Need advice on cooking for low carb meals - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Default Need advice on cooking for low carb meals

My wife wants to cut carbs big time from her diet. She wants to lose some weight (not fat, a little chubby in mostly the right places)

Anyway, I want to support her with this and this is a new experience for me. I've always used a balance of carbs like rice and pasta and taters and bread. It's hard to imagine the options for reducing these significantly, but I know I will have to do it. I think it's ridiculous to try to eliminate them entirely as that will be unsustainable.

Have you done this? And if so, can you share some tips on making it sustainable, and also make enjoyable meals? I'm guessing that we are gonna need to add fat and protein otherwise she'll (we'll) be hangry all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Talking

As a type 2 diabetic I have cut my carb a great deal. Most of the current 400 million people worldwide with type 2 diabetics do as well.

Lots of good information on line for cutting carbs and carb free or low carb meals.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Any diabetic cookbook will get you there.

What do you mean plan B didn't work and you need duct tape and safety wire?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM

That's what I was going to suggest. Diabetic diets and cooking will do exactly what you're looking for. I have always fed my dogs exactly what I eat, so everyone in the house is on the same diet. Well one of them got diagnosed as being diabetic a few months ago, so every one here is now on a diabetic diet. Mainly just less bread, less potatoes, and more greens and protein. You know, I hunt and fish for most of my protein anyway, and this just gives me an excuse to take an extra hog a month and keep one or two more trot lines out in the water. Honestly, the only thing that is bad is that I know she (the dog) hates having to take insulin twice a day, but that's what she needs so she gets it.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!!! I didn't make the connection with the diabetic diet, but that makes total sense. I appreciate it, and will head over to the library to check into this. I like that you used the term 'less'. I have known people on low carb diets who went overboard and tried to cut out practically all carbs, and they had some weird diets that they couldn't stick to for more than a couple of months. There has to be a sensible balance.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Also, I've never heard of a diabetic dog. I hope he's all right.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Conan,
Look at it this way, it's all a balancing act. You take away one thing, but have to replace it with something else to maintain health and nutritional needs. Vegetables are good, but you have to be careful as to what you give. I mean, and this is a bad example, but everyone thinks of salad as good for you, and it is, UNTIL you do what I like to do and smother it in cheese, meat, and dressing. As that point, you may as well have eaten the cheeseburger with an extra large order of fries. When it comes to diabetic diets, and I had no clue on this til I started digging into some of my recipes to figure out what I need to change when Molly got her diagnosis, there's two things you need to look into with various foods : sugars and carbs. Sometimes, they are the same thing, other times, they aren't. Basically like the sugar in an apple is a complex sugar that has nutritional value, while the sugar in a soft drink or candy bar is basically trash, just due to how they act in your body. In my case, I used to make a crockpot full of split pea soup about every other week, and the dogs love it (I'm sure the 1-1.5 pounds of pork I throw in doesn't hurt their feelings) as much as I do, but peas have more sugar than beans, so I now make bean soup instead. We like it just as much, and it has less sugar, fewer carbs, and more protein than the same recipe when made with split peas. I also tend to make a lot of asian dishes, mostly Japanese inspired. Well, Molly can't have much pasta and rice, so she just gets more meat, or some beans, and goes nuts over sea weed or squash. So I stir fry some squash and sea weed into the mix, and use maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the rice or pasta I used to. It's easy, but it is an adjustment. The pork I use is almost all wild hog, so it's low in fat compared to store bought, and I usually shoot one every 2-3 weeks, depending on how big a hog I get, and how far I try to stretch the meat between our meals and giving some away. The fish is the same, locally caught, mostly on trot lines since that's a good way to provide for me and mine without spending all day with a pole in hand when there;s other things I need to get done, like that work thing my boss insists I show up for.

As to diabetic dogs, according to my vet, it's a 1 in 500 chance on average of a dog becoming diabetic, and he said it has nothing to do with diet or anything like that, so it's not like human diabetes in that respect. It is purely hereditary. But as far as symptoms, treatment, etc, it is identical to human diabetes. So she's fine, just had to get used to a diet change, and getting an insulin injection every 12 hours or so. After a few months now, she knows she gets her shot after her meals, so she eats, then comes and lays next to the fridge (where her insulin is kept) to get her shot, and off she goes as soon as she gets it. I mean, I know she doesn't like it, but has accepted it as part of her routine, and doesn't give me any grief over it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

LoneGun1894,

Thank you for the thoughtful post. I appreciate it. It's clear to me that I have a lot to learn. I'm used to using a certain amount of, say, rice, for a meal and then make other stuff to balance with it. Now I need to change that balance, and it looks like it will take some trial and error.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM

I've been doing a low carb diet for a few years now, it's the only way I can successfully keep weight off. There are various diets in the low carb realm but what works for me is staying under 25 carbs per day. It's a major lifestyle change but I would never go back to eating like I used to. I have way more energy now, feel better, don't get the frequent migraine headaches I used to get and I weigh only 10 lbs. more than I did back in high school.

If she can stick with it she'll end up feeling so good that she'll have no desire to go back, that's how it's sustainable for me. When I first started doing it I'd occasionally cheat and ended up feeling like crap. I did that enough times that I'm now happy staying on the diet. You have to really pay attention to what you're eating because there are carbs and sugar everywhere. I count carbs daily. Some of my staples are pork loin, chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach, green beans, lettuce, onions, butter, provolone, mozzarella, swiss, eggs, bacon, heavy cream, sardines and and fish of any other type. I eat red meat once in a great while and nuts of various types but I keep the quantities small on those. If she wants to lose weight fast tell her to stay under 20 carbs per day for two weeks then up it to 25 per day after that. Ideally you want about 15 of those carbs to come from vegetables every day.

Also, tell her to be careful with online low carb recipes. Some of them still have a lot of carbs per serving. Especially the sweets recipes that use sugar substitutes. They end up tasting pretty good but the serving size is tiny so you can't pig out on them. There's some great recipes out there online but you just have to pay attention to the carb count.

"Paper is poverty...it is the ghost of money, and not money itself."

--- Thomas Jefferson May 27, 1788

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Also, be careful with onions. You can eat some but you have to stick with small portions due to a high carb count. Scallions are a great substitute for onion flavor because they are lower in carbs.

"Paper is poverty...it is the ghost of money, and not money itself."

--- Thomas Jefferson May 27, 1788

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page