the terra and improved the old conquests and bumped them up to the 1000 dollar range. So now lets compare them in the real world they cost 3 times more then a vx2 and twice what a vx3 costs. There surely not worth 3 times the price of vx2. But they do have that cool emblem on the turret cap. I'm surely not going to get in some kind of a pissing match over this. I know where my money is best spent. I'm not buying 100k porche either when a new vette will be it in any performance category or a range rover for 80 that isn't as reliable as a 30k ford.

sixgun addict
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
never said I was and sure wasn't singling you out. Tell you another thing. Ive seen where two or more people looked through the same two scopes and picked different ones out as the best. What I use mostly to determine whats a good scope is low light. yes its only one aspect but most scopes that are good at low light are good everywhere. I have one Swarovski that was a 2k scope that I got for a criminal price at the local gun shop. Its my standard that others are compared to. When I look at scope performance ill take that one out to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Is it better in low light then the others ive suggested? you bet it is but it should be. But in all reality it only buys a couple minutes at the end of the day when compared to a typical 500 dollar scope.

Now if you want to be a ziess cheerleader please explain to me how many corners they have to cut to go from a 2k scope to a 500 dollar conquest. Also try to convice me that labor in Germany is cheaper then it is in japan where they make the bush 4200 or the Nikon monarch. The best glass in the world used to be made in Germany. But this isn't 1970. today the japs and the Chinese make glass every bit as good as the germans do and yes even glass from America is just as good today. Look at a nightforce or top end leupold or and youll see.

Personaly I more then satisfied with the performance of a 500 dollar scope. If you really want good german glass go get yourself a kahles. Me ill take a vx2 or vx3. Ive used them for over 40 years and my deer shooting goes for 3 months every year and most days find me in the field. They are not decorations on fancy guns that sit in the safe. there working scopes. Ive yet to have a leupold let me down in the field. By the way if you bought that conquest for 300 bucks you bought in many years ago and the leupolds you had to compare it to are not even close opticaly the the same models today. I paid 400 for the last 3x9 I bought and that was a GOOD 15 years ago. If they sold conquests for 300 bucks today id be all over them but ive looked through a couple of those zeiss terra and I personaly think they don't hold up to an optical comparison with a new vx1. I think youll find lots who agree with that. Even they cost more then 300 bucks today.

New conquests are in the 1000 dollar range and from what ive heard (and it surely might not be correct) Zeiss found they couldn't make the conquests to compete at the 500 dollar level anymore so they brought out the terra and improved the old conquests and bumped them up to the 1000 dollar range. So now lets compare them in the real world they cost 3 times more then a vx2 and twice what a vx3 costs. There surely not worth 3 times the price of vx2. But they do have that cool emblem on the turret cap. I'm surely not going to get in some kind of a pissing match over this. I know where my money is best spent. I'm not buying 100k porche either when a new vette will be it in any performance category or a range rover for 80 that isn't as reliable as a 30k ford.

Well Lloyd, that's quite a crock there, no doubt. At this time, I own over 50 big game rifles scoped with various brands. Bushnell (4200), Burris FF & FFII, Hawke Optics, Leupold, Minox, Nikon, Pentax, Redfield, Vortex, Weaver & Zeiss. No scope has cost me over $500. Do you know that the new Zeiss Conquest line-up is now a 5X zoom? Do you know that It's more expensive to make 5X zoom than 3X zoom (like the older Zeiss Conquest or the Leupold VX2 or VX3?) Likely not. I'd suggest you peruse the Leupold VX-6 lineup to see what they cost.

I bought my first Conquest in 2005, a silver finish 3-9x40 for $400. I just bought my 5th about 3 weeks ago NIB for $365, a 3-9x40. The low light comparisons I've done (MANY!) have shown the Conquest to easily be superior to VX1, VX2, and VX3. The Conquests have also been superior, without a doubt, to any other scope I own in low light clarity and brightness. However, I do prefer my Leupold VX-Rs to the Zeiss in VERY low light and used on a dark colored target. The illuminated reticle makes a big difference there.

So you know, after reading your posts here, your eyes are playing "tricks" on you if you think a VX1, VX2 or VX3 is superior to a Zeiss Conquest. And, I've also had the opportunity to work with a couple Zeiss Terras as well. You talk trash about them, but my eyes show them better than a VX3 and with a better reticle for low light than a standard duplex VX3 as well. Anyone who talks about scopes produced 20-30 years ago within ANY comparison with today's scopes is one silly man. Yup, I own more Leupold scopes than any other single manufacturer, about 20. But I'm not about to say something as silly as that a VX2 is as good as a Zeiss Conquest. Time to go back to the optometrist Lloyd.

For those interested (stop reading here Lloyd) here's a Conquest at a very good price point:

http://www.eurooptic.com/ZRC030940-B...icle-Hunt.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conqu...214809920.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conqu...214209971.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Where my eyes see the Conquest better than any of the Leopold's I've looked through, is when looking toward the setting sun into the edge of the field or woods line... Also, the Conquest just looks brighter when it's getting dark...

That's something I have to do where I deer hunt and why I switched to a Conquest on my "go to gun"...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 AM

I think it might be your eyes playing the tricks. Look around the internet and you will see LOTS of disappointed reviews of the terrra line. A conquest is a big step up in performance from a terra. Bottom line is your NOT buying a conquest for 500 bucks anymore. I don't have a clue as to how the newer ones stack up and don't intend to pay the price to find out. Not when leupold has stepped up there game to the point that the same glass used 10 years ago in the vari xIII is now used in the vx1 and that was the scope that the conquest sold against then and didn't come close to competing in sales and a scope comparison of the day had them about neck and neck.. Or for 200 bucks and the glass in a vx2 with superior glass to either of those.

