let me stir up the big truck small truck new truck old truck arugement some more - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Guys Titans and Frontiers are both Nissan NOT Toyota.

Toyota pickup trucks are Tundra and Tacoma, big and small respectively.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

Guzz,

The biggest reported problem with the Frontiers is transmissions repeatedly burning out after 50,000 miles. Some people have had them replaced 3 times before they hit 100,000 miles.

It is apparently an unfixable design defect. An engine coolant chamber is located adjacent to the transmission, with the two areas separated only by a seal. The seal goes bad, and engine coolant is forced into the transmission fluid, mixing with it, to create what is commonly known as "the purple sludge problem." Then, the transmission burns out.

Just go on line, and google "problems complaints Nissan Frontier" You will hear a lot about it.

People also complain a lot about noisy operation and clanking brakes. But those may be fixable.

Mannyrock
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM

The standard cab Toyota Tacoma, 4.0 liter V-6 engine, has been discontinued due to problems.

Starting last year, hey only offer the extended cab Tacoma, with the smaller 3.5 liter V-6 engine, the same engine used in the Camry!

Hopefully, they will work.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM

From mammyrock:
Quote:
The biggest reported problem with the Frontiers is transmissions repeatedly burning out after 50,000 miles. Some people have had them replaced 3 times before they hit 100,000 miles.

It is apparently an unfixable design defect. An engine coolant chamber is located adjacent to the transmission, with the two areas separated only by a seal. The seal goes bad, and engine coolant is forced into the transmission fluid, mixing with it, to create what is commonly known as "the purple sludge problem." Then, the transmission burns out.
Info from the Club Frontier Forum indicates that this was an issue with some trucks from the 2005 through 2010, especially if run under heavy use such as heavy towing and or running hard in hot weather. This was with the V-6 4.0 motors. Fix was to proactively replace with an aftermarket radiator. Mine is a 2013, will see how it goes.
GuzziJohn
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Bill the key words were just what ive talked about. "THE TUNDRA IS LITTLE CHANGED". All the other brands spend tons of money on improving there trucks. Toyota puts out the same thing every year and will adopt new technology only after American brands have proven its a good thing. Things like the advances in fuel injection, transitions ect. Your truck puts out 380 hp and gets 16.5 mpg. Mine puts out 360 and gets 21. Next door neighbors ram puts out 390 and gets 20. Fords are right around 400 and get 22. So where are these small weak motors your referring too? Looking hubs???? Even I didn't know there still using them. Id no sooner want a truck I had to get out and lock the hubs in a mud hole then I would to go back to a single stage press to load 9mm ammo. Bottom line is for years Toyota has been behind the curve on technology by 3-5 years compared to the domestics. Its like ive said many times. They rely on the customers that were brain washed back int he 70s and early 80s when the Toyotas would actually last 2ook and your were lucky to get a 100k out of a domestic. Todays domestic trucks are every bit as reliable, fit and finish is just as good and the technology is way ahead of Toyotas and on top of that cost less. I don't remember when a Toyota won a full sized truck shootout. Before any one gets there nose out of joint I don't think Toyotas are crappy trucks. Far from it. You just get more truck for less money buying a domestic today. So you Toyota fans can buy your Toyotas if you want but you lost the ability to walk around thinking your somehow smarter by buy one that ship has sailed. If they were so much better they sure would at least be competing in sales with the domestics. But all three domestics outsell them by a good margin. Ford and gm probably sell more trucks then all the Toyotas cars and trucks combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
From your own link Lloyd:

Pros: High level of refinement (particularly on upper-line models) and good driving dynamics; quality interior materials; good cabin ergonomics

Cons: The 4-wheel drive is an inconvenient part-time system; fuel economy may come up a bit short compared to some domestic rivals

CG Says: Toyota Tundra is little changed for 2017. Limited models gain a standard power front-passenger seat. Tundras with the 4.6-liter V8 get a standard tow-hitch receiver. It might not have as many configuration options as its domestic-brand rivals, but what Tundra does offer should be more than enough for both commercial and recreational truck buyers. This big rig demands serious consideration, even from those who have remained loyal to one of the Detroit 3.

Why part time 4x4 is considered inconvenient I can't comprehend. I'd want no other type than that and in fact I still like locking front hubs even tho no one uses them anymore. My 2017 is bigger and bolder than my older 2011. Both are SR5 TRD Offroad equipped.

