Graybeard Outdoors banner

YUM Hot Dogs

905 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Bob Riebe 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Bummer! I hate when that happens, but I guess it goes with the business of highly automating the production of large volumes of food. There was an ice cream company a couple of years ago that had a serious problem like that. Blue bell? It's a highly regarded brand in the south.

Anyway, after decades of threatening to try Nathans hot dogs, I finally tried some a few months ago. Not bad. But I still prefer my ol faves: Hebrew National. Even Hebrew National has different products in their line. Three major ones are the original long skinny hot dogs, the thick ones, and the low calorie ones. I've tried them all. First of all, do not bother with the low calorie ones. If you're going to eat a hot dog, it's not health food. Just get the full fat dogs. Then there's the thick ones. Can't rememeber what they're called. Jumbo, I think. Very good, but that's a lot of meat. And they're quite salty. Sometimes I prefer these and other times I prefer ... The original long skinny hot dogs. I generally prefer the originals.

In any case, the dog needs to a) not have any metal shards in it, and b) be condimented with KMRO (pronounced kim-row): Ketchup Mustard Relish and Onions. What kind of ketchup? Your discretion. What kind of mustard? Your discretion. Likewise for relish and onions. Don't like sweet relish but do like dill relish? Glory to your sport, man. Just use some kind of relish. Bread? I prefer sliced soft bread like a soft supermarket multigrain.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't eat hot dogs or bologna. Right up there with eating dog turds if you ask me. Give me some venison back straps on the grill or a good burger any day over a tube of entrails. Sorry but I wouldn't feed them to my dog! My wife has to wait every year till I head to deer camp to make herself ring bologna because I wont let her cook it when I'm in the house! Id bet that if everyone who ate them watched a video on how there made wand whats in them that the hotdog makers would go broke.

#12 ·
When I was training for my meatcutting certificate, we made weiners

and head cheese.

we used good quality meat products, and it made little difference in the weiners, except they were dry.

the head cheese was awesome as it was VERY meaty and made a dandy sandwich meat.

there is a limit what you can put in sausage... otherwise the flavour and texture will be off, but weiner seasoning had hide A LOT!

Conan, that picture has got to be a joke! Please... say you didn't actually see this!

#13 ·
I didn't take that picture. I found it on the web. But I assure you it's legit. I have seen that same list of ingredients on Mexican style chorizo, and you will too if you can find it at your supermarket. The Mexican chorizo is nothing like Spanish chorizo. Mexican is soft like wet muddy soil. Scrapple and potted meat have similar ingredient lists.

Interesting that you say that about wieners and their seasoning. A lot of German sausages are ground to a paste like hot dog meat is. I'm guessing it's to hide gross stuff in an appealing sausage.

I used to make my own pork sausage links, and used good quality pork shoulder roast as the meat. It did have some fat in it, but not nearly what would be in commercial sausages. They were dry, but that's what I wanted. I wanted them low fat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.