Scope coatings have advanced since the old conquest line was around. I hope for what there asking for them the ziess scopes have kept up with those advancements like leupold, bushnell, and Nikon have. I know they sure haven't in the terra line. that is proabably the worst bang for your buck scope out there. Its a 150-200 dollar scope with zeiss on the caps and a price tag twice what it should be. Don't get me wrong. I think the old conquests were good scopes. Toward the end when they were discontinuing the line they were even priced fair. I remember when you could get a conquest 3x9 for 3-400 bucks. Now that's a fair price for a conquest.

I too have had a boat load of scopes. difference is when I buy a turd I'm not afraid to admit I was dumb. When I spent more then I should of for the quality I received I'm the first to admit it. I can today buy a dammed good scope from leupold or Nikon for 2-300 bucks. On a fixed income I just cant see paying 3 times that for 2 percent more performance if that. I use my guns and scopes. there in the field 3 months a year. I shoot probably an average of 50 deer a year. I can tell you one thing. If I thought a ziess conquest improved my success rate there would be one on every gun. But a guns a tool to me. It doesn't have to have a fancy name and either does my scope.

For 300 bucks I can buy a vx2 that is rugged has excellent glass and one of the best reputations for durability of any scope and hands down the best customer service of any scope. Nope it doesn't have 5x zoom. I could care less. 99 percent of the time when I'm doing crop damage shooting there left on 6x and ive shot deer at 600 yards like that and in regular deer season there cranked down as low as they go and seldom touched. Truth be told I could get by just fine with a vx2 monarch or 4200 bush 2x7 or 3x9 on every gun I use on big game. If you feel you need more scope then that to gain a few seconds of low light (where in Michigan and most other states your already hunting past legal hours) maybe its you that should take a trip to the eye doctor. Buy what you want but your sure not going to convince me that a new conquest is worth twice as much as what a vx2 costs. Been doing this for 50 years. This isn't my first rodeo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336ER
Quote:

Well Lloyd, that's quite a crock there, no doubt. At this time, I own over 50 big game rifles scoped with various brands. Bushnell (4200), Burris FF & FFII, Hawke Optics, Leupold, Minox, Nikon, Pentax, Redfield, Vortex, Weaver & Zeiss. No scope has cost me over $500. Do you know that the new Zeiss Conquest line-up is now a 5X zoom? Do you know that It's more expensive to make 5X zoom than 3X zoom (like the older Zeiss Conquest or the Leupold VX2 or VX3?) Likely not. I'd suggest you peruse the Leupold VX-6 lineup to see what they cost.

I bought my first Conquest in 2005, a silver finish 3-9x40 for $400. I just bought my 5th about 3 weeks ago NIB for $365, a 3-9x40. The low light comparisons I've done (MANY!) have shown the Conquest to easily be superior to VX1, VX2, and VX3. The Conquests have also been superior, without a doubt, to any other scope I own in low light clarity and brightness. However, I do prefer my Leupold VX-Rs to the Zeiss in VERY low light and used on a dark colored target. The illuminated reticle makes a big difference there.

So you know, after reading your posts here, your eyes are playing "tricks" on you if you think a VX1, VX2 or VX3 is superior to a Zeiss Conquest. And, I've also had the opportunity to work with a couple Zeiss Terras as well. You talk trash about them, but my eyes show them better than a VX3 and with a better reticle for low light than a standard duplex VX3 as well. Anyone who talks about scopes produced 20-30 years ago within ANY comparison with today's scopes is one silly man. Yup, I own more Leupold scopes than any other single manufacturer, about 20. But I'm not about to say something as silly as that a VX2 is as good as a Zeiss Conquest. Time to go back to the optometrist Lloyd.

For those interested (stop reading here Lloyd) here's a Conquest at a very good price point:

http://www.eurooptic.com/ZRC030940-B...icle-Hunt.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conqu...214809920.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conqu...214209971.aspx

sixgun addict
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:33 AM

heres some posts by an optical expert

"Double rifle on top is a Verney Carron Sagittaire in 9.3x74R. Combination below is a Valmet M412 12ga over .308. The double wears a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with Firedot #4 and the Valmet now wears a Leupold VXI 1-4 with Heavy Duplex reticle (changed since photo)"

"I've gotten back the 4 scopes I sent in to Leupold in the last month or so for reticle changes. I tried the post and duplex on the first, but decided I liked the #4 better, so the other 3 were done with it. The scopes were an M8 4X, a Vari-XII 2-7x33, a VXI 2-7x33 & VXII 2-7x28 Compact. All are gloss scopes more fitting for the rifles they are mounted on than newer matte ones."

"Leupold also does a full service on the scopes while they have them and fix anything they find wrong (one erector was found faulty) and then tell you how much adjustment you have in all quadrants. I am more than happy with the quick turnarounds and excellent work done! ;D"

not so much as a word up to this point about ALL the conquests you have. I saw stuff on burris, weaver, leupold and Nikon in your posts but not a word on zeiss. LOTS on leupold. Kind of curious why if you think those conquests are so much superior and worth the price you don't get rid of those leupolds and put a good scope on your rifle. Drilling man has been around here for a long time and I respect his opinion. Hes earned that. Along comes a guy with 50 posts telling me that I need an eye doctor?? Sorry pal but ive been around here for many years and ive also earned the respect I have here.

sixgun addict

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page