My 2017 is the best riding truck I've ever been in from any brand out there. It has a big 381 HP engine so no I don't expect gas mileage like a truck with a small weak engine. Mileage has no real meaning to me. I drive at most 2500 a year so comfort and power are what I want. I just don't drive enough miles a year to care what gas mileage is. But this one is getting 16.4 mpg for all the miles on it so far.

I actually like Ford trucks and if they hadn't dropped the Bronco in '96 and changed the F150 to be so ugly I might not have switched to Toyota trucks. But they did and I did and I've never had a single issue with any of the Toyota trucks I've owned and I still own two.

I gave up on GM after my new '82 Oldsmobile and '83 Chevy Silverado. Both were junk and I said I'd never own a GM again and won't. I do grant that the new GM/Chevy trucks are the best looking of the current line of trucks. I just won't ever again trust one to come home with me again.

It takes all sorts of trucks to make all sorts of folks happy. I have my favorites like everyone else does. As long as it's working for ya none of them are bad choices I guess. Based on my personal ownership of them however GM branded and Chrysler brands just don't work for me.

sixgun addict
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Again your train of though comes from the 70s. Ive owned 6 new chevs since 1990. I know where everyone of them is right now and there still on the road and have been great trucks. Well ill take that back the 90 is now a dedicated plow truck and isn't drove on the road. It has 260000 miles on it and still doesn't use oil and other then normal wear parts like brakes tires ect all the owners will tell you they were great trucks. Only one I cant comment on is the 15 I just traded in. It was the first one I traded in and didn't sell outright but it only had 30k on it so it should be good. As to your Toyota dealer taking care of you like that, that's great. But you know as well as I that not one dealer in a 100 is going to do that for free. As a matter of fact parts and repair costs are more expensive on an import. Allways were. price a starter for a chev and a starter for a Toyota and your going to pay substantially more for the Toyota part. there are bad dealer and good dealers with any brand. If I bought a ford and they couldn't find a problem with my ac id at least know that about any town in the US has a ford dealership and just drive 30 miles to the next one and buy there for now on. As to your ac failing at 38k that's not a normal thing. Bottom line is anything mechanical can fail. I don't care what brand it is. I'm sure theres someone somewhere that had a Toyota ac that failed. If they were as reliable as you think they are you wouldn't need a warrantee and bottom line is it wouldn't cost Toyota much to give you a 10 year bumper to bumper warrantee. But they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
You are always better paying $5,000 more for a high quality Japanese truck, and getting 10 to 15 years of trouble free use out of it, than buying the cheaper American truck, and having major parts and other stuff just start to break, constantly, after just 4 to 7 years.

Now, I will agree that you have to fully research the truck before you buy it. Even the Japanese have made some real stinkers. The Toyota Frontier is a classic example. A piece of junk from start to finish. They finally discontinued it this year.

I never ever judge the "quality" of a car or truck by its "four year" repair rates and satisfaction. I always research what is going on after 7 to 10 years. And, American made trucks and cars are routinely abysmal in that area.

I once had a small Toyota truck, 9 years old with 200,000 miles on it. I hit a really big pothole while driving it it at high speed, almost knocked my teeth loose. Then, I started hearing a fan-belt type of noise.

Drove straight to a Toyota dealer. They looked at it for five minutes, and told me that an engine mount bolt had broken.

I left it with them for one day. They called me at the end of the day, and said that it had only taken 30 minutes to drill out and replace. And there would be NO CHARGE. NONE.

Try doing that with any Ford.

Japanese cars and trucks are eminently fixable. When something breaks, they know what is wrong, can get the repair part, and simply replace it.

Half the time with a Ford, they dealership can't even figure out what is wrong, much less repair it. Why did my air conditioner component burn out in just 38,000 miles? We don't know! Why does my truck keep cutting off in hot weather. We don't know! Why is my gear shift lever popping out of gear? We don't know. But leave it with us for a week and we'll try to figure it out. Oh yea, the parts are plastic.

Mannyrock

sixgun addict
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Guys Titans and Frontiers are both Nissan NOT Toyota.

Toyota pickup trucks are Tundra and Tacoma, big and small respectively.
My bad. I've never been interested in either of the two brands when it comes to trucks. For years neither built a truck that would fulfill my needs so no interest. The fact that I don't care for their looks didn't help either.

