Graybeard Outdoors banner

My daughter, brain tumor.

5K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  mtdotcomm 
#1 ·
My daughter CHERYL WRIGHT of St Elmo Ill. has a brain tumor at the base of her skull.She will be operated on early this Thursday May 11 in St Louis. Drs have kept putting it off but it has grown to the point that it has to be removed. This operation can heal her, paralyze her, even kill her. She will be in the hospital at least 3 weeks. This is very serious. She has to be there at 5 AM Thursday. I am unable to be there for her, all I can do is pray and ask others Christianss to do the same. Please pray for my baby girl. I likely won't comment anymore til she's out of surgery. CHARLIE.:tango_face_sad:

#4 ·
PM, remember that God doesn't give us more than we can bear.
prayers sent.

#6 ·
Prayer sent.

#8 ·
My baby girl made it fine. Drs were able to go through her nose but only able to get 95% of the tumor. The rest is attached to blood vessels, brain, and I think he said bone. She is now breathing on her own. Likely be having chemo in 8-10 months. Darren has been a great husband the past 20 + years. This has really scared me, I'm still really stressed, hopefully no nitro pills tonight. I truly Appreciate all of the prayers, she needs every one of them. CHARLIE. Grin

#10 ·
Cheryl had a stroke this morning on her rt side, oxygen dropped to 82. She is getting an MRI and other tests rt now. Please pray for her. CHARLIE.

#12 ·
DARREN called. Cheryl had a stroke on her rt side this morning. She can't talk because of tubes but has been opening her eyes and looking around, She knows him and others. Went down for an MRI, her oxygen dropped to 86. The dr said a stroke is pretty common after an operation like this and most people recover fully. Darren said she could squeeze his hand a little bit. Please Keep praying for my baby girl. CHARLIE.

#14 ·
They will leave the breathing and feeding tubes in till Monday. She is more alert today. But she still can't squeeze his hand with her right hand. She can move her right foot some just going to take more time and she will do better just going to be a longer road back than we planned. But SHE WILL BE BACK! CHARLIE.

#17 ·
Cheryl had the tubes removed yesterday. No response on moving her hand or arm. She was able to move her leg slightly at the hip. Drs are getting a speech therapist for her. She wants us there, we want to be there too. No car, no money. A friend let us use his car, One of our boys will take us there in the morning. How much oxygen to take?? Can't forget that.
We have a family reunion in a couple of weeks in Turkey run Indiana. My brother is renting us a car for us, from there we were planning cutting over into ILL to see Cheryl, now she may not be home by then. She is in Barnes in St Louis. Patty is packing clothes and getting the oxy tanks ready to load up in the morning. I can't travel like I used to be able to do, I've taken nitros 2X since her operation. All very depressing, but I'll be able to see my baby girl tomorrow. All prayers appreciated. CHARLIE.

#22 ·
We got back last night. I thought Darrin had told her we were coming, he hadn't, she was shocked and cried when we hugged. When we walked in I asked, do you still give hugs, she said I sure do then teared up.
W there was a bit of movement to her rt leg but not much, none to her foot.
No movement to her rt arm or hand. I moved her arm, hand, and fingers around, she said it felt good but no movement on her part.
Thursday morning she could pull her arm back and forth on the pillow. Still nothing for her hand and fingers. Her arm was tingling yesterday which was good.
Food hurts her throat to try and swallow, Darrin fed her some ice cream. Her speech has also been affected pretty bad but she talked most of the time we were there, pretty hard to understand her.
When they brought her dinner 5 of us tried to figure out what it was, finally I found a split pea. They bring her real food but she cant swallow it, She didn't even try her scrambled eggs yesterday morning. She's losing weight fast and if she doesn't start eating she will have to have a feeding tube put in her stomach.
She and I BOTH needed that visit, I wanted to stay longer but our driver had to be back home yesterday, or I would have stayed. Thanks for all of the prayers, she needs all of them. More later. CHARLIE. Grin

#23 ·
Shawn had to bring the truck, we were kinda cramped up but we got there and back in good shape. Darrin just messaged me that Cheryls spirits are way up after our visit and that she has a bit more movement today but still nothing in her foot, toes, hand, or fingers. Her mind is messed up too but I know that is normal after an operation like this. I got to talk with the surgeon and he seemed well pleased with her progress.

That truck about beat us to death, rough ride.

When Shawn and I went to go to the hotel there he offered to bring the truck around front but I told him I could make it, not realizing how far it was. He lost the truck so I had to stay in the parking garage sitting in my walker. I backed up against a truck along the walkway and must admit I felt more than a bit vulnerable. Patty had insisted I leave my pistol in the truck, and with the walker couldn't carry the cane. The truck was next level down.
I overextended myself the first day and couldn't make it to her room Thurs, my SIL pushed me in a wheelchair. I had him stop out in the hall and switched to the walker, didn't want her to see me like that.

The dr went through the nose into her sinuses and removed bits of the tumor at a time from one then the other. The head nurse was told by several others that something wasn't right the day after surgery so she went to see herself. She got more than a bit upset and said that she is having a stroke, that the others didn't catch, a blessing she caught it, I likely would have lost my baby girl. CHARLIE.

#26 ·
Have Faith I went through the same thing a while back I went to John's Hopkins Hospital very long operation but came out of it fine I had occasion to speak to Dr. Ben Carson and I asked him why he didn't operate on adults he said because the success rate is better with children than adults. May the Good Lord take care of your daughter she will be in our prayers the wife and I

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.