Thank you all.......and an update - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Default Thank you all.......and an update

Just a quik note to update y'all. We have been going to Minnesota to Mayo Clinic for Joyce's treatment and I have been remiss in expressing my gratitude to all of you here at Graybeards. The kind words and prayers from all of you have been a Godsend, we were stunned by your incredible response to our situation. Words are totally inadiquet to thank you with. I can only say God Bless You......each and every one of you!
As for where we are at the moment; When we went to Des Moines for treatment they tried to put a stent into Joyce's pancreas and failed. So they put a drain tube in her side with a bag for the bile to drain into. Then sent her home with no instructions on how to care for it, clean it, replace it. It was a nightmare for her. We figured out on our own how to change the dressing over the hole in her side. But other aspects were beyond us. We later learned that the drain was also draining electrolytes from her and made her extremely weak, which we were never told about. (we also later learned that she was supposed to return to the hospital for weekly changes of the drainage bag and check ups...they never told us that nor did they ever follow up and check on why she didn't do this) It felt like they had essentially washed their hands of us.
Friends told us about Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, they are supposed to among the best in the world with cancer treatment. So we made an appointment there and went for a consultation.
The first thing the doctor said was "why is that thing still in your side?" He told us that after it was put in it should have been used as a pathway to place an internal stent so her body could drain the bile naturally. He set up appointments for her to take care of that thing. This week we went back and the drain was used to place the new stent, and then it was removed, a port was put in her shoulder for blood draws and chemotherapy. The port is under her skin and needs no care, it will make all the blood tests a lot easier too. We also met with a surgeon and an oncologist. They told us that the cancer is "stage two" and after some chemo it can be removed surgically......and without gutting Joyce like a fish! It will be done orthoscopically! Of course they told us there are no guarantees, but we have hope now. At least they seem to want to actually help us and they want to be aggressive about killing the monster.
My health issues: I have COPD, a bum ticker, hypertensive, and now diabetes. The diabetes was out of control (I had long controlled it with diet and exercise) and was taking my eyesight very fast and was causing nueropathy in my hands and feet. I am currently waiting for my third lens change since the first part of January, so I can see again. I actually had a sugar reading of over 600. My doctor actually used the words "You must feel like CRAP!" It is coming under control now with insulin and oral meds. Doc says the insulin is just a temporary measure and once things are under control he will wean me off of it.
And that is where were are right now. We have hope. Probably in large part due to the kind words and prayers of all of you! Again, Thank you and God Bless You All.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

God bless you both. Your first post was just to close to home for me to answer but Kathie and I are both praying for you and Joyce.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM

It's good for "some" good news.
We continue to pray for your family.

Try to keep us updated because I'm sure everyone here wants to hear from you.

democrats are in favor of the wholesale slaughter of God's most precious; unborn babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:35 PM

truly, brother.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM

My prayers are still there for Joyce and you...Congratulations on the great news about Joyce. Keep praying yourselves and all will work out the way God has it planned...<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM

CUTS. Just now saw this, sounds like prayers are still being answered my friend May God continue to bless you and Joyce my friend. CHARLIE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page