Graybeard Outdoors banner

Most beautiful automobile

6K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  Merle 
#1 ·
Here in my opinion, is the best looking car produced in America during the last 50 years of the 20th century.. What's your choice for that time period?
1953 Studebaker, designed by Raymond Loewy...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
1970 ss 454 chevelle convertible would be my hands down first choice. Second would be a 70 aar cuda. third 61 bubble top ss impala, forth split window 63 vette. Honorable mentions would include the 70s gs buicks, 442 cutlasses, GTO judge, 71 z28 Camaro, 70s Dodge challengers, dusters/demons, c5 zo6 vette. 67 big block vette, buick grand national and the 80s iroc Camaro.

#7 ·
1957 Golden Hawk is a beauty in my eyes but would prefer a black one. My folks were Studebaker fans till they went out of business. I learned to drive a car with a 1950 champion my moms car till in the early 1970's.

Fellow in town has several Studs, a black 1957 Golden Hawk seems to be his favorite, but can be seen as several old cars shows thru the summer with a Avanti burgundy in color. or a green lark.

:D Al

#8 ·
Was never much in to the muscle cars when I was young. Seen a New Mercury marauder x100 at a Ford Mercury dealer in Sept 1968 with my dad getting a part for his Mercury.
I fell in love with it and placed order shortly after but timed it to arrive in April 1969.
had a 429 cid engine auto trans and would scoot right along.
Pull the fender skirts in the fall and put snow tires on it and it would plow some snow it was so heavy at 4600 + pounds. I can only remember putting the tire chains on it once.

Today I enjoy driving my 1985 Buick LaSaber collectors edition a lot and taking it to shows. New enough many can remember owning one or seeing them on the road so I hear lots of nice story's.

#9 ·
The 1965 Mustang is probably my favorite. However the 1971 Plymouth Duster, 1971 Z28 Camaro and the 1971 Oldsmobile 442 are all right up there. I guess it was harder then I thought to pick just one.

Jim

#10 ·
Asking what the most beautiful automobile is is the same as asking who is the most beautiful woman, or rifle, or a multitude of things. And you know what's said about opinions.

If I was forced to choose an automobile I would have to go with the original Corvette but there have been a bunch of others that were great also.

#11 ·
There are way too many to pick from, I love so many of them but I'm partial to GM's from the late 60's/early 70's. Here's a few favorites:

67 Buick Wildcat:

70 Old 442 W30:

70 Buick GSX:

67 Impala SS427:

#12 ·
those pics remind me of a few more. the 65-67 big block ss impala (especially the 67 fast back like you pictured) , the buick Rivera, 66 gto, 67 fast back nova. 63 galaxy 500xl (had to include at least one ford for you ford lovers)
There are way too many to pick from, I love so many of them but I'm partial to GM's from the late 60's/early 70's. Here's a few favorites:

67 Buick Wildcat:

70 Old 442 W30:

70 Buick GSX:

67 Impala SS427:

#21 ·
Good call, that's one of my favorite Chevy's of all time. If I had to pick between a 70 Chevelle and a 70 Monte Carlo I'd actually pick the Monte Carlo.

#42 ·
LOL! The Cigar Car.

Someone posted the Stud.Golden Hawk.My all time #1favorite car.2nd place for me would be the early T Birds. The main difference in cars of yesterday and today for the most part was character.They all were and looked different. The cars today all look similar. No character.!

#26 ·
Some here replied asking which was best looking car would bring many different answers. I was well aware of that, which is why I started the post with "in my opinion". I knew full well that there would be plenty of answers, but that is the fun of such an exercise.
No, I don't think there is any "thread killer" design...and I did specify "made in America"..LOL

One poster said he could not see the photos I posted. I have no idea what the problem is, but then I am no whiz with computers. So if no pics showed, here is the car I was talking about: https://www.google.com/search?q=195...VMSCYKHUMOAU8Q_AUIBygC&biw=1138&bih=515#spf=1

#28 ·
Mine would be a 300 chry. 2 door Kelley green with matching green and white leather a real car.

Deaconllb

#30 ·
I got to try to fix a lot of leaking clam shell rear gates on the 71 thru 76 Pontiac. What a pain in the kister they were. I was sent to Pontiac motors for 2 weeks to work with engineers and their repair guys to try to see if an easy fix could be found.
None ever was just remove all the weather seals pack lots of dope around a string in there reinstall the seals and spend several hours adjusting the clam motors.

Was not disappointed whey they stopped making them and the warranty's ran out.

#31 ·
I was only 17 when I bought a 1957 Desoto Fireflite 2dr HT. It was pink & white, drove and rode like a dream.

I found that parts for it was on the costly side so when a older guy offered me some money for it I let it go.

;D Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.