Never just assume you know. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Default Never just assume you know.

Which direction north is without a compass. A man was picked up by an oil field worker here wondering around in the desert lost. He was in pretty bad shape. He told the ER Doctor he had gotten out of his car and walked out into the desert about 100 yards to take a leak. Thinking he would just turn around and walk back the same direction. It didn't happen that way, everything around him all looked the same. No hat, no water, left his phone in the car, and he was found three miles away from where he left his car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Never just assume you know.

I think he was an idiot, I never go out into that desert he was found in without a compass and plenty of water.
He could have died it's happened out there before.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:11 PM

Doesn't sound like he was overly smart to begin with! If I was out in the middle of the desert I don't think I'd walk 100 yards just to take a leak. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce
Doesn't sound like he was overly smart to begin with! If I was out in the middle of the desert I don't think I'd walk 100 yards just to take a leak. :
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this
there must be more to the story. i wouldn't walk 100 yards off a busy highway. i can't help wondering
why he couldn't have followed his own tracks he just got through making unless there was extremely
high wind. even then, turning 180 degrees from where you're standing and walking straight out
toward a landmark should get you close to where your car is parked. guy must have been drunk
or high.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

It was just a recent story in the news paper. I to wonder what he was doing that far off the dirt road.
Unless he was doing #2 and didn't want to go into that. But I've been down where that was, and its big mesquite trees and nothing but sand. There are no landmarks or oil field locations to key off of in that one area.
Stupid yes, but I can see how if he was not familiar with that place everything around him would look the same.

It turns out he was even lost in his car, and he was from Illinois if that tells you anything. This is not the first time we have seen things like this happen. Hikers get lost also, I've run up on a kid pushing his dirt bike because he ran out of gas trying to find his way again. It's those tall mesquite trees they are old growth about 8 to 10 feet tall. You can't see anything and it does all look the same. Even when we are out in places like that spotting game we always at least carry a compass.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

The local militia guys were out training in an area like that and came across two geologist that were lost and they even had a GPS. They couldn't get it to work, something about receiving the data it wouldn't work.
So the guys had to lead them out of there using a compass, but this was years ago GPS was a pretty new thing.
But you would still think a geologist would have a compass on him. But this is a common story now and then it happens. People underestimate where they are at and over estimate thier own abilities.So they wonder around out there unprepared thinking they will only be away from the vehicle a few minutes, and know how to get back.

Usually tourist who want to experience the wild untouched. They experience it alright first hand lol.
BLM says they turn and look around and realise they are lost, then they panic not even thinking about following their footprints back out. So they start walking in circles or in the opposite direction. It's funny yes, but this can kill you, that desert can hit 108 during the day and drop to 45 at night and no available water.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Like my BIL from CA. He went wondering around out there in shorts, sandals, and a tank top. Within 30 minutes he was so sunburned we had to take him to the ER. And it sneaks up on you he didn't know it until he got back.
And he got lost, what saved him was he came up on a drilling crew that gave him a ride back, thinking this guy is stupid. The worse sunburn I've ever seen, and in a lot of pain.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:49 AM

When I taught map and compass I had one young man who brought a GPS, proclaiming its superiority. I took the batteries out and gave it back. Wasn't as good as he thought.

Where is the ammo?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
When I taught map and compass I had one young man who brought a GPS, proclaiming its superiority. I took the batteries out and gave it back. Wasn't as good as he thought.

Or if something happens to its satellite link I've heard of that before. The same kind of argument over electronic gun sights VS iron sights. The Marines found that to many of thier guys were becoming to dependant on the electronics. So they made them qualify again with open sights.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:49 AM

I know that if I had to walk 100 yards to pee, I would wet myself before I got there. I am a roadside man myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page