Nikon P-223 3-9x40 focus issue - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Nikon P-223 3-9x40 focus issue

I put a used Nikon P-223 3-9x40 on an AR carbine an took it to the range last night to get it sighted in and ready to go at 25 yards, and I noticed something I've not experienced before. That is, if I have the scope power set toward the high end of the range, the target wasn't in focus. I have the reticle focused properly so that if I point the scope at a blank white wall, close my eyes, get a proper cheek weld, and open my eyes the reticle is in sharp focus. If I then aim at the target at 25 yards, the reticle is sharp but the target is very blurry. If I dial the scope power back to the low end of the range, the target is in focus (or if I use the fast-focus eye piece at a higher power I can focus the target, but the reticle becomes blurry).

I've shot plenty of scopes at 25 yards before to get on paper and establish an initial zero and can't remember having this issue before. Is this normal for these scopes, or does the scope have a problem? If there is a problem with the scope I want to deal with it sooner rather than later, but I won't have an opportunity to get out to a longer range for a while to check it at say 50 or 100 yards (single-digit temperatures and too much snow for me to drag these old bones out to my rifle club).

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Can you send me any pics of the scope? I had 2 that had similar issues and I got them to be focused for a general 10 - 150ish yards. Please PM me your email information and as long as it is not a warranty covered scope I will try to step you through the focus adjustment. - thejanitor
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with your scope. Most scopes at higher powers cannot be fully focused or sharp at 25 yards. Parallax on many centerfire scopes is set for 100 or even 150 yards.

If you wish to continue shooting at that distance and have the target in perfect focus, you need a scope with an adjustable objective, side focus or a rimfire model with shorter parallax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwyominghome View Post
There is nothing wrong with your scope. Most scopes at higher powers cannot be fully focused or sharp at 25 yards. Parallax on many centerfire scopes is set for 100 or even 150 yards.
Odd, I've used a number of centerfire 3-9 scopes from other manufacturers before and I *always* set up at 25 yards to get on paper and get an initial zero, and did not experience this. (Ditto fixed power scopes, FWIW.)

I'm familiar with parallax, but as I understand it parallax isn't focus, parallax is the offset of the image relative to the crosshairs as viewed through the scope as your eye moves away from the optical center of the scope. I've never experienced parallax as a focus problem, hence this post.

And, we aren't talking about a little bit blurry, this is bad enough I can't make out holes in the black on a well-lit target.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page