Binoculars - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Default Binoculars

I have a Vortex Viper HD 8x42mm bino. Will this be useable for spotting if I buy a tripod and an adaptor? I know a spottingscope would be better, but I cant afford one at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225
Default Re: Binoculars

Slightly more power and the same light gathering ability as a 7X35. Should be good if the lenses are of good quality. Don't know the brand.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

When I first got started in High Power shooting I would use a pair of Binoculars. Untill I could afford a Spotting scop. There are some relitivly enexpensive spotting scopes out there. Evne a telescope can be used, just make sure it is terrestrial and not celestrial (these are upside down)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM

Same binos I use, though mine are 10X. Great glass, they're plenty good for spotting silhouette. Especially handgun matches that only go to 200M.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:47 AM

I tried using 10x binos at the 100 yard range, but couldn't see the .30 cal and smaller holes very well.
I would guess it would be much easier to see if a target was knocked over though.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 PM

"I tried using 10x binos at the 100 yard range, but couldn't see the .30 cal and smaller holes very well.I would guess it would be much easier to see if a target was knocked over though."
True enough, though you can probably see which are over without a glass.
A spotting scope allows your spotter to tell you where the bullet hit, so you can correct, if need be.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 AM

For about 15 years I have used a Nikon 16x50 power binocular. It serves very well for both rimfire and centerfire distances. They are not well suited to picking out .22 holes on paper. A spotting scope at 45x is better. The binocular is handy and does not need a tripod, however a tripod is nice to have. A true spotting scope shows its advantage when spotting tie breaker targets. rp
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the answers. We have used my bino with good luck this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page