Questions re MOA on red dot sights, not scopes - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Questions re MOA on red dot sights, not scopes

Justashooter covered it on how much coverage at different distances.
However, when you turn up the brightness, it can start to glare, and that will make appear larger, and since you cannot see through the glare, if effectively is larger.
You want the minimum brightness you can get away with.
The more expensive models will often have a cleaner, more accurately sized dot. The Bushnell and the vortex, and primary arms are probably going to be the minimums here.
Dovetail on a 30-30? Haven't heard of a red dot mount for any of the micros to fit. Also haven't heard of any 30mm dovetail rings, but I've not looked for them either.
You might have to do the rail adapter mentioned. It might get you your height without a riser.
Do you have any vision problems, like astigmatism? I spent a couple decades filling drawers with red dot because they are all very starry, and unable to use for anything requiring accuracy. Cheap Chinese, Bushnell, vortex, aimpoint, all of them. The new trijicon mro was the best, but still a bit fuzzy. However, all fiber optic powered sights are perfectly sharp.
So, if you can, look through some before buying.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Brownells carries a somewhat heavy duty Picatinn rails that attaches straight to a 3/8 inch dovetail. Has lots of tightening screws, and a vertical clamp down screw, so it should be pretty strong if both epoxied and screwed down to the receiver. (They also carry one that is a clamp down Weaver rail.) People are using these to mount scopes and optics to Mosin Nagants, which are really hard kickers, so they should be OK for a .30-30.

Yes I have an astigmatism in my right eye. Glad you brought that up.

Does this mean a fiber-optic powered unit would be better? What the heck is a fiber-optic powered unit, and how do I tell it from the other types please?

Mannyrock
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock
Brownells carries a somewhat heavy duty Picatinn rails that attaches straight to a 3/8 inch dovetail. Has lots of tightening screws, and a vertical clamp down screw, so it should be pretty strong if both epoxied and screwed down to the receiver. (They also carry one that is a clamp down Weaver rail.) People are using these to mount scopes and optics to Mosin Nagants, which are really hard kickers, so they should be OK for a .30-30.

Yes I have an astigmatism in my right eye. Glad you brought that up.

Does this mean a fiber-optic powered unit would be better? What the heck is a fiber-optic powered unit, and how do I tell it from the other types please?

Mannyrock
You need a prismatic sight. You have to be able to focus the reticle for your astigmatism. You should look at the vortex spitfire line of optics. Burris also makes a line of prismatic red dots.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room. Lifetime member of shootin stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 06:29 AM

yup a vortex spitfire or sparz with the low mount will serve you well

sixgun addict
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 11:11 PM

hey manny what rifle are working with? if its an H&R or NEF handi rifle, it does not have a 3/8 dove tail. you will need a screw on rail. weaver 82 for late model, 60A for early topper.

Mike
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Savage 219B grooved.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock
Savage 219B grooved.
ah, i see. i have an older marlin 22 grooved, i'd like to have a weaver type rail drilled and tapped.

Mike
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to put a clamp-on Weaver WGRS receiver sight on it, and use locktite and JB Weld to make sure it doesn't budge (slide) in the grooves from recoil of the .30-30. I'm also going to put a Skinner XS front blade sight on it, with the white strip. I just want a good little 75 yard deer gun.

Mannyrock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page