Edited to add: One of my grandsons is driving a '95 Chevy that I purchased new. I gave it to my son when I moved into a duramax and he's passed it on to his son. The only repairs have been a couple of optical cables, a fan clutch and the air conditioner now has a small leak. It has well over 200,000 miles on the odometer. There is a '78 GMC truck that I purchased new that I have passed on to another grandson. There have never been any major repairs on it either. It's in the 140,000 mile range now. He in the process of restoring it. It's still running but is in bad need of a paint job and new tires. Not exactly junk.

Last edited by oldandslow; 03-20-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Guys, I don't buy trucks to prove I'm smart I buy them cuz I like to drive a truck over anything else on the road. I've driven Toyota since 2004 and all have been fuel injection. I'm not mechanically inclined so don't know what all those terms you mention Lloyd even mean.

I get the vehicle serviced by the selling dealer at the stated intervals even tho it never has anywhere close to the miles they recommend when it's done. I don't work on my own vehicles and so far since owning Toyota the dealer hasn't needed to do any work on them either.

All the talk of 200K miles honestly has no meaning to me. I will not live enough more years to put even 100K on my truck I don't expect. At my rate of driving that would be 40 years and I won't be around nearly that much longer.

It is unclear to me what technology you think Toyota is behind on. I'm not trying to argue brand loyalty honestly. Early in life when I bought used I bought more GM branded cars than most tho I've owned Studebaker, Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chrysler, VW, Nissan, Honda as well as Toyota. From the 80s thru 90s I drove Fords both F150 and Broncos then In 2004 I got a Toyota and have driven nothing else since.

Most all of the vehicles I had early had high mileage on them when I got them and problems cropped up that I just traded them rather than keep repairing them. My first new vehicle was a 1970 VW Bug. I've owned four new GM branded new vehicles and only one of the four was a serviceable vehicle. The rest seemed to spend more time in the shop than at my house. I swore off anything made by GM after the '83 Chevy Silverado that followed an '82 Oldsmobile. When I make a promise to myself I keep it so I don't even consider the GM or Chrysler brands period. Sure I might be missing the best vehicles made, dunno but it doesn't matter.

I've never needed any kinda work done on any Toyota I've owned and that's good enough for me. Out on the highway, a place I rarely go really my Toyotas have gotten around 20-22 mpg. But that isn't how or where I drive. I live less than 10 miles from the nearest town and the majority of my driving is to there or to a store even closer. I only make those trips once or twice a week and some weeks don't move my truck at all. A long trip for me is going to Anniston about 20 miles away.

I stopped by Ford after the change in design in '97 because I thought they were UGLY to my eyes. No other reason really. These days I admit that if looks alone were what I used as a criteria I'd likely be driving a GM as I think currently they have the best looking trucks at this time. Even current Fords to my eyes are nice looking trucks again. Dodge is slipping in the looks department to my eyes.

My Toyota isn't the best looking truck on the market these days but the interior is the equal of any of them and that's where I spend my time. This new 2017 is the most spacious and comfortable truck I've ever ridden in or driven of all of them. Admittedly I've not been in Fords, GM or Dodge trucks in several years and so don't know how it compares.

Just as you've chosen Chevy for your truck preference Lloyd I've chosen Toyota. Doesn't make me or you either one wrong, just a personal preference thing. I'm not trying to convince anyone they should drive what I drive tho I think they'd also be well served doing so. It just really makes not the slightest bit of difference to me what brand anyone drives. For me personally I don't see me driving anything but Toyota trucks for the rest of my driving days.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM

Lloyd,

All of my experience with Toyotas and Nissans vs. Fords has been in the time period of 1989 through 2007.

GB's experience of total and utter reliability with Toyotas has been mine as well.

If you have had good luck with your GM's, that's fine by me.

Toyota behind on technology? My vehicles have air conditioners, electric windows, 4wd, a standard cd player with radio, and a heater, and that's it. That's absolutely all I need. I'm buying a vehicle, not a home entertainment center. Sorry if others need a Blue-tooth 6 and Ipods built in. Too bad for them. :-(

Mannyrock
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
From mammyrock:

Info from the Club Frontier Forum indicates that this was an issue with some trucks from the 2005 through 2010, especially if run under heavy use such as heavy towing and or running hard in hot weather. This was with the V-6 4.0 motors. Fix was to proactively replace with an aftermarket radiator. Mine is a 2013, will see how it goes.
GuzziJohn
More V6 problems imagine that. I would have never thunk it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page